Embassies closed on 26th ?

Hi,

I will be applying for a new SETV in penang on the 25th next week. My gf told me that there is a ceremony for Rama 9 on the 26th and that most people wont work.

Will I have any issues ?

I will use an agent and not head to the embassy in penang directly.

Im a little worried now since I booked everything already and gonna stay only 3 nights.

They dont write anything about closing on their website.

25 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I would be very surprised if they are open on the 26th. Probably best to call them or one of the local agents.

Why?

The updated holiday list list was done in June well after the 26th was made a holiday here by a cabinet resolution made in April..

The list also includes other holidays that were added in April (July 28th and October 13th).

The 26th is not shown as a holiday on the Vientiane or Savannakhet websites as well. Do a little research and you will find others that do not show the 26th as a holiday.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

The updated holiday list list was done in June well after the 26th was made a holiday here by a cabinet resolution made in April..

The list also includes other holidays that were added in April (July 28th and October 13th).

The 26th is not shown as a holiday on the Vientiane or Savannakhet websites as well. Do a little research and you will find others that do not show the 26th as a holiday.

I think that actual embassies will be closed on the 26th, consulates, maybe not.

I would make the suggestion that like most embassies on days like this they may have to stay open but there will be little done by the Thai staff.  Most Embassies have their own services and remembrances.  I would strongly suggest that you go on the 25th if you can.

There is being open on a day and there is doing any work and not necessarily are they the same thing.  Example the military attache offices are open on the 11th of November but there is little that is done in them as people are away.    The chance that while they are open the immigration staff are working on immigration matters and not assisting with organizing for a memorial service is the same thing

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I think that actual embassies will be closed on the 26th, consulates, maybe not

There is really no difference between embassies and official Thai consulates. You are probably thinking of honorary Thai consulates,

Vientiane is a embassy and it will be open according to their updated holiday list.

The embassy in a Kuala Lumpur also does not show it as a holiday,

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is really no difference between embassies and official Thai consulates. You are probably thinking of honorary Thai consulates,

Vientiane is a embassy and it will be open according to their updated holiday list.

The embassy in a Kuala Lumpur also does not show it as a holiday,

Yes, sorry honorary consulates.

I have to admit that I am really very genuinely surprised that any of the Thai Embassies or Official Consulates are going to be open on the 26th, I'd have thought they would be expected to close and show respect.

Certainly appears that the majority worldwide are closed.

Hi guys, a little unrelated to the current issue here but not sure where else to post.

My visa exemption stamp is saying valid until 20th October, does that mean I can leave Thailand no later than 11.59pm on the 20th, or do I need to get out of Thailand before the 20th?

Also, if I can be in Thailand on the 20th is it possible to extend for 30 days on the 20th. Or should I go on the 19th to extend? (I know the 20th is riskier but im just wanting to know if it is possible to extend a visa exemption on its last day.)

Your entry is valid until 11:59 pm on the Admitted Until date on the entry stamp. You can extend on the last day. In fact (although definitely not recommended) if immigration is closed on the day your permission to stay expires, you can even apply on the next working day without penalty.

Just now, BritTim said:

Your entry is valid until 11:59 pm on the Admitted Until date on the entry stamp. You can extend on the last day. In fact (although definitely not recommended) if immigration is closed on the day your permission to stay expires, you can even apply on the next working day without penalty.

Thanks a lot, great info. 

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Hi guys, a little unrelated to the current issue here but not sure where else to post.

My visa exemption stamp is saying valid until 20th October, does that mean I can leave Thailand no later than 11.59pm on the 20th, or do I need to get out of Thailand before the 20th?

Also, if I can be in Thailand on the 20th is it possible to extend for 30 days on the 20th. Or should I go on the 19th to extend? (I know the 20th is riskier but im just wanting to know if it is possible to extend a visa exemption on its last day.)

Your last day is the 20th. You can leave on that day.

There is no reason to wait for the last day since the extension will start from that day even if you applied today. You can do it on the last day if you want to.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

I'd of thought the why was obvious.

I wouldn't base my plans on websites that may or may not be up to date. The only research needed is a call to the consulate or local agents.

Regardless of what the websites currently don't say, I going to revise my surprise to amazed if they're open.