NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

I am always behind the tech curve. After this AIS mess, just now discovering that there are many iptv alternatives that meet or exceed the programming offered on Playbox, ranging from free (mobrobo) to around US$20/mo. Mobrobo seems OK, but the quality of the streaming is spotty and you are forced to watch several minutes of ads before accessing a channel, no way to bypass the ad that I have figured out.  Will be trying another one, "Area 51-" for US$5/mo. which has gotten good reviews and has been responsive to questions I raised. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, rexall said:

I am always behind the tech curve. After this AIS mess, just now discovering that there are many iptv alternatives that meet or exceed the programming offered on Playbox, ranging from free (mobrobo) to around US$20/mo. Mobrobo seems OK, but the quality of the streaming is spotty and you are forced to watch several minutes of ads before accessing a channel, no way to bypass the ad that I have figured out.  Will be trying another one, "Area 51-" for US$5/mo. which has gotten good reviews and has been responsive to questions I raised. 

Before both my new Playboxes got neutered I ran Mobdro on one of the Playboxes...the one that I primarily watched.  But Mobdro didn't get along very good with the Playbox.,.apparent compatibility issues....and I would keep the latest version of  Mobdro on the box. Mobdro would always install no problem and disregrading the lower quality streaming of Mobdro and the ads that can get annoying, it was quite common "when closing Mobdro" I could not get the AIS TV channels to play. The TV channels would start-up...show what channel you are on, name of the show playing, etc.., but the channel would not play...no streaming.    And Youtube wouldn't stream video either...when trying to start a video you would just get the rotating circle, black screen, etc.

You could try clearing data/cache on the individual apps or the whole box...or even turn the Playbox on and off (ie.., on or standby) but the only way to get the TV channels & YouTbue streaming again was to completely power down the Playbox (no power), turn it back on, and you can view TV, Youtube, etc. again.

Mobdro didn't cause the problem every time, but I would say only around 50% of the time.   It just mess-up other streaming apps on the new Playbox....and as mentioned it did it on an intermittent basis.   After a while I just stopped using Mobdro on the Playbox unless I really, really wanted to watch something I could only get on Mobdro fully realizing there is a good chance I might have to power down the box to get it working again with other streaming apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, jumbo said:

My new AIS Playbox just got updated... Apps gone

Going for an android box besides the AIS playbox

It also threw off my LAN/ethernet settings, I tried to fix myself to no avail so need to call AIS customer service one of these days

Bought the T95z plus Android Box from Lazada, includes Kodi (haven't touched it yet) affordable and works like a charm

My AIS Playbox (old model) has still not been updated.

Is there anyone else who has not been updated yet ?
Mine still hasn't. Hopefully because the updating is on hold pending them getting it right. Probably wishful thinking though.

Sent using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, dolvitius said:

My AIS Playbox (old model) has still not been updated.

Is there anyone else who has not been updated yet ?

AIS has a divine update plan (schedule) that will be made known to you when the time is right.  ?

Both my new model boxes were updated on 11 May....for the next 10 days or so they didn't reliably stream AIS TV shows and movies...sometimes stream reliably...other times piss poor streaming....other times in-between reliability.  Then both boxes started streaming fine....reliability very good.   No software updated on the boxes because I watched for that closely; it just some fix they did on the AIS server end. 

But one problem then and still remains is your "Preferred Audio (Language) setting for all channels (you can choose English or Thai) does not work on all dual language channels...some channels it does....some it don't.  Other posters confirms this problem affect everyone after getting their boxes upgraded...or at least if you have a new model  box.

Where it's suppose  to provide English audio on a dual language channel because you have set your Preferred Audio to English it instead initially plays in Thai and then you have to manually change another audio setting from English to Thai and then back to English to get English....kinda like kick-starting it into playing English audio.   This manual switching takes you about 5 to 10 seconds of button pushing....and this manual audio change is not changing your Preferred Audio setting...it's just temporarily switching the language on the channel you are watching....switch from that channel and come back to it and you have to go thru the switch audio thing again.  

But I will have to say the new AIS TV Play app/interface  is ton better than the old AIS TV Play app/interface...they just need to get the Preferred Audio working correctly for all channels.   Been a month now since I was upgraded and the Preferred Audio is still not working right....and I've called in the problem several times....they act like it's news to them, but I know they are fully aware of the problem and it's widespread....just something they haven't got fixed yet but they will not admit it.

As you know, my Fox Thai was not not streaming English on the English channel for a while (fixed now) and my box hasn't even been updated, so in that case I think they'd just buggered up the stream itself.

I'm in no particular rush to get the update but I would be interested to check if the number keys on the MX3 air-mouse that I have now assigned to Playbox duty (given that virtually all, rather than just some of the functionality of the MX3, on the Minix A2 Lite works with the Shield for those rare occasions I need to use it) will work as intended.  If they do, for me, that remote, being wifi, at 300 baht or so would still be a better option than the improved IR AIS remote at twice the price.  IR is still IR and a poor second to wifi / bluetooth on a remote IMO.  Be interesting to see if any of the keys on it will work as a Favourites key, possibly one real benefit with the AIS remote.  As an aside, currently, on non-updated box, the email and Internet keys work as they should, opening the respective apps.  All that will go with the update, not that I use them anyway.

9 minutes ago, SooKee said:

As you know, my Fox Thai was not not streaming English on the English channel for a while (fixed now) and my box hasn't even been updated, so in that case I think they'd just buggered up the stream itself.

Yea...I remember that for you old model, un-neutered box...that was some problem on the AIS servers end that they got fixed.  And I expect the preferred audio problem for the new boxes is all on the AIS servers end also...just the encoding of the video stream.

But for others listening in and who haven't seen the new AIS Play TV app yet, instead of having two channel icons for dual language channels...one channel icon for English language and one channel icon for Thai language....just select the channel icon you want....on the new AIS Play app on neutered/updated boxes there is only "one channel for a dual language channel."    FoxThai for example...a dual language channel for most shows...only one channel icon is displayed.  If you select the FoxThai channel icon and if the Preferred Audio setting was working properly and you had it set to English, the channel would play English audio....all is as you preferred.

But if your Preferred Audio setting does not correctly select your preferred audio on a dual language channel, you have to do the 5 to 10 seconds of button pushing to manually change the audio.

Mine's a new model box, not old.  The new system sounds better, IF it works.  Hopefully they'll fix the problem.  Maybe the fact that they are aware of it is the reason the roll-out has stopped, if indeed it has, if it hasn't though they're taking a long time to progress the update, both to new boxes and old.

1 minute ago, SooKee said:

Mine's a new model box, not old.

Oh yea...I remember now....got  you confused with some others. 

But whether old or new model box, the "old AIS Play app/interface" offers two channels icons for dual language channels....where the "new AIS Play app/interface" offers only one channel for dual (or single) language channels.

Yeah, for sure, only mentioned about it being the new version in case some folks thought it was only some older boxes that haven't yet been updated.  If all was going well, I would expected it to have been updated by now.  So one can only assume (hope) they are fixing how it works first.

As I wrote earlier, I still use the old model AIS Playbox which was delivered to me when I subscribed to AIS Fiber in 2015. I find this old Playbox is getting quite unstable now : it automatically reboots with no reason. So I am thinking of asking AIS to upgrade to the new model. I have not yet contacted AIS CS to enquire on the conditions : especially, will they charge me or not for the upgrade ?

But the key question I am wondering is : does the new model for the Playbox which AIS is currently delivering to his customers come with the neutering modification firmware in or withoutIf it does not come with the neutering firmware, it means that, shortly after you connect the new Playbox, AIS will remotely update the firmware to neuter the box. And, in this case, I am almost sure that I will be able to prevent AIS from remotely updating the firmware by disabling the TR069 feature in my router, as I currently do.

Could anyone who recently acquired the new model of the Playbox be kind enough to share his/her experience ?  Especially, was the neutering firmware already installed, or was it remotely installed later after connection to the network ?

8 hours ago, dolvitius said:

But the key question I am wondering is : does the new model for the Playbox which AIS is currently delivering to his customers come with the neutering modification firmware in or without

I expect they come neutered/updated now....below is a post of a person who got a new model Playbox  over the last few months.

13 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect they come neutered/updated now....below is a post of a person who got a new model Playbox  over the last few months.

Thanks, Pib, for digging out this post. That's useful information.

In case the new model comes with the neutered firmware and there is no possibility to go back to a un-neutered status, I think I'd rather stay with my un-neutered old Playbox as I have never watch the Thai TV channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat surprisingly still not updated here, wonder if I'm fortunate enough that they've forgotten about me, doubt it though.  Just hoping that the longer wait means they're fixing things to get it right before progressing the roll out further.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Somewhat surprisingly still not updated here, wonder if I'm fortunate enough that they've forgotten about me, doubt it though.  Just hoping that the longer wait means they're fixing things to get it right before progressing the roll out further.

One can dream I guess.  :wink:

Been one month and 10 days since they neutered both of my new model boxes and the Preferred Audio still don't work for all dual language channels.   AIS is obviously not in any hurry to fix that issue for whatever reason(s).   

For sure!  I'd nuked all the apps from my Playbox to get used to having it without, mostly have kept it that way but did, seeing as it still hasn't happened, I just stuck You Tube and Spotify back on in case I want to flick over without changing boxes.  It'll likely get nuked on Monday now 555.

I see there programme guide (web version) has taken a dive again (unless they moved the page again without telling anyone like they did last time), every channel marked top with 'Coming Soon'.  Fat lot of use.  Honestly their handling of this service (or whoever they farmed it out too) is pretty pi55 poor.  You'd have to try hard to f##k it up more!!

I'm pretty sure AIS is going to "keep you in suspense, looking over your shoulder" as long as they can.  You might end up being the Last Mochian. ?

Kinda glad now they neutered my two boxes back in early May...I no longer have to worry "will today be the day?"   Now I only have to worry will the boxes stream properly today.

I'm pretty sure AIS is going to "keep you in suspense, looking over your shoulder" as long as they can.  You might end up being the Last Mochian. [emoji3]

Kinda glad now they neutered my two boxes back in early May...I no longer have to worry "will today be the day?"   Now I only have to worry will the boxes stream properly today.
5555. Not bothered about the update TBH. Wish they'd fix the bloody Programme Guide though and try to keep it running for more than 2 months!

Sent using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Both my new model Playboxes got a software/firmware update push this afternoon.   You know, where you get a popup message while watching TV saying new software has download, must reboot, and  everything is erased as the major upgrade occurs.   

On the first box I got a popup message while watching TV that the download was complete...will need to reboot now to complete the upgrade.  I click OK, go ahead.  After a minute or two that box finishes the upgrade and I wonder what's not going to work or what's going to get fixed?   Well, everything still seems to work but the dual audio language issue on some channels didn't get fixed....that issue is probably not Playbox related but AIS TV servers related.   

Turned on the second box and just did a Software Upgrade check instead of waiting for the popup message while watching TV...get interrupted in the middle of watching something.  The upgrade was downloaded and installed.  Once again the upgrade went successfully....everything seems to work...just the dual audio issue still exists....as mentioned that must be an AIS TV server issue.

Didn't have to reset any preferences like language preference, etc., after the upgrade....all preferences were retained.

Didn't visually notice any difference in the launcher/interface but I really haven't checked it out much...only a few minutes.   But the launcher/interface version number did change.   

After the upgrade the Android version is still 7.1.2.....the Security Patch date and Kernel version are unchanged....but the Release Keys number is updated.  Additionally, the AIS TV launcher/interface version went from 7.6.22 to 7.6.38.

Looks like you're being used as a beta testbed Pib LOL.  Still on the old firmware here, with English audio working where it should.  Hopefully they've forgotten about me.  I don't intend to try and find out.  Wonder what they changed?

SooKee,

I thought about you while getting this latest software upgrade on both boxes.  I thought, gosh, here my boxes got neutered on 11 May and now I'm getting some fine tuning on that neutering...I've now got two firmware pushes.   And Sookee is probably still has an unneutered box...somehow dodging the neutering firmware upgrade. 

It would be interesting to know percentage-wise  how many Playboxes remain unneutered like yours.    Maybe you are one of many...or maybe a Lone Ranger....who knows....heck, AIS probably don't even know.

hi-ho-silver-away.jpg

I have a feeling it won't last.  Be great if it did, even put iFlix, YouTube and Spotify back on the box.  Be interesting to see if they think they've fixed all they need to and someone now hits 'Push Update - Global'.

I don't understand why AIS doesn't push the neutering update to all boxes at the same time...or at least over a short time period like say two weeks (which is really not a short period).   True does this all the time whenever they push put major updates to their settop boxes.  When I was with TrueVisions they use to do it about twice a year.  Before the major udpate a person would start getting notices a week or so before to include banners scrolling across the top or bottom of any channel you might be watching.  Usually the update occurred from around midnight to 6am...during that major update TrueVisions was basically off the air.

Maybe there are some technical issues with "parts" of AIS network not suited to the new AIS TV app on a neutered box...or maybe AIS continues to get so much negative feedback/calls to their Call Center after a neutering they want to drag out the neutering over a long period....months and months and months....Thai style.

Maybe they have avoided updating your box because they fear you.   ?   And obviously, they have no fear of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having a problem with Fox Action Movies?  Cutting out intermittently to blank / black screen for a second.  Other channels are fine so it's not the box or connection.  Likely yet another server problem.  Still on original firmware.

8 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Anyone else having a problem with Fox Action Movies?  Cutting out momentarily to blank / black screen every 10-15 seconds.  Other channels are fine so it's not the box or connection.  Likely yet another server problem.  Still on original firmware.

I just watched the channel for approx 5 minutes on a neutered box and over that 5 minutes a black screen appeared 4 times....each black screen would last less than a second.  Just a server issue I expect.

Guess so.  Tried again and the movie just freezes frame.  Oh well ?  Chalk it up.

Got an SMS from them today about HooQ to be charged at 119 pm from tomorrow.  Anniversary of my PB related contract I guess.  Cancelled it.

Archived