Ex British Royal Marine running for the Great Rama IX says sorry to the Thai people from his hospital bed - but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, shillhater said:

0521 hrs mss nasty..off on a jolly...not that it is any business of yours

You claim, without justification, my posts were nasty.

You insult me.

You have given yourself an aggressive name.

It would appear, on the evidence, that you are the nasty one. But you don't like to look at objective analysis of the facts.

Shall we call a halt to this childishness?

12 hours ago, Julie H said:

I guess they dont teach marines how to hydrate & replace electrolytes. Your 15 minutes is up hero..........next

A real marine would have planned and prepared better, and been tough enough to accomplish a daily jog without collapsing in a shambolic heap.

15 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This is what happens when you try to ingratiate yourself with the Thais.

Swollen joints?

Strange you say that because in my experience with Thais they always discourage me from walking. Take a motorbike taxi! Take a  songteow! is the cry I always hear.

6 hours ago, chippendale said:

A real marine would have planned and prepared better, and been tough enough to accomplish a daily jog without collapsing in a shambolic heap.

Wow. Have you ever been a "real" marine?

Considering he made it from Chiang Rai to Khampaeng Phet, some 500 km or so, I consdier that is a little more than a daily jog.

But fair play to you.

I will put my money where your mouth is and sponsor you at 10 baht per km.

Are you up for that. Of course you will have to supply your own support team and not cheat on the way, but I am sure that you will be able to do it, just to prove that you are better then one of her Majesty's Royals.

56 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I will put my money where your mouth is and sponsor you at 10 baht per km.

Are you up for that. Of course you will have to supply your own support team and not cheat on the way, but I am sure that you will be able to do it, just to prove that you are better then one of her Majesty's Royals.

Cheap Charlie :biggrin:

I don't need no "support team".

And I won't cheat = I won't claim to be a hero marine or SAS.

15 hours ago, chippendale said:

Cheap Charlie :biggrin:

I don't need no "support team".

And I won't cheat = I won't claim to be a hero marine or SAS.

Why am I a cheap charlie? It will cost me between 7 and 8,000 thb but I am sure that you will be able to get other sponsors as did the Royal.

He was smart though, and he realised that without a support team it is an impossible task.

He has never claimed to be a hero, just one of Her Majesties Royal Marines, nor has he claimed to be SAS.

What is your claim to fame? Have you ever been in any armed forces.

So you are going to do the same run with no support and not cheating at all.

Good for you.

Go for it and please keep all of us on TVF informed of your progress on a daily basis.

After all it is only about 792 km using the route 1.

Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why am I a cheap charlie? It will cost me between 7 and 8,000 thb but I am sure that you will be able to get other sponsors as did the Royal.

He was smart though, and he realised that without a support team it is an impossible task.

He has never claimed to be a hero, just one of Her Majesties Royal Marines, nor has he claimed to be SAS.

Good for you.

Go for it and please keep all of us on TVF informed of your progress on a daily basis.

Have a nice day.

Talk talk talk .... Show me the money!

I'll proceed to Kampaeng Phet Hospital to donate all your generous proceeds to our poor "royal marine" lounging on a hospital bed. Should arrive there in a few days.

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Good for you.

Have a nice day.

He failed to scale the north face of his front door step, so had to call it off

14 minutes ago, chippendale said:

Talk talk talk .... Show me the money!

I'll proceed to Kampaeng Phet Hospital to donate all your generous proceeds to our poor "royal marine" lounging on a hospital bed. Should arrive there in a few days.

Obviously you don't understand sponsorship.

FIRST you complete the run, logging in along the way, then the sponsors pay up.

NOT the other way around.

However I am quite satisfied that my money is safe.

You talk a lot but never seem to do anything.

On your marathon way drop into my place and I will give you a free cup of tea and a glass of cold water. It is only 479 km to Khampaeng Phet and another 65 km to my place.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Obviously you don't understand sponsorship.

FIRST you complete the run, logging in along the way, then the sponsors pay up.

NOT the other way around.

However I am quite satisfied that my money is safe.

You talk a lot but never seem to do anything.

On your marathon way drop into my place and I will give you a free cup of tea and a glass of cold water. It is only 479 km to Khampaeng Phet and another 65 km to my place.

A cup of tea and glass of water at your modest dwelling is so generous of you. Unfortunately, I won't dare venture into any rough slums on my ultra-marathon, so I won't be dropping by.

The swollen ankles and shrunken kidneys of that poor "marine" won't pay for themselves, so please don't be so timid and stingy. Donate generously.

Wow.... this thread really has brought out a handful of extremely sour, bitter and poisonous individuals... With certainty these guys have not, are not and will not make the world around them a better place, they have turned something positive into something radioactive...   I am more than happy I know of no such people in my personal life.

On the other hand I would be proud to know this Ex Marine who is prepared to push himself to such extremes in his attempts to make the world around him a better place. 

17 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

But you've sure allowed yourself to get wound up by him.

He's just having a laugh (at your expense). I wouldn't bother taking the bait.

Nobody is wound up by him, he is just showing what a fool he really is. In life some things mean more to some people than others, in my honest opinion people who try to help other people do not deserve ridicule, but there again that is just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Julie H said:

In 2014 i ran Kolkata to Dehli in 29days 1400km. The answer to your second question is classified 

That's more than a marathon each day. I guess you're the only true marine among the many pretenders on this thread. :jap: I salute you.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow.... this thread really has brought out a handful of extremely sour, bitter and poisonous individuals... With certainty these guys have not, are not and will not make the world around them a better place, they have turned something positive into something radioactive...   I am more than happy I know of no such people in my personal life.

On the other hand I would be proud to know this Ex Marine who is prepared to push himself to such extremes in his attempts to make the world around him a better place. 

Non Sequitur!!

I think this guy is nuts. It doesn't follow that I'm "extremely sour, bitter and poisonous"... and don't help the world in more sensible ways. 

That's a very unreasonable assumption to make. I thought you were more balanced than you've shown here. Did we catch you on a bad day?

NardRunner,

The only thing that can be reasonably inferred from the article is that

1 - you're a former marine collecting money

2 - you're currently hospitalized in Thailand due to a self-chosen activity with an extremely high risk of rhabdomyolysis, which in fact turned out to give you rhabdomyolysis

The article doesn't do much in the way of substantiating that you're paying for the stay, and that the money actually goes to charity, which is basically what people are discussing in a more or less nice way here.

SEA is a scammer's paradise. The lack of jobs, costly private entertainment, lack effective official control and transparency, and desperate people with burned bridges and dodgy pasts who come here see to that.

One of the first things I remember from my first time 10 years ago and that's really stuck with me is never mind the locals, watch out for all the crazy farang/barang/bule trying to grab your cash. I can't count the number of charities from more or less good people who turned out to actually stuff the money down their pockets over the year. The royal family and being and ex-RAF are strong emotional arguments, which are frequently used to create trust. So some people are suspicious with good reason.

The burden of proof that you're actually passing these contributions on is on you here. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some evidence before we believe you. You're saying we can contact the hospital for the auditing, but do they employ proper auditors or accountants? Has anyone actually checked with them yet?

Thailand has a problem with corruption. Theoretically someone in charge might be splitting the proceedings and giving a small amount or nothing to the hospital. Not suggesting it's a fact, but it's hard to disprove it as of now. There's a reason why we have registered charities with independent auditing in Western countries, and it's to prevent fraud. As far as I can see, this isn't a registered charity with independent third party auditing.

You seem credible to me, but credible guys have frequently shown themselves to be unworthy of trust in Thailand before. In any case, I hope you get well and that the hostpital gets some good contributions.

Hi everybody,

Its a shame that this thread has attracted so much negativity!

I appreciate that some people around the world are not honest and where these people can pray on the kindness of others to scam them out of their hard earned cash, they will.

Just to make it clear; I spent 3 days in a private hospital in Kamphaeng Phet and my bill came to just over ฿10,000, a fee paid for out of my own pocket as my insurance picked up the tab and I'm pretty sure the hospital will confirm this. It was the Eakachon Hospital for those of you who need something to do. I've had my insurance for the 3 years I've been in Thailand.

For those of you who live here or have visited Thailand and had the pleasure of experiencing it's healthcare system, you'll know full well that you fork out for this yourself!

Donations made to Siriraj Hospital were done via locked and sealed collection boxes and online. At no stage did I or any other support team member physically handle any donation cash. If you want to speak to Siriraj regarding how much was raised, please get in touch with them. The way they use this or what they do with it does concern me but I have absolutely no control over this. My aim was to raise the money, not use it!

Sponsorship funds raised were a very generous amount but certainly not enough to cover the event. I covered 50% of this event with my own green including medical care. Sponsorship money was to cover food, water, fuel and accommodation for myself and a support team of 2 persons.

This article has been created and posted by ThaiVisa. At no stage has any journalist or reporter from ThaiVisa interviewed me. I did not stop due to dehydration, I entered the hospital on my own two feet, I was not rescued and I certainly did say I'd finish this, although I did not say I'd walk. This is running event and will carry on as such once my injuries (right winged scapula and right shin stress fractures) have been taken care off!

As for fake, unprepared, stupid, useless, jogging, failed, lying, lounging in a hospital bed or whatever other word you would like to use in an attempt to slam me or my efforts to run 900k in 14 days, please be my guest.

Siriraj Hospital and Hua Hin City Hall insisted I keep hold of the collection boxes to raise more funds during the following 570k, I've gone against their wishes and the collection boxes have now been handed back in to Siriraj Hospital. I've closed the JustGiving site as it expired anyway and the Royal Marines Charity take 100% of online donations! The remaining 570k will be run accepting no further donations to charity or any further sponsorship so I hope this keeps some of you happy?

I sincerely hope you all have an awesome day, no matter what you've put on this thread. I don't know any of you but I'm quite positive that there are some decent people amongst you all, even among the negative posts.

If you have time, which it clearly looks like most of you do, please read the below post event analysis, which I have to say is very self-critical for obvious reasons. This was written one week ago.

For those of you who wish to continue writing negative comments about me, please get in touch via [email protected]. I live in Hua Hin; come and have a coffee, a beer, even come for a run to establish whether you think I'm prepared enough? 

POST EVENT ANALYSIS:

TGKHR

So, The Great King's Home Run is suspended and I did not complete the 900k in 14 days (in one go) that I had set out to.

As I sit in Ramkamheang Hospital in Bangkok contemplating the past 9 days and scribbling this memo down, whilst swimming in what feels like a sea of underachievement, guilt and failure I begin to try to understand what went wrong and why?

From the young age of 15, I had started preparing myself physically and mentally for the hardships of Royal Marines Commando training. After just under a year of preparation, I began and successfully completed one of, if not the most arduous infantry training course in the world at the age of 16. Young, naive, inexperienced and unconditioned, I managed to drag my carcass through 30 weeks of physical and mental torture. The most difficult part to understand, surrounding my eventual success at earning a green beret is that I had applied no real science to how I should have performed then, from about day 2 to week 29 I did not want to be there and thought about leaving with every waking moment. On top of this, we were provided with the most basic of equipment at the time where wearer comfort and ergonomics was most probably one of the last tick boxes during the design and review phases of said equipment. All of this and with very limited rest periods, I amongst many others still performed and succeeded.

The planning phase for The Great King's Home Run began in April 2017. After witnessing the response of a nation following the sad passing of His Majesty, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, I felt compelled as a foreigner living in Thailand to contribute to this Monarchs efforts. After all, being a father to 2 Thai/English children and a husband to a Thai wife, I knew this display of effort would set an example to my children, give my wife a substance related to her mourning period towards her much loved Monarch and allow myself to help others by involving His Majesty's charitable projects. In essence, I wanted to uphold a understandable love for this monarch, teach my children about their King, help others whist doing so and try to reach some personal boundaries.

I sat for endless days and nights; I burned the midnight oil whilst examining the route taking into account elevation, traffic, potential for flooding areas during the rainy season, wildlife etc etc. I sent out literally hundreds of sponsorship requests and even stooped as low as to breath life back into my FaceBook account in order to raise awareness. 

After the route had been set in stone, I knew I had some serious training to do and started immediately. I researched equipment, I put in some serious K's day and night, discovered my 'ultra-marathon pace', ran until I re-experienced severe dehydration and fatigue so I could recognise the signs and symptoms and intervene before the situation worsened whilst gaining some good conditioning. I detailed a training plan to include day and night running in the heat and in heavy rain (both would be experienced after all). I set about trying to measure my average water and calorific output over a specific time at a specific pace to identify how much I'd have to put back in on/after a particular leg, nutrition plans, sleep plans, recovery plans. If it was going to be encountered during this event, I'd read about it and prepared for it.............ten fold! As the saying goes; "proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance"

So, from Royal Marines training to The Great King's Home Run, what was different, why did this go wrong?

Apart from 20 years age difference, I began this event a lot fitter, a hell of a lot more prepared mentally and physically, more conditioned, better equipped. Still, why did it all go wrong?

The first 32k on the 11th went like a dream. In less than 4 hours I had come off one of Thailands biggest mountains and hadn't taken too much of a pounding on the quads. The legs felt great and the feet even better. Through the great city of Chiang Mai, the only thing that was really tested was my patience in having to deal with rush hour traffic and inpatient motorists. I arrived at Sangtong Hotel in good time and in good condition. This hotel was the first of many scheduled in at each days end and all were located less than 2km away from each stop point. A hotel change had occurred and without my knowledge. The plan was to arrive at Sangtong, ice massage, stretch, consume fluid and fuel followed by a minimum of 4 hours sleep prior to the next 33k leg. 

After 10 minutes standing in the rain after 4 hours of running, a car arrived at the car park of the hotel and directed me to jump in as it would take to the newly arranged hotel back in town. 30 minutes later I arrived at my newly arranged accommodation. This meant another 30 minute journey back to my start point and therefore an hour of travelling thrown into what should have been 6 hours of recovery. The warning signs had presented themselves on the first day but I was so engulfed in the event, I shrugged it off and accepted the change.

This fluid and fuss-less acceptance in a change to my planning was to be the foundation of my failure. We tested and adjusted to suit all involved and this became a common occurrence over the next 5 days. Maybe this distraction from the most important part of this effort, which was recovery of the runner was where it all began? Maybe this was an immediate cause of the injuries that were to ensue? 

On occasion, time after running was spent discussing what was going to be eaten that evening, then the person sent to purchase the food, food cooked, returned to hotel and then consumed. All well outside of the golden hour where the body is demanding this nutrition before it begins to find it from elsewhere i.e. off my scrawny body! It was already doing this anyway but not providing it during the important periods compounded my event destiny. This once again was deducting from much needed rest and recovery time. Yes, I was still killing various birds with a single stone. I could still ice, I could still stretch, I could still lick my small wounds and prepare my equipment for the next 30+k leg, but all was still very much 'up in the air' as a support team should have been doing this for me!

Now, before anybody gets any funny ideas and is beginning to think that I'm slipping out of the spotlight whilst dragging the support team into it, please stop, take a deep breath and breath again! My support team were the single reason I made it as far as I did and as quick as I did! 33k in 5 days and I would not change their effort or dedication with any other on the planet. They put 150% effort in to every second and I never went without. They were at my disposal and maybe I should have taken charge a bit more? From the start of the run my protein shakes and pre-run meal was ready, there was ice in the drinks buckets filled with various fluids, electrolytes and fruits, chocolates, you name it and they had it all ready for me! 

It was the periods in between running that I had not emphasised the importance to my support team about. I knew I could run, that was actually the easy part! I knew that recovery in such a short time would be difficult. In hindsight, it's not the running that gets me to the finish line but actually the recovery and without the correct persons on the team who understands this and know how to manage a recovery period for an event of this magnitude, it was doomed from the start.

Hydration was difficult but not impossible. I consumed loads during the legs, in fact sometimes too much! So much that I'd feel sick and be unable to eat post run for at least an hour, once again affecting recover time. Most of my running was conducted at night, but still very warm and with litres of water lost through sweat every hour. 

Most of the messages and news coverage I've received state or suggest that I failed due to being dehydrated. This is definitely a contributing factor but not the root cause of my failure. 

I stood in a pharmacy 4 days before the event with 14 cannula, 7 giving sets, alcohol swabs and loads of bags of saline in a basket. I looked down at what I was about to purchase and the penny dropped. Why did I see it fit to now introduce, at this very last minute, an additional hydration system that I was capable of employing but had not involved during my training periods, had no other people trained on the team to administer this system and why did I see the need to purchase this equipment if I had not identified severe dehydration as a possible problem encountered? Actually, I had! I had just been so blessed with infrastructure, decent rest periods and no real time constraints on my recovery periods during training that this control measure had been simply shrugged off.

So, things had started going down the pan but let's look at these chronologically and see how the snowball effect worked.

Changes in the fixed planning resulting in loss of recovery time. 

Loss of recovery time resulting in care and attention of affected muscle groups not being addressed, lack of adequate fluid and fuel intake and lack of sleep.

Day 3: I sprained my right ankle. Possibly due to lack of stretching and icing during what had now become 'rushed' recovery periods.

Ran for 2 days with a sprained ankle to reduce the pain being experienced. Left leg taking 70% of the effort leading to severe muscle breakdown along with lack of fuel for the affected muscle groups.

Muscles breaking down rapidly in the left leg depositing particles into my blood and damaging my kidneys.

Kidneys now hindered in dealing with copious amounts of fluids along with massive amounts of myoglobin.

Day 4 and already urinating coca-cola coloured urine.

Urinating neat blood on day 5 - this for me means "enough Nard".

So, in a nut shell, the hardships my body was going through could have been managed and either improved or at least maintained. Lack of body management during recovery periods ensured I kept deteriorating at a slow rate and this inevitably resulting in a crash. Could the support team I had employed prevented this? No, they were not athletes, ultra-runners nor did they have the experience or knowledge to identify the signs and symptoms of Rhabdomyolysis.

This crash was the event managers fault from start to finish. The event manager being me; the runner.

I had a duty to provide information, instruction and maybe even a bit of training to the support team to better equip them and make them more efficient. 

So, I'm blaming myself completely for this crash at 333k on day 5. I have 570k still left to do and this will be achieved in the very near future (once ankle and shoulder are back to normal) but I've stopped calling this a failure. I learned a lot about myself, I learned about my support team, I learned more about Thailand and Thai people, I learned more about where the real attention is needed in Thailand, I learned so much! We raised nearly £10,000 for the 2 selected charities and raised much awareness. The beginning of this journey has been successful and we still have such a long way to go!

570k - Kampheang Phet to Hua Hin.

So far, as massive thank you to:

• My wife and kids for being on the support team
  • My support team who were there through thick and thin, day and night

• MY SPONSORS:
  • Hua Hin Property
  • Orchid Palm Homes
  • JQ Seafood
  • Hua Hin Hamlet
  • Nico Cafe
  • Cafe des Amis
  • True Arena
  • Broadgate Financial Securities 

• Hua Hin City Hall and Tesaban
  • P Ukrit (Tesaban Hua Hin Officer)
  • Chiang Mai Tesaban
  • Lampang Tesaban
  • Tak Tesaban
  • Khampaeng Phet Tesaban
  • Nakhon Sawan Tesaban
  • Sing Buri Tesaban
  • Ayutthaya Tesaban
  • Samut Songkram Tesaban
  • Cha-Am Tesaban 

• Royal Thai Police Force

• All of those who donated to my selected charities
  • All of this who dedicated time to my event
  • All those people by the roadside who stopped or waited to give me food and water
  • All of the well wishers during the event and also during my time in hospital

For us all, the event is not done.

It's not how we start something, but how we finish it!

The Great King's Home Run.

#thegreatkingshomerun

To NardRunner

Good luck and thank you for your effort.

Here on Thai Visa there are ALWAYS the moaners and whiners, those who don't like anything about Thailand and take every opportunity to run it down, to bash and insult the entire population. There are also the ones who can and will find fault with any good post, there are the keyboard warriors, the countless numbers of ex SAS, SBS, USN SEALS, CIA, MI5 etc. There are the jealous ones out there who will decry any attempt to help or support the Thai people.

In addition there are also quite a few posters who are completely the opposite and do like Thailand and the Tai people, who constantly look for the best in all people, who actively support people like you. Many of us are ex-military from all branches but who are not boasters or bar flies. Many of us are married and have families and children, homes, businesses and who like living in Thailand and are very happy here.

Let all the moaners and whingers run 10 km in your shoes, if they can.

As my DI back in 1960 (when I was a Boy Entrant in the RAF) was fond of saying,

If you can't take a joke then you shouldn't have joined.

(deleted) 'em if they don't like it.

British army veteran's Thai fundraiser turned out to be fraud. Hmmm.

Are you trying to guilt trip people for suggesting maybe you could provide some evidence that this money is actually being handed over to its rightful recipients on the very same day another British ex-army veteran was busted for a fraudulent charity collection, Nardrunner?

I mean yeah the boxes are all sealed and just call the hospital, but noone here knows about those seals, and if you call the main number of the hospital, they won't have a clue what you're talking about and will likely answer "kaa" to everything you're saying.

So it's basically you saying you're not like those other guys. Ok, I hope so too. But I won't feel bad asking for evidence about it.