NO MORE 3rd PARTY APPS on AIS PLAYBOX! :o{

rexall

5 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

One could ask AIS for a 2nd generation box and hope that they don't lock it down completely, but I think that I'd rather buy a generic sub-2000 baht Android box from Lazada and install the AIS Play app on it. That's assuming that the appeal of the AIS Playbox is that it gives you access to AIS's proprietary IPTV streaming - you can get that from the app and if you don't care about AIS's IPTV then there's no clear advantage of the AIS Playbox over a cheap Android box.

Yes, I understood that the playbox (version 1) was pretty much bottom of the range, so I'd be fine replacing it with something of similar low spec.

I noticed in Tesco just now they have AJ and Aconatic brands from 690 baht, also an Aconatic 357T2 for 890, which seems to be better spec and English language functionality. Anyone had success with these cheap brands?

Btw, when you had your playbox 1 neutered, was the AIS interface the same afterwards or completely different? On mine the horizontal channel bar has been replaced by a vertical column on the left of the screen, with everything non AIS related gone. Previously if I hit the home button on the playbox remote, I'd be taken to a full screen of multicoloured boxes, where I could scroll horizontally to TV, Multimedia, Apps, Mobile Sync and Settings - there are no options like this now. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spoke to AIS, and the lady sounded a bit embarrassed so presumably has had a few calls about it already. I asked her if a factory reset would fix the issue, or if I upgraded to the newer box, and in both cases she said no, the new AIS "upgrade" allows no third party apps to be used. I pointed out that it was much more of a downgrade than an upgrade, but I kept a pleasant tone as she was a nice lady and understood the problem. She said she will forward my feedback to the engineers, but sounds like that's the end of the story as far as the playbox goes. 

Yes, I understood that the playbox (version 1) was pretty much bottom of the range, so I'd be fine replacing it with something of similar low spec.

I noticed in Tesco just now they have AJ and Aconatic brands from 690 baht, also an Aconatic 357T2 for 890, which seems to be better spec and English language functionality. Anyone had success with these cheap brands?

Btw, when you had your playbox 1 neutered, was the AIS interface the same afterwards or completely different? On mine the horizontal channel bar has been replaced by a vertical column on the left of the screen, with everything non AIS related gone. Previously if I hit the home button on the playbox remote, I'd be taken to a full screen of multicoloured boxes, where I could scroll horizontally to TV, Multimedia, Apps, Mobile Sync and Settings - there are no options like this now. 
After AIS neutered it I didn't even look at it again but as I recall the the menu structure wasn't much different after neutering. Maybe they have been pushing out a new launcher since then.

AIS seems to be pushing this upgrade out kind of slow.  Although they began announcing it late last year it seems like if they wanted to they could just push out the neuter update to everyone on the same day/night like TrueVisions did (does).  

Maybe AIS don't want to upset its whole customer base on the same day; instead take many months to do it.  Or, maybe start slowly to see how negative the customer feedback is.  Like a lot of customers saying, "Take your box and stick it where the sun don't shine---cancel my premium TV subscription...or worst yet, just cancel my internet as I'm moving to another ISP."   

Ah, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

You are confusing Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) TV boxes with Android boxes.   Completely different animals.   For example the Aconatic 357T2 you mention above is a digital TV box for the new digital terrestrial broadcasting Thailand switched to a few years ago as it killed analog terrestrial broadcasting.   I've never seen Lotus sell Android boxes but they sell plenty of DVB TV boxes.  The DVB TV boxes pick up 36 or so Thai digital TV channels...no English language stuff.  The same kind of Thai TV channels as the free-to-air channels on AIS IPTV.

I have read with interest the posts on this topic.

I received 2 SMS from AIS announcing this firmware update (01/03/2018 and 08/04/2018)

As far as I am concerned, I have the old Playbox and I have not been updated. I received 2 SMS from AIS announcing this firmware update (01/03/2018 and 08/04/2018). But, so far, nothing. I still run Software Version V.4.10.3.15.

I still use Kodi, Play Sore, and a couple of other apps without any problem.

Reading the reports from those who got their firmware updated, the reason why mine was not updated could well be that, on my router (FiberHome HG180 v2), I disabled the TR069 feature in the TR069 Settings. If AIS can't get access to my router, they probably can't control my Playbox either. However, this is only speculation.

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are confusing Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) TV boxes with Android boxes.   Completely different animals.   For example the Aconatic 357T2 you mention above is a digital TV box for the new digital terrestrial broadcasting Thailand switched to a few years ago as it killed analog terrestrial broadcasting.   I've never seen Lotus sell Android boxes but they sell plenty of DVB TV boxes.  The DVB TV boxes pick up 36 or so Thai digital TV channels...no English language stuff.  The same kind of Thai TV channels as the free-to-air channels on AIS IPTV.

Oh, I see. Never had a set top box other than the playbox, so nothing to compare it with. Any idea of the best recommendations for the cheapest set top boxes out there? Not interested in high spec as I managed fine with the playbox, as long as there's English language functionality. 

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

AIS seems to be pushing this upgrade out kind of slow.  Although they began announcing it late last year it seems like if they wanted to they could just push out the neuter update to everyone on the same day/night like TrueVisions did (does).

Yes it seems random and haphazard, guess I'm unlucky to be part of an early cull. Even the text messages advising of the change have different wordings, mine caused no alarm as it mentioned nothing about third party apps being unsupported. However, I wasn't given a choice to accept the update like on an android phone, it was forced through. The lady at AIS said everyone had had the same update, and I told her this wasn't true at the present time, but she seemed to be quite clear that everyone would be getting it. 

Oh, I see. Never had a set top box other than the playbox, so nothing to compare it with. Any idea of the best recommendations for the cheapest set top boxes out there? Not interested in high spec as I managed fine with the playbox, as long as there's English language functionality. 
The absolute cheapest box might not be the way to go. The Rolls Royce android box is the NVIDIA Shield for $200 in the US or about 50% more than that here, but there also are a lot of generic Chinese boxes for about 2000 baht. I'm using a M8S+ box that I bought from Lazada about a year ago for 1800 baht. What I'd look for is something in that price range that has 32gb of storage, 802.11ac, and 4K video support. While I'm sure that the Shield is nice and I might get one someday, if all that you're going to use it for is streaming 720p and 1080p video then I'm skeptical that so much firepower is needed.

the new digital terrestrial broadcasting Thailand switched to a few years ago as it killed analog terrestrial broadcasting

Analogue is not dead yet they are still using it...but soon (ish) it will all be digital.

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:
14 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The absolute cheapest box might not be the way to go. The Rolls Royce android box is the NVIDIA Shield for $200 in the US or about 50% more than that here, but there also are a lot of generic Chinese boxes for about 2000 baht. I'm using a M8S+ box that I bought from Lazada about a year ago for 1800 baht. What I'd look for is something in that price range that has 32gb of storage, 802.11ac, and 4K video support. While I'm sure that the Shield is nice and I might get one someday, if all that you're going to use it for is streaming 720p and 1080p video then I'm skeptical that so much firepower is needed.

You definitely want something with a min 2GB RAM and at least S905 or S912 CPU.  Buy cheap, buy twice. These ultra cheap boxes are cheap for a reason, generally because they sport outdated tech (and are often poor quality to boot).  Lots of threads on here about Android boxes but in terms of recommendations look to those dating from last year at the earliest, what was great 4 years ago is likely old hat now.

I'd look at something like the Beelink GT1 or GT1 Ultimate.

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:
16 hours ago, SooKee said:
Depends on what channels you want, the AIS Play app line-up is not the same as Playbox.  No Fox Thai, FX, Fox Action Movies, Fox Movies, Sky News, or National Geo etc.  Last time I looked the number of missing channels was significant. 

I've been relying upon Kodi and the pirates for the farang channels, with satisfactory results.

It's OK up to a point, I use it still, but more as an absolute final resort these days.  I also prefer to have the dual language options on the channels with the Playbox and the Thai subs.  The constantly changing situation with the add-ons makes Kodi even more high maintenance than it used to be and the quality of the streams has plunged significantly in the last 6-12 months IMO with streams laughably indicated as being 1080 or HD being far from it, many of them wouldn't even look good on a phone.  But yes, it works, up to a point, depending on what you want.

It's OK up to a point, I use it still, but more as an absolute final resort these days.  I also prefer to have the dual language options on the channels with the Playbox and the Thai subs.  The constantly changing situation with the add-ons makes Kodi even more high maintenance than it used to be and the quality of the streams has plunged significantly in the last 6-12 months IMO with streams laughably indicated as being 1080 or HD being far from it, many of them wouldn't even look good on a phone.  But yes, it works, up to a point, depending on what you want.

I'd agree with that if only using totally free sources of content. In that case, maybe you'll find a good stream or maybe you won't. But there are several pirate IPTV providers that charge about $5 to $10 per month and give you about everything that's available on cable TV in the States with reasonable reliability with most of it at 720p resolution.   

9 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I'd agree with that if only using totally free sources of content. In that case, maybe you'll find a good stream or maybe you won't. But there are several pirate IPTV providers that charge about $5 to $10 per month and give you about everything that's available on cable TV in the States with reasonable reliability with most of it at 720p resolution.   

Yeah, if there's an IPTV package that appeals it's a viable option.  None of them suit my needs though, so I stick largely with Netflix, iFlix and the free, with AIS, HooQ which combined with the Playbox (mainly for Sky News, FX and Fox Thai) give me all I need.

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

You definitely want something with a min 2GB RAM and at least S905 or S912 CPU.  Buy cheap, buy twice. These ultra cheap boxes are cheap for a reason, generally because they sport outdated tech (and are often poor quality to boot).  Lots of threads on here about Android boxes but in terms of recommendations look to those dating from last year at the earliest, what was great 4 years ago is likely old hat now.

I'd look at something like the Beelink GT1 or GT1 Ultimate.

Thanks - I'm over in the UK shortly, wonder if I'd be able to get a better deal on something there. 

You'd 

On 13/04/2018 at 1:22 PM, lamyai3 said:

Thanks - I'm over in the UK shortly, wonder if I'd be able to get a better deal on something there. 

Just check the prices of what you might be considering here and there.  Doubt there'd be much by way of savings, if any at all, unless your'e looking at the Shield.  

One thing to be mindful of, if you need Netflix (or think you might need it in the future), these generic Android boxed are not Google Certified devices so you can't get the Netflix app from the App Store.  Sure you can side load it and faff about maintaining it yourself but even if you do that it won't be HD.  If that is a consideration for you you need to look at the Shield or the Mi Box 3 (international version - which is a very good box anyway), both of which are Google Certified and thus 'approved' by Netflix to install their app direct from the play store and stream in HD.

The other thing to be careful of.  Technically speaking a NBTC licence is required to import these boxes from outside Thailand.  You will find a few threads about it on here.  Not saying it would happen but there is the possibility that you could be stopped by customs and have your box seized for attempted illegal importation, if that happens, seizure of the box may not be the only problem.  Not worth it IMO unless it's a Shield (with the cost savings), better to order here COD from Lazada.

The latest SMS from AIS:

Get ready for the new version of "AIS PLAYBOX" with new experience of full TV streaming box (not supporting 3rd apps and browser). The update will start from 22 Apr onward. For usage guideline, visit http://m.ais.co.th/STBtutorial. More info call *915752

Does that mean any chance of a useful, or even usable, programme guide vs the POS they have currently? I guess not.

Sent using Tapatalk

I got the same SMS today also. The is the first such SMS I've rec'd since other folks started getting the SMS last year. I have the new Playbox.

Still no pattern I can figure out as to who and when a person gets the SMS....and when a person's Playbox actually gets neutered. Some have gotten the SMS multiple times but their box still hasn't got the update

Guess time will tell as to when a person turns on their box one day and sees it was just neutered.

I got the same SMS today also. The is the first such SMS I've rec'd since other folks started getting the SMS last year. I have the new Playbox.

Still no pattern I can figure out as to who and when a person gets the SMS....and when a person's Playbox actually gets neutered. Some have gotten the SMS multiple times but their box still hasn't got the update

Guess time will tell as to when a person turns on their box one day and sees it was just neutered.
And from what people have written who have had an update (assuming of course they've had THE update) I don't expect it'll be quite such the 'experience' that AIS are hyping it to be.

Just clicked on the tutorial link they provided in the SMS to see what that reveals. Not a lot it seems, just a new menu layout and certainly no changes to the one thing they really NEED (IMO) to improve upon, the user-unfriendly programme guide.

Sent using Tapatalk

The latest SMS from AIS:

Get ready for the new version of "AIS PLAYBOX" with new experience of full TV streaming box (not supporting 3rd apps and browser). The update will start from 22 Apr onward. For usage guideline, visit http://m.ais.co.th/STBtutorial. More info call *915752

Does that mean any chance of a useful, or even usable, programme guide vs the POS they have currently? I guess not.

Sent using Tapatalk

Also got the message earlier today except for the date which was the 26th.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

Almost feel like sending one back saying 'Get ready for return of AIS Playbox'. Problem is I still do actually find some of what they provide useful.

The other aspect of their box that sux IMO is the remote which is worse than most other remotes I've used, even other IR remotes. Theirs is particularly squidgy I find and very temperamental in terms of where you point it. So much so that I leave an air mouse plugged into it the whole time. Bit of a waste I guess when AIS finally cripples the box as the only thing it will be used for is L/R navigation. The supplied remote for me though is REALLY frustrating to use (probably more noticeable if you're used to using devices like the Shield, Mi Box and even Fire TV where the remotes are way, WAY better).

Posted using Tapatalk

I was the one who started this thread last year after I received the now infamous SMS.  I am not sure if I ever received a second SMS or not.  Did not receive the most recent one being discussed today. For what it is worth, my box has not been neutered so far.

I can see that the programming would be a pretty good deal for the right sort of person. However, the only thing I watch is Fox Nooze, SkyNews and now CNN has been added.  Occasionally, when I am bored, I will spin around the channels, and almost never find anything to watch.  I spend most of my time on Youtube which is no longer your channel for stupid 2 min. cat videos and stuff.  There is a lot of serious, great programming. I also enjoy taking courses on Udemy, occasionally TED Talks.  Other than that, I download teevee series (e.g., "Game of Thrones" most recently) to a flash drive.

It looks like the old Playbox just ain't doing it for me. If they neuter it, it will be a huge waste of money. Since I am at the "point of no return," I guess I might as well wait until the end of the contract to cancel. Cancel now and lose B4,000 deposit, but save B4,000 that would have paid through August. Same-same.

I agree that the remote is often unresponsive, so have to use an air mouse as well.  Funny thing, the air mouse works great, but will not switch PB on and off.  So, have to use three remotes: One for the teevee, the AIS one to turn the box on and off, and the air mouse to navigate around. It's pretty frustrating.  HopeI am around to see what the technology will be like in 10 years.

12 hours ago, rexall said:

I was the one who started this thread last year after I received the now infamous SMS.  I am not sure if I ever received a second SMS or not.  Did not receive the most recent one being discussed today. For what it is worth, my box has not been neutered so far.

With AIS sending out all of these SMSs about pending neutering since last year and then never doing it except for a few people just don't make good business and public relations sense to me.   

It kinda like someone who has a serious grudge against you, has told you face-to-face they are going to hurt you bad someday soon, but just don't get around to doing it which keeps you always looking in the shadows thinking is the day he's going to implement his threat.

Maybe they are still slow-leaking the neutering to better gauge the impact on their business.  I've given up in trying to figure out their neutering plan and schedule.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, Pib said:

Unless I missed something in this thread, it appears that no one has been able to speak to anyone at AIS who is familiar with the SMSs or knows anything about anything.  No way to run a railroad, for sure!

1 hour ago, rexall said:

Unless I missed something in this thread, it appears that no one has been able to speak to anyone at AIS who is familiar with the SMSs or knows anything about anything.  No way to run a railroad, for sure!

lamyai3 talked to them on 12 Apr 18. 

I expect management has given the CSRs a script to say/read each time a customer contacts them about the SMS.   A script that is basically a repeat of the SMS itself.   

Yeap, agree, poor way to run a railroad....mirrors the current railroad system in Thailand.

I will take my playbox and have my wife run over it in the car park. It upgraded and now I have lost all my TV. Netflix, NBA Channel and Modbro are gone. Only AIS crap now, and now way to change the menu to English.  F^%K them

I will take my playbox and have my wife run over it in the car park. It upgraded and now I have lost all my TV. Netflix, NBA Channel and Modbro are gone. Only AIS crap now, and now way to change the menu to English.  F^%K them
Well that sucks. You got the old or new box?

FWIW AIS have a redesigned Programme Guide page accessible through web browsers.  Better than the last one (a little) and some channels (like HBO HD) still 'Coming Soon' (and Fox Action Movies mis-labelled as Fox Movies, for which there are two entries) but at least it's now possible to take a look at what's coming up in a manner more usable than the god-awful Playbox version.  Clicking on channels now provides a drop down so it works quite well on smartphones if you save the link as a Home Screen icon.   It also distinguishes between which channels are part of AIS Play and which are Playbox only (quite a few!):

http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/programguide.html

Archived