When to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement?

I'm on my first Non-Immigrant-O-A (LongStay) Visa. The Visa was issued in Germany by the Thai Consulate General in Frankfurt and it is of type "M" (Multiple Entry). On the Visa the "Enter Before" date is the "17 January 2018".

I've been advised in this forum that it would be best to re-enter Thailand again at or shortly before the "Enter Before" date to get another 1 year of stay for free. So I'll do that ?

My question:
Let's assume I will re-enter Thailand on the "05 January 2018".
When do I have in this case to apply for the later extension of stay based upon retirement issued by an immigration office in Thailand?
Do I have to apply for this still before the present Visa expires (17 January 2018) or only before the new 1 year period ends (04 January 2019)?

Assuming you re-enter Thailand on 5th Jan 2018, you will be given permission to stay until Jan 4th 2018.

Your Visa will expire on 17th Jan, 2018, so remember if you want to leave and re-enter Thailand after 17/1/18 you'll need to purchase a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay valid.

You continue to make 90 day reports at Immigration. You can apply for an annual extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day periods of permission to stay.

One thing to bare in mind, if you plan annual/regular trips back to your home Country, make sure the dates don't coincide with your annual extension renewals. If your not in Thailand when your extension is due for renewal you'll have to start all over  again and obtain a Non Imm Visa first.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can apply for an annual extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day periods of permission to stay.

He gets a one year entry from his OA visa not 90 days.

He can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of his last one year entry he gets before the visa expires.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leddie said:

How would a spousal dependency visa work with this kind of Non-Immigrant-O-A (LongStay) Visa .  Is it even possible or is Single entry NonO the preferred method?

The spouse would apply for an extension of stay that will be valid up to the date the OA visa holders permit to stay ends.

The spouse applying for the extension would need a entry from a non-o visa.

The embassy issuing the OA would issue a single entry non-o visa for them when the OA visa is applied for. It would be a separate application supported by a copy your marriage certificate and a 2000 baht fee paid for it.

24 minutes ago, leddie said:

How would a spousal dependency visa work with this kind of Non-Immigrant-O-A (LongStay) Visa .  Is it even possible or is Single entry NonO the preferred method?

The husband or wife enters with the non 'O-A' visa and is given a 1 year permit to stay. The spouse enters with a single entry non 'O' visa and is given 90 days.

Within the last 30 days of the 90 day permit to stay the husband and wife apply for an extension of stay for the spouse. It costs 1,900 baht. 

The spouse's extension would be for the remainder of the husband/wife's original 1 year permit to stay.

21 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Then you will really be surprised to learn that they ONLY issue one year multiple Non O-A visas

Single entry O-A's are a thing of the past 

yes I am really surprised now. But that should actually be good news, no?

I would always have preferred to have such a multiple-entry non-O or non-B (as I had in the past), rather than a 1-year-extension of stay based on retirement or else.

What is the requirement as per 2017 to get such a multiple non-O-A ?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He gets a one year entry from his OA visa not 90 days.

That's what I said

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Assuming you re-enter Thailand on 5th Jan 2018, you will be given permission to stay until Jan 4th 2018.

I think you misread my post

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of his last one year entry he gets before the visa expires.

Are you stating he can only apply for an extension before his Visa expires (17/1/2018) and not after the Visa expires, but he has permission to stay for another year.

I have been told at Chaeng Wattana that you must apply for the extension between 15 and 45 days from your permission end date, and then get a multiple re-entry for another year. So you pay 1900 baht for the extension then 3800 baht for the multiple re-entry for another year.

13 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

I have been told at Chaeng Wattana that you must apply for the extension between 15 and 45 days from your permission end date, and then get a multiple re-entry for another year. So you pay 1900 baht for the extension then 3800 baht for the multiple re-entry for another year.

You can apply within the last 15 days. They will let you apply for an extension of stay right up to the last day of your permit to stay. 

Re-entry permits can be bought at anytime and are optional. Single re-entry permits are also available at 1,000 baht each.

Edited by elviajero

14 hours ago, NanYar said:

I've been advised in this forum that it would be best to re-enter Thailand again at or shortly before the "Enter Before" date to get another 1 year of stay for free. So I'll do t

I think this is wrong but please correct me

So he says by just leaving Thailand & re entering before his ME OA Visa expires (obtained Germany ) he can get another year free 

I'm on a ME O & if I did that I will get 90 days 

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I think this is wrong but please correct me

So he says by just leaving Thailand & re entering before his ME OA Visa expires (obtained Germany ) he can get another year free 

I'm on a ME O & if I did that I will get 90 days 

It's not wrong. You get 1 year from a 'O-A' but only 90 days from an 'O'.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That's what I said

I quoted what your wrote.

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You can apply for an annual extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day periods of permission to stay.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you stating he can only apply for an extension before his Visa expires (17/1/2018) and not after the Visa expires, but he has permission to stay for another year.

No

I wrote that it was the last one year entry he gets before the visa expires. Any one year entry he gets would end be after the visa expires.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

• Like 2

Many thanks to all the posters of this topic! I really appreciate the collective knowledge and helpfulness in this forum ?

So let me summarize what I've learned: I've to apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the new one year entry stamp I'll get on my last entry before my present visa expires.

That means if my last entry will be the 05 January 2018: 06 December 2018 - 04 January 2019.

7 hours ago, NanYar said:

So let me summarize what I've learned: I've to apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the new one year entry stamp I'll get on my last entry before my present visa expires.

That means if my last entry will be the 05 January 2018: 06 December 2018 - 04 January 2019.

Yes that is correct.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NanYar said:

But don't forget to obtain a re-entry permit to keep the new 1-year entry stamp alive if you are planning any travels to foreign parts during the second year.

• Thanks 1