Lightening strikes concrete bkock house

ttl

I can't really help you but there can be comfort in shared misery.

About a week ago a lightening strike hit in my garden about 3-4 metres behind where I was sitting.  It appeared to hit or go through a tall palm tree but the only physical damage out there was bits of leaf around and the top of the tree looking frayed.

Electrical damage, 2 flat-screen TVs, a home theatre unit, a DVD player, cable box, laptop power supply, laptop HDMI port, and both my and my neighbours remote gate controllers.

A bit after the horse bolted I have learned to unplug things (including power and cable/internet connections) when there is a storm about and I have bought a few power strips with surge protection in them. Expensive and scary event.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but it is wise not to use your phone whilst it is charging in case you get a hit like our OP did, could make your ears buzz :sad:

Asian woman was actually killed here in Aus a couple of years back from a direct power line hit.

She had the phone charging and using it during the storm, the "charging" being the cause of her unfortunate early retirement.

23 hours ago, ttl said:

How safe are mobile phones in a T Storm      Wife is paranoid about that??

Not only your wife is paranoid about it. The most Thais believe they can be hit if they use their phone in a TStorm.

The most people here been hit because they gone under a tree and play there with their phone.

They not understand that the tree is the problem, not the mobile phone.

To use a land line phone in a T-Storm is dangerous about the overland lines.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Nope, that unit does not provide surge protection, shock protection only :sad:

So how do I know if I am getting one with surge protection? What am I to look for or what am I supposed to ask about?

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well asked for lightning protection and got lighting protection TIT. :laugh:

What's an 'n' between friends?

I suggest one of you starts a thread in the Electrical forum so we can discuss what you have and what you need.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

a few power strips with surge protection in them.

To the experts on here - if you have a "quality working" surge protector will it actually protect say TVs and a router in the event of a lightning event?

I lost my modem and a separate router the other week but the TV attached to cable and mains power was ok? No signs of lightning damage that I can see. Also just discovered last night that my neighbour opposite who was away and had unplugged most of his stuff also lost his modem/router.

1 hour ago, topt said:

To the experts on here - if you have a "quality working" surge protector will it actually protect say TVs and a router in the event of a lightning event?

I lost my modem and a separate router the other week but the TV attached to cable and mains power was ok? No signs of lightning damage that I can see. Also just discovered last night that my neighbour opposite who was away and had unplugged most of his stuff also lost his modem/router.

If your internet is delivered via copper cable then surge suppression is required on the modem power supply and the phone line.
If you want to isolate the device during storms then you must disconnect both phone line and power cable.

Lightning does not need to strike electricity lines to damage sensitive electronics. Nearby strikes can induce dangerous pulses magnetically.

No protector can provide 100% guaranteed protection but are a vast improvement over having no protection. 

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Does the UPS my computer and its peripherals are plugged into protect against surge? I always thought so, but this thread has me reevaluating......

Yes it does but you should also provide protection to the UPS power feed. The level of protection provided by a UPS varies from poor to excellent.

Edited by maxpower

13 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Does the UPS my computer and its peripherals are plugged into protect against surge? I always thought so, but this thread has me reevaluating......

Maybe...maybe not.

You have to get into the manual.

I have a APC  UPS that has six surge protected outlets as well as a surge protected outlet for my internet. When I was shopping for this unit, I noted that some had only 1 or 2 surge protected outlets, and others that were just battery backup. I saw some cheap ones on Lazada (1100 Bt or so, IIRC) that nothing was surge protected. Mine was 5900 or something like that. I don't remember exactly.

So...look at the manual or look it up on the www & find out.

17 minutes ago, maxpower said:

If your internet is delivered via copper cable then surge suppression is required on the modem power supply

Forgive my ignorance but does my True "cable" count as copper?

Same as my Sophon cable supply for the TV which also used to supply my internet which is why I am surprised it was not affected. 

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Forgive my ignorance but does my True "cable" count as copper?

Same as my Sophon cable supply for the TV which also used to supply my internet which is why I am surprised it was not affected. 

Any copper cable is vulnerable including  coaxial.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I suggest one of you starts a thread in the Electrical forum so we can discuss what you have and what you need.

Thanks but with respect we've been OK for 15 years with no problems, have earth rods so l will let my God decide who ever he or she is. :laugh:

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Thanks but with respect we've been OK for 15 years with no problems, have earth rods so l will let my God decide who ever he or she is. :laugh:

Mind you don't get hit by a bus on the way to the shops :smile:

Just like the bus, lightning and surges are very much down to luck.

You have been warned.

Crossy...a few hours ago I asked you a question in regard to your post...see below:

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Nope, that unit does not provide surge protection, shock protection only :sad:

So how do I know if I am getting one with surge protection? What am I to look for or what am I supposed to ask about?

You're reply was as follows, as was my reply...

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well asked for lightning protection and got lighting protection TIT. :laugh:

•  

I can EXPLAIN it to you, but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you.

Tagaa

•  
  • Tagaa
  • Members
  • 320 posts

You brought it up with your statement regarding an MOV. I simply asked for an explanation.

Edited 3 hours ago by Tagaa

Is it possible, seeing as that you brought it up, you could answer my question?

One tends to expect more from a "Global Moderator" than one usually expects from the local hoy paloy.

Edited by Tagaa

3 minutes ago, Tagaa said:

Crossy...a few hours ago I asked you a question in regard to your post...see below:

Oddly enough even moderators are not obliged to respond instantly or even at all. You may notice that I often respond within minutes, other times it can by many hours, this is because I do actually have a job and paying clients tend to take precedence.

Anyway, look for "surge protection", MOV, "lightning protection" and many other permutations.

Small units look like this:-

Untitled-1.jpg

although they're more likely to be found in surge-arresting power strips and the like there is nothing to stop you scattering them around your installation, costs are minimal (a few Baht each).

Bigger units to protect the whole house look something like this:-

Untitled-2.jpg

you can fit these in your distribution board, they provide more protection than the babies, of course they are rather more expensive but still won't break the bank.

The ideal system uses both types although there are no guarantees.

Of course you have to know which units will be suitable for your installation, there are a number of different formats.

Which is why my original comment of starting a specific thread in the Electrical forum still stands.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:05 AM, ttl said:

Anoter person says stay well away from concrete blocks,do they have an attraction?/

Thanks

Stop talking to this person. lol

On the upside, your house is now VERY safe as the odds are very much  in your favor going forward. Is the house even grounded?

11 hours ago, maxpower said:

If your internet is delivered via copper cable then surge suppression is required on the modem power supply and the phone line.
If you want to isolate the device during storms then you must disconnect both phone line and power cable.

Lightning does not need to strike electricity lines to damage sensitive electronics. Nearby strikes can induce dangerous pulses magnetically.

No protector can provide 100% guaranteed protection but are a vast improvement over having no protection. 

My internet and True cable TV come in on a coaxial cable, that should be disconnected upstream of the splitter.  I also have a Sophon cable which should be disconnected at all TVs it goes to, unless you can get upstream of the splitter. So those and all power cables. The automatic gate, more of a problem as the power is tapped upstream of the breaker box and is in a box on the side of the house with screws! Then there is a proper old style antenna feeding into the small separate building with a TV in there. Exhausting.....

Oh perhaps the land line to the phone... I recall there was a lightening arrestor in there that the TOT technician had bent up rendering it useless.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My internet and True cable TV come in on a coaxial cable, that should be disconnected upstream of the splitter.  I also have a Sophon cable which should be disconnected at all TVs it goes to, unless you can get upstream of the splitter. So those and all power cables. The automatic gate, more of a problem as the power is tapped upstream of the breaker box and is in a box on the side of the house with screws! Then there is a proper old style antenna feeding into the small separate building with a TV in there. Exhausting.....

Oh perhaps the land line to the phone... I recall there was a lightening arrestor in there that the TOT technician had bent up rendering it useless.

Don't get too hooked up on trying to protect yourself or it will end being a pain in the ass. If at home during an angry storm, dropping the power for 20 mins can help towards avoiding expensive repairs. This applies even if you have surge protection already. Unplugging stuff when away is most important.

What TOT did to your surge protection is quite common.Thai phone line workers will often bypass or rip out the surge protector because they are too lazy to make the terminations after they have tested the line. 

Some stuff that often takes a hit -  AC's, CCTV systems, Internet devices, TV's and related devices, Refrigerators with electronic control, Laundry machines, Alarm systems.

TVisa electrical section has some whole house surge protection threads.

• 3 weeks later...