Good area to live near Bangkok free trade zone?

JohnMc45

Not an expert but a keen solution finder and having located the BFTZ, 20-25km ESE of the city, the good old google map shows the Vintage Club Village and Vintage Club, within 8 to 10 km (at a guess) of the zone and in the same ESE direction. Just zoom-in to the area, right of the zone and you'll soon spot them. From your very brief brief, this is where I'd be looking. 

http://www.prospectd.com/showmap.php

Thanks for the suggestion not a golfer but the boss is I will pass it on.  I have been using a lot of the good old google maps and street view is great for finding things.  However its not always right and it can't tell me if I will be the only farang for 5km. A area I was looking at is Bang Na Garden village there looks to be a large number of condo's there. Anyone have any information about that area? 

Out there is basically nothing, i've been to the area a few times, a friend stays there with his wife.

Have you lived in Thailand before?

In this area people usually won't be able to speak english, there are nearly no foreigners (never saw any other farang there, but maybe you have some colleagues at work)

But you don't have much choice. If you wanted to stay somewhere near the BTS it would take you probably more than 1 hour per way with a car to go to work / home, so this doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

So maybe just find a place that's close to your workplace for Monday to Friday, and on the weekend stay in BKK. You should consider staying in a hotel for the first 1 or 2 weeks, and see how you like it out there before you rent anything for multiple months.

First trip to Thailand. The live in Bkk near BTS then taxi idea M-F dose not appeal to me to much. I would think most of the traffic would be into Bkk in morning and out at night? So it may only suck in time. But when I was in Manchester for the company a couple years ago didn't find I did much at nights M-F and I have seen a bunch of Bkk hotels for less then it would probably cost M-F to commute to stay Saturday night in the city.  

Yes, if you would have to take a taxi every day then a hotel on the weekend would be cheaper than the taxi M-F

Actually from your place of work, since you are outside of Bangkok already, it doesn't take a lot of time to go to Pattaya, so that's also an options for the weekends, depending on what you like

Edited by jackdd

Yes probably go to Pattaya some weekends. Will do the bridge over the river Kwai one weekend. Have to spend some more time digging here and on some of the travel sites probably find some other places that are weekend trippable.