This has to be seen to be believed: Wish you were here - you could help us pick up the trash on the beach....

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what they need is 100,000 baht fine if caught on the beach with plastic or polystyrene containers if you cant pay the fine on the spot 10 years in prison or hard labour camp beaches spotless in on week no litter allowed  

On 17/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, Peterw42 said:

Yes I agree, but it is at odds with 3-4 showers a day, sweeping the floor 5 times a day, shoes off at the door etc. It seems there is a big difference between personal space and public space.

Absobally lutely.   Weird eh?  Another one.  Obsessed with the Thai flag and anything that remotely allows them to crow about Thailand, but lacking in civic pride apd personal responsibility.

On 17/10/2017 at 12:16 PM, Rori ban khun fang said:

The garbage is a national Thai problem. Thailand is the number one country  concerned to plastic bags, plastig drinking containers, pet bottles etc.

Why no payback on bottles like in most European countries.

About the beach in jomtien between soi 1 (palm Beach hotel) and soi 11 ( where the beach stops). I just walk there daily I live soi 10 luckily atyou condo resort we do have two swimming pools with salted water (no chlorine). Through the years I have seen the beach go from bad to worse. Luckily they did move out already many food stalls near and on the beach. But still they hardly clean it.

I am even considering to give up life in jomtien and move up north but there also garbage everywhere.

Really they need to clean the beach everyday best proposal made here is a sifting machine but as long they have people just picking up the easy and bigger surface pollution it will not help.

Same in here it was claimed Thai leave things behind but what ton think of our Russian (friends????).

They not care a bit on environment. In the building i live in some russian renting a place have been kicked out. Hmm what they must have done to make a Thai that upset that they are kicked out?

There is a big Chinese Thai restaurant in Pattaya near the two big ship hulks and the restaurant clean the. beach in front of their business.  Nice civic attitude.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:23 PM, koto said:

Aloha

It wouldn't be that hard to have the Pattaya City Halls clean up crew, small offense prisoners, to "DAILY" remove the trash before high-tide takes it back out into the ocean...:) Like NOW!!!

While I'm at it, have the prisoners start taking care of all of these stray dogs, having litters twice a year, teaching some to sterilize, some to bathe, cut nails, train also having a friend, having them adopted, earning a small amount of baht for the prisoners, also learning a possible trade...:)

There is a thing called K I S S "Keeping It Simple Sweetheart" or "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Hey! What do I know, have been cleaning Thailand's beaches for 17 years, had over 200 dogs, 60 cats sterilized, giving water, food, toiletries, first aid to hundreds of less fortunate Thai's and Cambodian children and adults, going to be 80, need to slow up...:)

Tooting my horn and looking for caring people to take over...        

On 10/17/2017 at 4:15 PM, newnative said:

So true regarding City Hall.  A joke indeed.  I've never seen a more disorganized, messy, dirty, depressing, and poorly maintained municipal building, especially in a large city the size of Pattaya.  In the immortal words of Bette Davis, 'What a dump!'  It's easy to see that if this is the very poor way they maintain their own work place, it's no wonder Pattaya is being maintained in the same poor, disinterested, haphazard, incompetent manner. 

As far back as I can remember its always been a shithole. Being a mere newcomer to Thailand (a few years back) was wimming in the sea when within a minute was surrounded by masses of toilet paper and shit floating everywhere. Its a total health hazard and have the audacity to churn out <deleted> about its beautiful Pattaya beaches. :post-4641-1156693976:

14 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

As far back as I can remember its always been a shithole. Being a mere newcomer to Thailand (a few years back) was wimming in the sea when within a minute was surrounded by masses of toilet paper and shit floating everywhere. Its a total health hazard and have the audacity to churn out <deleted> about its beautiful Pattaya beaches. :post-4641-1156693976:

You went to Pattaya and actually swam in the sea!!!!!!!

Did you not know anything about the place before you went there???????

It's been a no swim zone for farangs since the 1980s. I knew that back then and there was no internet to make it easy.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, koto said:

There is a thing called K I S S "Keeping It Simple Sweetheart" or "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Hey! What do I know, have been cleaning Thailand's beaches for 17 years, had over 20 dogs, 60 cats sterilized, giving water, food, toiletries, first aid to hundreds of less fortunate Tha's and Cambodian children and adults, going to be 80, need to slow up...:)

Tooting my horn and looking for caring people to take over...        

Thank you for your service, but your age gives you away. Back then, we were brought up to believe in helping other people without having to be paid to do it. I have done much along the same lines myself. Cleaned Chaweng beach every time I stayed there, as couldn't stand the garbage everywhere, and that was in the 90s.

Unfortunately, that ethos of helping for the sake of it is, IMO, gone. Now young people are too selfish. The most people appear to do now is give some money to someone else to do something, as it makes them feel better without actually having to do anything.

Case in point, every month thousands of young adults go to Had Rin to party. None of them clean up the garbage left by their co party goers. It's all about ME ME ME now.

Last time I was at Jomtien  there was a crazed nutter going around in a  little Noddy  car  putting up hundreds of  plastic laminated posters on the beautiful trees - seemed he'd really gone to the dogs ......

- bet the sea life really   enjoy   the  plastic bits for breakfast  when they break down and  reach the sea ......................

Take a lesson from the Swiss. They literally sweep the streets & sidewalks every morning, winters too! I lived in Bern for 5 years, saw them every morning.

It’s not only the Swiss that do that. In Australia where I used to live they hose the streets with a water truck every morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/19/2017 at 9:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You went to Pattaya and actually swam in the sea!!!!!!!

Did you not know anything about the place before you went there???????

It's been a no swim zone for farangs since the 1980s. I knew that back then and there was no internet to make it easy.

No !!! 
I hadn't a clue, only arrived 2 hours beforehand after a few beers deciding to have a dip to cool off (12 yrs ago). This particular well marketed cesspit of a beach never mentions anything about the <deleted> or other toxic crap floating or submerged in its putrid waters. Many other holiday destinations spend time and effort to ensure their tourists enjoy their beautiful coastal frontage with crystal clear seasides not being emaciated with dangerous liquids or materials likely to cause disease and illnesses. Not hampering on, just saying its an important factor for people to spread the word about how they enjoyed their vocations.    :post-4641-1156694572:

I am always disappointed when I travel down side roads in Thailand.  Tons of garbage and rubbish just dumped along the sides of the roads.  It's really a mentality that  creates the mess, despite great efforts by the authorities to correct it.  Just like bike helmet rules etc, there to be broken.  Until people have descent services and incentives to encourage the minimisation of rubbish these things will keep occurring infinitum.  

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:54 PM, ScotBkk said:

No !!! 
I hadn't a clue, only arrived 2 hours beforehand after a few beers deciding to have a dip to cool off (12 yrs ago). This particular well marketed cesspit of a beach never mentions anything about the <deleted> or other toxic crap floating or submerged in its putrid waters. Many other holiday destinations spend time and effort to ensure their tourists enjoy their beautiful coastal frontage with crystal clear seasides not being emaciated with dangerous liquids or materials likely to cause disease and illnesses. Not hampering on, just saying its an important factor for people to spread the word about how they enjoyed their vocations.    :post-4641-1156694572:

Ah, another victim of the propaganda machine. I hope you didn't have to go to hospital.

We've been warning about not swimming in Pattaya for decades, but obviously some never hear about it.

Many other holiday destinations spend time and effort to ensure their tourists enjoy their beautiful coastal frontage with crystal clear seasides

That's never been a Pattaya city thing. IMO they just don't care enough to do anything about it.

Farangs don't normally go to Pattaya for the beach anyway, and the locals are immune.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:24 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, another victim of the propaganda machine. I hope you didn't have to go to hospital.

We've been warning about not swimming in Pattaya for decades, but obviously some never hear about it.

Many other holiday destinations spend time and effort to ensure their tourists enjoy their beautiful coastal frontage with crystal clear seasides

That's never been a Pattaya city thing. IMO they just don't care enough to do anything about it.

Farangs don't normally go to Pattaya for the beach anyway, and the locals are immune.

Thanks for that, your assessment was bang on.
I truly understand now about Pattaya being the usual induction area for would be 'novice e-pats' as a quick introduction to Thailand and all it has to offer. Besides, the self assurance contrived by the local girls that you and only you are Velly Hansum although your wallet has the edge. Swimming in the sludge with all its glory that the shore has to offer is just another surprise awaiting you if you care to try its delicacies to test out your immunity system is still working among other festivities like clubbing on the beach if you can afford the hospital expenses lol.

TAT are extremely loyal though and can guarantee a good fruit or flower basket if your stay in a medical institution looks like you'll be staying  longer in Thailand than you expected. They'll even throw in a visa to make you feel more welcome ........................ :partytime2:

It would be “scandalous” that visitors are not warned or banned from swimming in sea with such filth! But in Thailand? Not a word about Jomtien Pattaya for fear of damaging tourism! Needs foreign exposure!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was at the Dongtan part of Jomtien beach near Heritage Hotel yesterday and the beach was very dirty with all sorts of trash that had washed up.  A large section of the walkway has also collapsed.  Guess it has not yet sunken in to city officials that the beaches need to be cleaned daily and not once in a blue moon as a publicity stunt. 

It would be “scandalous” that visitors are not warned or banned from swimming in sea with such filth! But in Thailand? Not a word about Jomtien Pattaya for fear of damaging tourism! Needs foreign exposure!

Warned? Who can’t see that the beach is filthy?

I am referring to the sea and warning notices that it is polluted with filth

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m sorry, I thought the beach included sea, at least the part you swim in.

The should also have warning notices that the the sidewalks are polluted with filth also, just in case pedestrians can’t tell.

13 hours ago, mogandave said:
On 10/26/2017 at 9:25 AM, shanesox said:

Warned? Who can’t see that the beach is filthy?

To be of real service, the warning would hit the prospective tourists before they even book their flight.  

20 years ago when I lived in So California, I could open the newspaper to the weather section and see the bacteria count for all the local beaches.  No use driving even an hour to find the beach was polluted- even though it looked pristine. 

Imagine the thrill of spending $1,000's and your precious annual 2 week holiday and finding the beaches are too filthy to enjoy.  A quick look at the (non existent now) water quality and beach condition report would prevent a lot of disappointment.  Bad enough to drive down from BKK for a weekend, never mind flying from Europe or N. America where better beaches are an hours' flight away.

Edit:  BTW, the SoCal news reported the surf height and bacteria count.  They didn't need to report beach conditions because they were always pristine, being cleaned and groomed nightly or as needed.

Edited by impulse

To be of real service, the warning would hit the prospective tourists before they even book their flight.  

20 years ago when I lived in So California, I could open the newspaper to the weather section and see the bacteria count for all the local beaches.  No use driving even an hour to find the beach was polluted- even though it looked pristine. 

Imagine the thrill of spending $1,000's and your precious annual 2 week holiday and finding the beaches are too filthy to enjoy.  A quick look at the (non existent now) water quality and beach condition report would prevent a lot of disappointment.  Bad enough to drive down from BKK for a weekend, never mind flying from Europe or N. America where better beaches are an hours' flight away.

Edit:  BTW, the SoCal news reported the surf height and bacteria count.  They didn't need to report beach conditions because they were always pristine, being cleaned and groomed nightly or as needed.

They also reported the tide-tables, water-temps and moon-phase if I remember correctly. Great Fishing...

So were the SoCal warnings also listed the Thai newspapers? If not, how did Thai tourists know when it was safe to visit?

To be honest, I doubt anyone doing even a minimum of research would be expecting to find the Pattaya beach in pristine condition.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, newnative said:

I was at the Dongtan part of Jomtien beach near Heritage Hotel yesterday and the beach was very dirty with all sorts of trash that had washed up.  A large section of the walkway has also collapsed.  Guess it has not yet sunken in to city officials that the beaches need to be cleaned daily and not once in a blue moon as a publicity stunt. 

Once in a blue moon seems to be the norm. In Lamphun they sent the fogging machine around once a YEAR. Up where I'm living in Chiang Mai it's only been past twice!

Walkway collapsed 55555555555555555. The clowns that built it just prove that they have no idea how to do it, but that's also apparently the norm.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

So were the SoCal warnings also listed the Thai newspapers? If not, how did Thai tourists know when it was safe to visit?

Keep in mind that was 20 years ago, when the Interweb was dial up.  If they posted that info in the Bangkok Post, The Nation or other mainstream Thai news outlets, tourists would easily find it.  Which wouldn't really be good for tourism...

As I'm sure anyone with an interest can find the SoCal numbers.  I used to get them in the Orange County Register, which I'm not even sure exists any more.  And they got them from the state, so I suspect there are multiple places to look them up.  If a person has any interest- like choosing a place to spend those tourist $$$.

Keep in mind that was 20 years ago, when the Interweb was dial up.  If they posted that info in the Bangkok Post, The Nation or other mainstream Thai news outlets, tourists would easily find it.  Which wouldn't really be good for tourism...

As I'm sure anyone with an interest can find the SoCal numbers.  I used to get them in the Orange County Register, which I'm not even sure exists any more.  And they got them from the state, so I suspect there are multiple places to look them up.  If a person has any interest- like choosing a place to spend those tourist $$$.

The Post and Nation are mainstream Thai news agencies in much the same way that “La Opinion” is is mainstream in SoCal.

Again, I submit that anyone with an interest can find plenty of accurate Pattaya beach condition information.

That you (apparently) disagree is curious.

12 hours ago, mogandave said:

The Post and Nation are mainstream Thai news agencies in much the same way that “La Opinion” is is mainstream in SoCal.

Again, I submit that anyone with an interest can find plenty of accurate Pattaya beach condition information.

That you (apparently) disagree is curious.

All the beaches in Orange County are open and clean today, except Sunset Beach which exceeds state bacteria levels.

http://ocbeachinfo.com/

How'za 'bout Pattaya?  TODAY?

http://brc.healthebay.org  (If you're interested in the rest of the West Coast.)

Where's the equivalent info on Thai Beaches?  In case someone wanted to know where NOT to spend their holiday time and $$$?

Edited by impulse