Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bkk.jpg

Bangkok, along with other Coconuts cities including Yangon, Manila, and Jakarta, has been named amongst the most dangerous cities in the world to live in — it ranked near the bottom of the Safe Cities Index by magazine The Economist.

The study, which was released this week, analyzed 60 cities in four safety categories including digital, health, infrastructure, and personal security. Bangkok ranked 49th with a score of 60.05 out of a possible score of 100.

The Thai capital’s score was dragged down mainly by its personal security issues. Alongside cities such as Karachi, Pakistan; Istanbul, Turkey; and Mumbai, India, Bangkok ranked 4th in the world in terms of how at-risk residents are for crime, violence, and terrorism.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bangkok-one-dangerous-cities-live-study-says/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-10-18
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

from personal experience phnom penh, jakarta and manila are far worse.

be interesting to understand the criteria, but 20 years in bkk, i have had nary an incident.

I don't know PP but agree with you about Manila and Jakarta being far worse.

But there are certain parts of some big cities in the UK where I wouldn't want to go!

• Like 2

My view is that your safety is MOSTLY the product of your own personal choices and behavior.  I have lived in this city for ten years in the Victory Monument area and though I have taken long nighttime walks between 9pm and 1am I have never even encountered an instance of a threat to my safety.  

I am now in my 70’s and really rather defenseless so I have chosen to do my walking earlier.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, midasthailand said:

The same cannot be said for Sydney or any other Australian capital city.

The capital of Australia is Canberra.  However, I have a relation that has lived in Sydney, Perth, on the Gold Coast and currently living in Adelaide.  All large cities throughout the world are very similar; if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.  I've lived in Bangkok for a few years and had no problems at all.  And yet, I have stayed the odd week in the sticks, and have witnessed WW3 almost break-out for hardly no reason whatsoever.

In general, Thailand isn't a country that I would refer to as a safe place to live.  But, where is these days.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ooo! That won't go down well with TAT and the Junta. I am sure we will hear denials from them in fairly short order, telling us that key factors were incorrectly interpreted and that recent actions by the Government have addressed many of the issues, so that the ranking should be considered unfair and out of date.

You are right. My 1st thought was: oh oh, that means 14 hours shifts and no day off for 2 weeks for all members of the "TAT Counter & Correct News Task Force"

• Haha 2