Versys 3525 kilo trip.

Kwasaki

My second long trip on Versys 650 this time down South of Thailand from Sukhothai, all the crap about oem brakes and suspension being no good is as usual in the head of some critics. 

The Versys 650 ABS is a Strong comfortable bike for a tour of Thailand, the only thing l would say against it is weight but it deaden's the road holes & bumps.

The back roads are what we took and they can be tough but seeing pot holes the size of dustbin lids can be better fun than the crazy main highway routes, very little traffic if any and moss growing across the road.

Only one casualty for the Versys the cover exhaust end plate, only 2 oem spot-welds, it came loose so took it off gonna get 4 spot welds done.

22519573_10155845715280990_1870985010678505176_n.jpg.02a117209d12ca4052f62442edd99be1.jpg

Critics - most give their opinions on subjects they know nothing about. Or ride a bike - test a product - for 5 minutes and tell you what is good and bad about it. Or those who rode a bike 25 years ago for 2 days - liked it - and can not stop talking about what a wonderful machine it is. Ever notice that the ones with years of experience do not give their opinions so readily ?  To busy laughing at all the know-it-alls who know-SFA. TV a prime example. Ride a Honda Wave and make comments on HD's and Trumpets !!!

The Versys is great for touring, my longest trip was Pattaya up to Nong Khai, then south down the east coast of Thailand, into Malaysia at Bae tong. The east coast to near Singapore and up the west coast of both Malaysia and Thailand up to the north in to Laos and up to the Chinese border, then home.

It ran like a dream, i got a stiff knee sometimes, that's all, but i think on any bike that would happen. Only one downside, that was exploring small mountainous lanes, it was too heavy to relax and enjoy at times.

16,000 km + of fun

Great trips lads, if only I were forty years younger....so I intend to carry on cheating.

Put the CRF on the back of my pickup, do the big miles with A/C and music, then just enjoy the juicy bits on the bike, mountains, lakes and villages. The locals will see my Khon Kaen plates number and think, shit "there goes the real thing and wife". Would like to do Malaysia, but this year it will be Cambodia.

If you can't join em, just cheat.... but I have this dude Arthur Itis who keeps following me around.

Edited by AllanB

5 hours ago, kelboy said:

Nice trip, but it was great fun on  my Honda cbr500x which is so light. 

For sure Honda 500x a good bike for Thailand tours,  when l bought my Versys s/h with lots of extra's in June 2012 there wasn't much around to compare spec wise.

The bike market in Thailand now is awash with so many types of bikes.

5 hours ago, chrissables said:

It ran like a dream, i got a stiff knee sometimes, that's all, but i think on any bike that would happen. Only one downside, that was exploring small mountainous lanes, it was too heavy to relax and enjoy at times.

16,000 km + of fun

You had a great trek,  the only trouble l had was my boots they were falling apart.

l run the the bike the softest suspension set up so no ache or pains.

I don't wanna sell it but the weight is getting a bit of a responsibility now and a CRF250 will be more suitable for me now.

I am also very fond of my V 650 mk3 and I lowered the foot pegs a bit to give me even more leg room.

+90% of big bikes don't suit me well, because of my long legs.

On my ex Road King, I fitted highway bars in front of the foot boards and I could almost fully stretch my legs, seriously comfy on the long trips.

Edited by guzzi850m2

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

On my ex Road King, I fitted highway bars in front of the foot boards and I could almost fully stretch my legs, seriously comfy on the long trips.

:laugh:  :biggrin:  well l'm for knees bend and leaning forward slightly while riding,  on my scoot l have my feet on the back pegs. :biggrin: 

On 10/15/2017 at 1:11 PM, AllanB said:

Great trips lads, if only I were forty years younger....so I intend to carry on cheating.

Put the CRF on the back of my pickup, do the big miles with A/C and music, then just enjoy the juicy bits on the bike, mountains, lakes and villages. The locals will see my Khon Kaen plates number and think, shit "there goes the real thing and wife". Would like to do Malaysia, but this year it will be Cambodia.

If you can't join em, just cheat.... but I have this dude Arthur Itis who keeps following me around.

A few years back arrived in Surin from Chiang Mai on my trusty PCX and as I pulled into the parking lot of hotel a young Thai kid on another PCX ask me did you ride all the way from Chiang Mai. I say yes with stops in P-lok and another in KK. He was impressed and gives me his phone number saying if you have any problem while here call me. I encouraged him to give riding to CM a go but have never heard from him.

Sounds like a good trip to both riders.