Movies About Thailand, Any Good One's Out There That I Missed?

DragonQuest

hey all Im just wondering if there are any good movies out there about thailand like "Broken Down Palace and I believe Blood Sport with Jean Claud Van dam, Remember they have to be native english speaking but filmed in thailand like those two I mentioned above. Thx I know there's a few more movies out there but I forgot the names. o ya and "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story", had a fighting part in Thailand which was pretty cool. thx peeps,

hey all Im just wondering if there are any good movies out there about thailand like "Broken Down Palace and I believe Blood Sport with Jean Claud Van dam, Remember they have to be native english speaking but filmed in thailand like those two I mentioned above. Thx I know there's a few more movies out there but I forgot the names. o ya and "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story", had a fighting part in Thailand which was pretty cool. thx peeps,

There are a whole heap of films to do with Thailand, most of them are very substandard - but if you actually rate the films mentioned in the OP you may as well check them out.

Butterfly Man - laughably bad as taken as a whole but remarkably spot on in some places.

Bridget Jones 2 - More lazy Thai cliches.

The beach - So bad I didn't make it to the end.

Bangkok Hilton - run of the mill prison drama.

Air America - not seen it but apparantly poor.

A number of the Emmanuelle films are related to Bangkok - dull

Why not look for Thai made films and read the subtitles? Recommended are Bangkok Dangerous, Full Moon Party, Ong Bak (although it is a bit poor!), Beautiful boxer, Last life in the Universe, Jan Dara and Tears of the Black tiger.

Not seen 'Blissfully yours' and 'Tropical Malady' but they are apparantly well regarded.

I agree. The best movies about Thailand are Thai movies. And there are some very good ones.

Check out the list on the right of this page and click on the links for more info. They all can be purchased with English subtitles:

(I especially like Citizen Dog.)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal...amp;view=public

1. Tears of the Black Tiger (2007)

2. Transistor Love Story (2001)

3. Citizen Dog (2004)

4. Last Life in the Universe (2004)

5. Tropical Malady (2005)

6. Ai-Fak (2004)

7. Yam yasothon (2005)

8. Blissfully Yours (2004)

9. The Bodyguard (2004)

10. 6ixtynin9 (2004)

Ongbak is awesome. They have it in English now, too.

Tears of the Black Tiger is still my favorite.

Ong Bak portrays and parodies some pretty accurate aspects of Thai life. Really great I thought.

Another film partly filmed in North Thailand is the Japanese "Shining Boy and Little Randy". A very moving film based on a true story. English subtitle version available, but I have only seen the Thai subtitle version in Thailand.

I recently saw Chok Dee, a French movie (with English subs), but filmed largely in Thailand. Follows the (suposedly?) true story of a French MUAY THAI fighter in Siam.

The female lead is provided by Florence Vanida Faivre, who plays the love interest. She was also in The Siam Renaissance (2004).

Edited by katana

Anna and the King...but not available legally in Thailand. Good monsoon scenes.

and it was filmed in Penang, Malaysia.

Also seen the 2 earlier Anna films....Yul Bs version and the other from believe 1948.....cant remember who was in it but will have a think

.....any others?

Also seen the 2 earlier Anna films....Yul Bs version and the other from believe 1948.....cant remember who was in it but will have a think

.....any others?

'Anna and the King of Siam' (1946) starring Rex Harrison and Irene Dunn.

.....any others?

'Anna and the King of Siam' (1946) starring Rex Harrison and Irene Dunn.

thats the one..

From Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide.

"Sumptuous production chronicling the experiences of a British governess in 19th-century Thailand, and her battle of wits with strong-willed ruler. Based on Margaret Landon's book about real-life Anna Leonowens (renamed Anna L. Owens in the movie). Dunne and Harrison (in his Hollywood debut) are superb; won Oscars for Cinematography (Arthur Miller) and Art Direction/Set Decoration (then known as ``Interior Decoration''). Screenplay by Talbot Jennings and Sally Benson. Later musicalized as THE KING AND I."

also some nice investigative stuff concerning and with realtion to all of the Anna films with both praise and critisms from the kids and teachers at Sriwittayapaknam School in Sam Pak ( K Wifes nices all went there)

They even sent a letter of complaint to Fox executives (the film makers) about the wording on their web site of the latest "Anna"and asked them to change it to a "fictionalised story"......instead of factual....

In their reply, Fox agreed to change it to "based on historical information and Leonowens' published works".

These kids can truly be considered the "Guardians of the Nation"... :D ......but they are pretty sensible :o

http://www.thaistudents.com/kingandi/index.html