Bangkok generates "top trash" as figures reveal how much rubbish each Thai tosses per day!

webfact

Bangkok generates "top trash" as figures reveal how much rubbish each Thai tosses per day!

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

It has been revealed that Bangkok is one of the five most trash producing areas of the country.

And now a figure has been put on how much rubbish each and every Thai produces each day.

It is 1.14 kilos for every man, woman and child in the kingdom.

Some 27 million tons of of trash were generated in Thailand last year. This amounted to 74,000 tons a day.

Bangkok was responsible for 4.2 million tons of the garbage.

While the 76 other provinces weighed in with 22.84 million tons.

Sanook reported on the figures in the wake of pictures on social media after the devastating floods of Friday and Saturday when mountains of trash were seen strewn over roads and sidewalks.

Much of it was blocking drains stopping flood water from draining away.

Quoting figures from 2016 originally published in January of this year they said that last year's trash count was 190,000 tons up or a 0.7% increase on the previous year's.

Bangkok, Chonburi, Korat, Samut Prakarn and Khon Kaen generate the most rubbish, they said.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-16

I helped write the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan in 1999. The figures should be shown as tonnes per day not tons/day (tons means short tons which is 907.19kg), we worked in metric tonnes and kgs/person/day. The figures are suspect, 20 years ago the figures for collection of garbage(wet waste) and rubbish(trash) Bangkok was  11,000tonnes per day. The above news story indicates that 11,500tonnes per day are generated. The problem is that there is more waste generated than the BMA can deal with and that tends to be fly tipped on any available waste land and not collected by the BMA. This builds up. There are less recyclables collectors these days so bins get overfull. The above story fails to point out that most of the rubbish found in the street during the floods are due to the waste bins floating and being knocked over due to flood waters. Also the ground floor of buildings being flooded and materials floating out which block also the drains. The drainage and flood prevention schemes need to prevent flooding occurring in the first place. Much of the flood prevention and waste disposal schemes still have to be completed.

1 hour ago, eliotness said:

This is a major problem all Thai  governments have failed to address, despite inernational advice. I guess it will take central Bangkok under several feet of water before anything happens.  So sad !

but it will improve significantly as soon as we stop smoking on the beaches!!!!!

52 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I helped write the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan in 1999. The figures should be shown as tonnes per day not tons/day (tons means short tons which is 907.19kg), we worked in metric tonnes and kgs/person/day. The figures are suspect, 20 years ago the figures for collection of garbage(wet waste) and rubbish(trash) Bangkok was  11,000tonnes per day. The above news story indicates that 11,500tonnes per day are generated. The problem is that there is more waste generated than the BMA can deal with and that tends to be fly tipped on any available waste land and not collected by the BMA. This builds up. There are less recyclables collectors these days so bins get overfull. The above story fails to point out that most of the rubbish found in the street during the floods are due to the waste bins floating and being knocked over due to flood waters. Also the ground floor of buildings being flooded and materials floating out which block also the drains. The drainage and flood prevention schemes need to prevent flooding occurring in the first place. Much of the flood prevention and waste disposal schemes still have to be completed.

That's informed me Estrada. Thank you

I don't think that Bangkok is alone in the world to suffer from this problem, but as this is (and no doubt someone would inform me of that) a Thailand / Bangkok centric thread I won't dwell on that.

I don't think that the authorities in Bangkok or anywhere else in Thailand do enough to discourage this disgusting habit, I live on the Darkside of Pattaya, a much nicer part of the world than ' in town' in my opinion, I think that what I will do in the next few days is take myself and my camera on a 3 km trip around my Moo Ban and see what the state of play is and post the pics on this thread, it's not gonna be pretty of that I'm sure.

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

That is the problem.  They have a plan but no one capable of making theF plan work - in nearly 20 years.  Not only Thailand but in many developing countries. 

Intead of spending trillions on submarines when is the Gov't going to wake up and get serious about trash in the Kingdom.  They need to increase ALL TRASH FINES to the same as the cigarettes on beaches.  They need to do a massive sustained advertising campaign to enlighten everyone in the country about the woes of trash, the fines involved, the destructive nature of plastics etc. etc.  Until they spend some serious money on the problem the countries rubbish/waste problems will continue unabated.

3 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Intead of spending trillions on submarines when is the Gov't going to wake up and get serious about trash in the Kingdom.  They need to increase ALL TRASH FINES to the same as the cigarettes on beaches.  They need to do a massive sustained advertising campaign to enlighten everyone in the country about the woes of trash, the fines involved, the destructive nature of plastics etc. etc.  Until they spend some serious money on the problem the countries rubbish/waste problems will continue unabated.

Thailand must have submarines because they have such long coastlines, if Malaysia, Vietnam, or China attack Thailand who is going to proctect Thailand? Malaysia bought 2 french submarines capable of delivering surface to air missiles long range. So Thai must have. I agreed. I would hate to see Thailand running away like a dog with its tail behind the legs. I hope Thailand will send its marines to China for training.

And what happens with all the rubbish that getting illegal burn day by day?

Stop the bad bags policy of Tesco, Big C, 7 Eleven, Family Mart and all the other shops that using always a lot of bags for few items. That will reduce the rubbish.

Bangkok is a huge city with millions of people living there and millions of tourists there as

well. I have relatives that do recycling as much as they can. I have also seen many problems

with packaging of products from countries like Japan ,that cause a lot of plastic garbage.

I will blame Thais and tourists for not disposing this trash correctly.  I have see this problem

in many places in the world and not just Thailand and indeed Bangkok.  Trash is a worldwide

problem.

Geezer