Adopt a Thai child

Aditi Sharma

How difficult or painful is it to adopt a child if one is not married? If you are an expat and want to adopt a Thai child who will inherit your wealth back home, how do you go about doing it? What is the meaning of temporary domicile because I came across this at a website:  A Foreigner who has temporary domicile inside Thailand with the proof of work permit issued by the Labor Department of the Ministry of Labor of Thailand [and] has been residing in Thailand [for]at least 6 months prior to filing the application and is able to complete the six month period of pre- adoption placement in Thailand can submit the Thai adoption application along with the required documents certified by their embassy or [consulate] in Thailand to the Child Adoption Center of DSDW.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

Any persons of Indian origin out here who have successfully adopted a child or have known Indians adopting children from Thailand, please share your comments. 

I have a 2 year time horizon on this. Wish to adopt a child as I have no plans to marry. I wish to know how tough it would be for me to do so. 

Am a woman aged 38 years live in Mumbai and Lansing, Michigan.

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

What is the significance or relevance of saying "...who will inherit your wealth back home..."?? Could you quantify the wealth so that you can get better advise?

It would be unseemly to quantify my wealth in public but I am seeking an understanding on adopting a child from Thailand for myself. The idea is to raise a child as my own. It would be natural for somebody to ask me why Thailand when there would be millions here. Well, there isn't correct answer to that. If I say I love Thailand, I think it's not fair to be asked if I loved India any the less because of it.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

To adopt in Thailand you have to be a man and woman who have been married for three years unless you are a woman, in which case you can adopt a "special needs" child.

Thailand does not recognise same sex marriages.

It is impossible for you to adopt a "normal" without being married.

Edited by blackcab

Can I talk directly to foster homes about my need to adopt a child or do I have to deal with an agency? I think a single woman can only adopt a special needs child and the definition of special needs is also discretionary. I personally am in awe of marriages which work but it is not the thing for me. If I have to sign an undertaking that I would never marry in my life, I am prepared to do so. 

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit