Buy nonfunctioning TV monitor? (for an art project)

Donnythecat

Apologies for the strange query - I'm looking to buy a newish model of a nonfunctioning flat screen TV monitor (~25" screen) for cheap. I also need to buy an identical version of the nonfunctioning monitor that functions properly. It seems unlikely I'll find both at the same place, so i'll probably need to buy the working monitor from a proper store - hence why the nonfunctioning one needs to be a model that is still readily available on the market. Does anyone have any leads on a used electronics store in Phayao that might carry something like this? Thanks in advance!

If you can, open the back panel (remove screws) and have a look at the round/circular power capacitors on the main board inside - they look like half size AA batteries sticking up from the board.      Do you see a protruded, swollen X shape on the bottom of one or more?  If so, that's a problem. 

index.jpg.221afcc004ec3d8058e7e581a7fa6e65.jpg  < Example. swollen capacitors. X.

I've had this problem with flat screen TVs here 2 times and once I figured out the problem via Youtube, each instance was only 50 Baht to have a new capacitor soldered on at a Mom and Pop TV repair shop.   TV is now 10+ years old, still works fine, no problems other than that^.

Thanks for your responses 55Jay and Crossy.

I'm putting together an art work and I want the dead monitor to use as a picture frame basically, so really I just need the casing/housing of the monitor which I will mount a drawing in - so no problem if it's been gutted for parts. I'm pairing this 'picture frame monitor' with a functioning monitor that will be playing a video.  They're meant to be displayed side by side and must be identical monitors, aside from the working/non-working aspect. 

Crossy, do you know of a mom and pop TV repair store in Phayao I could go check out? 

Now I understand, artists are weird creatures, odder even than us left-handed engineers :smile:

Sadly we're not in the CR area so I can't help with a local outfit, let's see if anyone else has any ideas.

I've adjusted the thread title slightly so that others not interested in technology may be able to assist.

OK, come out of town on route 1211, the old Chiang Mai road, and when you see the 19km post on your right, you'll see the recycle yard on your left a little further down just past the turn off to the local government offices on the hill.

There's a gravel yard/building supplies on the right.

Marked 2 spots for electronics recycle/repair shops i know of on following screenshot of the map.

First one in the center almost directly opposite the department store, little closer to busstation (just some 50 meters from it), the other one maybe half klick off superhighway on 1202 (= direction PaDet), not sure if it's on corner soi 20 exactly but it's sure at a corner and left side if outbound ...

59eff70a4fdaa_phayaoelectrorepair.JPG.0e81ed5933d032de6eaad0537df62d3b.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 4:11 PM, sceadugenga said:

OK, come out of town on route 1211, the old Chiang Mai road, and when you see the 19km post on your right, you'll see the recycle yard on your left a little further down just past the turn off to the local government offices on the hill.

There's a gravel yard/building supplies on the right.

Thanks so much for this! Will definitely check it out soon.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:31 AM, jollyhangmon said:

Marked 2 spots for electronics recycle/repair shops i know of on following screenshot of the map.

First one in the center almost directly opposite the department store, little closer to busstation (just some 50 meters from it), the other one maybe half klick off superhighway on 1202 (= direction PaDet), not sure if it's on corner soi 20 exactly but it's sure at a corner and left side if outbound ...

59eff70a4fdaa_phayaoelectrorepair.JPG.0e81ed5933d032de6eaad0537df62d3b.JPG

Thanks Jollyhangmon, the map is super helpful! I will definitely scope out these two places in the coming weeks. Much appreciated!