Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

There recently was an report by the world health organization stating that Bangkok did not meet the clean air act. The particulates in  the air exceed the limits by 50%. Bangkok is not a healthy place to live a long life. Of course the government would not want to make this public, or want as few people as possible to know this.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I love living in Thailand, I avoid Bangkok as much as possible.

It is nice to have some objective confirmation of my decision...

The Economist, fascist MSM crap. Let's try Baltimore, Detroit, Lagos, Mogadishu - the health & safety resorts of the world. Next they'll be saying rice is bad for you, chilis cause autism, and speaking Thai is Communist. 

How do these rags stay in business? Corporate advertising, pushing corporate sponsored garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

from personal experience phnom penh, jakarta and manila are far worse.

be interesting to understand the criteria, but 20 years in bkk, i have had nary an incident.

They must have included the data from Pattaya and Phuket.  Those two combined would drag the results down.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

There recently was an report by the world health organization stating that Bangkok did not meet the clean air act. The particulates in  the air exceed the limits by 50%. Bangkok is not a healthy place to live a long life. Of course the government would not want to make this public, or want as few people as possible to know this.

The air is very clean in South Sudan. Life expectancy, 21. Tell me how it went.

2 minutes ago, Winky Wilson said:

Obviously a moronic flawed study. Try Chicago, LA, any city in Mexico, South America, Central America, or Africa. This is a joke. Bangkok is one of the safest cities in the world.

Totally agree. So we're both wrong? I've been in bad places - Honduras, Afghanistan, Sydney. Bangkok is OK.

Don't see how the report can be accurate without mentioning the 10 most dangerous cities in the USA.  https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/9-cleveland/#579e6c839037

I think the headline should read if you leave out the 10 most dangerous cities in the USA these are the most dangerous cities.

Reminds me of the first time I came to Bangkok.  The stewardess warned the passengers to be careful and then said our passengers who live in Saigon, eat drink and be merry nothing here going to hurt you. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's all in relativity of the matters, sure, if you go looking for troubles

in Bkk you'll find them, you'll find them in the most pious of cities for that

matter, living in BKK for over 30 years now, i have

seen very little evidences of deliberate violence, mostly accidental...  

"seen very little evidences of deliberate violence, mostly accidental... "

Never heard of accidental violence. I'll use that as a defence in Thailand when I knife a guy.  Your honour it was accidental violence as I slipped over and my knife unfortunately cut his throat" LMFA only in Thailand.

Funny that. Those who are frightened of BKK live elsewhere in Thailand or one poster saying he back in the UK.

Overwhelming majority feel perfectly safe.

False news..They should have mentioned Los Vegas, Chicago, New York and a dozen others.

Case closed.. Next!

I think that is BULL$HITE. I recently repatriated to my home country and lived in two different cities since coming back. Both cities which have a significantly lower population than Bangkok are far more dangerous. In the first city I was robbed for 80 dollars, and on another occasion had to run for my life when confronted by two strangers that meant me harm. In the second city I had my head smashed into a bar by someone I didn't even see coming at me, on another occasion  was smashed in the head by some drunk by a table umbrella anchor (that really hurt and required stitched to my head; don't know who the person was), the swat police stormed the bar while 3 or 4 gang members fled in every direction. I've seen several situations where the bar came to a stand still because of violence. This seems to be the norm.`

I lived in Bangkok for 18 years and NOTHING like that ever happened to me. I rarely saw fights in bars and I could normally walk home without incident. The only problem I ever had was with the Katloey's that hassle you occasionally but I could usually handle it by ignoring them and keeping one hand on my wallet. 

I would feel more safe walking down Sukumvit or Silom than any downtown street in my country. 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's all in relativity of the matters, sure, if you go looking for troubles

in Bkk you'll find them, you'll find them in the most pious of cities for that

matter, living in BKK for over 30 years now, i have

seen very little evidences of deliberate violence, mostly accidental...  

Spot on but that common sense will agitate the doom laden ! If you go looking for trouble on an English village green you'll find it - if you can act like an adult you'll be fine.

Surveys subjective, ra ra ra !!! Try walking around at night in Mexico city not to mention the USA. I spent quite some time in Los Angeles way back in the 90’s and even then it was not smart to leave the hotel at night on foot if you wanted to come back. 

2 hours ago, Suttisan said:

I noticed a change my last few years living there, a neighbour smashed his room up in the middle of the night, beat up his girlfriend then tried kicking my door down, saw many fights downstairs at the bar at my apartment building {ratchada soi 7}, one was 2 thai guys involving bricks and leo bottles, another one was a lesbian bust up, I was also followed twice by a set of college students who shouted <deleted> u at me, they clearly wanted me to react, last week living there went to kaosan where a group of bouncers beat the crap out of an English guy. The Japanese guy in the apartment next to mine was murdered, also a thai lady had her head cut off by another hooker when i was staying on ratchada 17. Lots of things happen but don't make the news, it's nice you feel safer in Bangkok or whatever but the truth is you're not. Also now I live in the UK the amount of people who tell me about bad things that happened to them in Thailand is off the scale. 

Wow you have no Black transvestite story? 

I have lived in BKK for 2 to 6 months for the last 17 years and feel extremely safe. No horror stories at all. Maybe Satorn where I lived for 10 years and more recently  Rachatewi are safe zones. What a story teller. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 650721 said:

Surveys subjective, ra ra ra !!! Try walking around at night in Mexico city not to mention the USA. I spent quite some time in Los Angeles way back in the 90’s and even then it was not smart to leave the hotel at night on foot if you wanted to come back. 

Have you ever walk the strip on Sukumvit after midnight? Did you ever feel fearful of your life while doing it?

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I have lived in BKK for 2 to 6 months for the last 17 years and feel extremely safe. No horror stories at all. Maybe Satorn where I lived for 10 years and more recently  Rachatewi are safe zones. What a story teller. 

I have lived in BKK for 2 to 6 months for the last 17 years and feel extremely safe.

Says it all. No need to comment!

• Thanks 1

Safe Cities Index 2017: Security in a rapidly urbanising world

About the report

The Safe Cities Index 2017 is a report from The Economist Intelligence Unit sponsored by NEC. The report is based on the second iteration of the index, which ranks 60 cities across 49 indicators covering digital security, health security, infrastructure security and personal security.

http://safecities.economist.com/safe-cities-index-2017

5 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

I have lived in BKK for 2 to 6 months for the last 17 years and feel extremely safe.

Says it all. No need to comment!

Yes I do  because a few years ago to many TVF posters means the 1980's, 1970's and 1960's so not really relevant. 

So no need to comment!! 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

No. I've done it many times. I just walk by. 

Exactly...unless you're an A$$hole looking for trouble you're not likely to find any. On the other hand, you might meat a lady that catches your fancy (just make sure it is a LADY unless you're into that kinda thing).

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Ok...I'm intrigued...You actually have some "Black transvestite" experiences that are significant enough that you feel the necessity to point that out? Please share your "Black transvestite" stories with us; unless it's too personal or vial.

I'm not being condescending; I mean it in a good way. 

I'm very surprised with this, after living 2 years in Bangkok I feel incredibly safe here and have never felt threatened. Of course if the stats take into account how likely you are hit by some idiot driver then I can understand. Having lived a decade in arab thug-infested Brussels, Bangkok feels like such as nice and safe place at any time of the day. I remember when spending my youth in Brussels, almost every time we went out to town at night someone got attacked by this scum. Healthcare is excellent too in Bangkok, both public and private.