Giving notice to Condo - off colour landlord

In January we moved into this condo type spot. We moved in on 12th Jan. Paid the rent + deposit which both equated to a full month. So 1 months rent + 1 months deposit. Thing is the landlord tried to say the first month we had to pay the full rent for the first month and then to be in line with her monthly billing dates we had to pay 1 month rent at the end of the first month too.

This disappointed me and I had the mrs front this issue there and then.

The landlord showed a daily rate calculation on her calculator trying to imply she was doing us a good deal.

My Mrs responded well and the landlord agreed to let us stay until the 18th day of our last month for free to cover the ovrepayment from the 1st month.

We just found a new place to live 10 months later and we have honoured the contract which was 6 months.

Im concerned because we are supposed to give 30 days notice but I don't think it's worth the hassle and rather than deal with this issue and let it be known to them we are leaving I think we should just bolt. The people just seem a bit unsavoury we just purchased a newer car. I'm thinking they can keep the deposit and stick the extra 18 free days and we just do1 explaining on the day that the offer we have cannot wait.

The husband of the landlord treats his condo complex like a pub and I just do not trust the guy when he's had a few. He went apes hit at his Mrs and kicked a load of stuff recently. I got a little kid too, I do not feel right just bolting but I can't be having this type of confrontation.

We rented a little bungalow before and the landlord promised to fix the shower and never did (after waiting 3 months) so we bolted from there into a hotel for 5 weeks in December last year. 

Pleased to report the new place is in a new city with  what appears to be very decent people renting to us and the shower works great.

Just disappointed to leave in this way and say goodbye to a total of 26k in deposits and over payment of rents this last 18 months all for a quiet life.

Sorry to hear.  I had a similar issue years back and my wife and I packed and left and did not tell the landlord. He was a butthead.  Like you he promised to fix pool, shower. Fan etc. Did none of it.

I say just walk.  

Wherever I have lived and rented, house, hotel room, apartment in Thailand -

- on renting the accommodation pay one months deposit + one months rent.

- thereafter at the beginning of each month pay one months rent in advance ( the landlord retains the deposit each       month )

- on leaving the property ( having given one months notice ) the deposit is returned less any genuine costs for repairs.

- I have had no problems if the landlord is reliable.

Very often if you agree to rent a property the landlord will do nothing to put it in a good state of repair before you move in.    Take photos whether the landlord agrees or not.  I have seen absolute filthy tips where the landlord has not even looked at the state of the property.   You are expected to clean up the previous tenants mess.    The landlord may pay for paint but not the painting.    Keep all bills and get signatures from both sides.   If it is a place you really like you can try to move in without paying rent until the accommodation is in order.    Alternatively if you do move in and are forced to do it up yourself do a runner before the agreed free rental period.

Rc2702,

I hate hearing there stories where the people set out to be unfair or cheat the renters from the get go. There are some of us who just want a reasonable rent and everybody happy.

It seems you have already decided anyway to leave and forego your deposit which I wouldn't do by the way. The 18 days are not, as you say free, as you have already paid for them.

You have honoured your contract, I don't know why you just don't pay the last months rent in lieu of your over payments. However, it's a matter for you.

I advertised on here a house I was renting out to customers for the first time, and got quite a few bits of good advice, for me as a landlord.

My tenant is a German man and we are in the sticks, although the house is very nice that I have rented to him and he loves it. I have foregone all upfront rents and deposits and given a discount, as he just have me six months upfront and his electric is billed direct to the house. I adjusted the contract accordingly.

We are both happy with the arrangement, he gets a good house and I have got a reliable tenant.