5 Tourist Visas in the passport

Hi.

I will soon be going to do a visa run. Either to Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang. I already have five tourist visas in my passport. In 2016, I did four visa run (back to back). The first in Vientiane and the three others in Savannakhet. In 2017, I did two land border crossing (not allowed anymore). Then I was out of the country for five months and since I am back, I have one visa on arrival (30days) and one tourist visa from Penang. So what are my chances for the next visa run ? Will they take in consideration the dates these visa were issued or they will just see my busy passport and say; that is too much ?

Thank you in advance for your time.

I had about 8 SE back to back from different embassies ranging from Penang to HongKong, Vietnam etc. Admittedly, I felt very uncomfortable past #5, so I did what was advised and obtain a TE visa. Expensive yes, but if you have the funds I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Based on reports and your visa-history, Penang is the most likely to require "extra payments" to an agent (above the normal agent-fee), and there is a good chance of getting a "red stamp."   Savanakhet is the least likely to give you a red-stamp, but you must meet every qualification to the letter.  Vientiane will give you a new Tourist Visa without trouble, but may red-stamp the visa they issue, if they count the Savanakhet-visas (also Laos).  A "red stamp" on your next Tourist Visa means that you will need get a new passport before you will be able to receive additional Tourist Visas at some consulates in the area.

As to the TE suggestions (not what the OP asked) - by my math, it works out to about double the cost per-year over new tourist-visa costs and the occasional new passport or the ED visa route (tuition + extension-fees + no-hassle extension tea-money).  The upside of the TE, is not dealing with the hassles of the Tourist or ED solutions. The primary downside, is you need to make that double-cost payment in 5, 10, or more year increments - all up front. 

If you have 10M Baht to invest, an investment-based extension is another possibility, which allows you to keep your money/investment, if you decide to move elsewhere in the future.  It is renewable, based on the original deposit/investment, in perpetuity - no 5, 10, etc limit - so you don't have an "end date" hanging over your head, in case you do decide to stay longer.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

Getting a new one should be ok, especially in Vientiane.
But expect some problems when crossing the border.
If i'd be you, i'd have 20 000 THB in cash in my pocket, and also a story to tell explaining how you finance your stay.
They are after people working illegally in Thailand, so, as long as you can show money and have a credible story to tell, you should be ok.

Wearing decent clothes, and looking clean could help a bit too.

Let us know how it went

I would suggest Yangon, Savannakhet, HCMC/Hanoi or Hong Kong as good places for your next tourist visa. There should be no problem, including red stamp, at any of those locations.

The easiest (no onward flight or hotel reservation) would be Vientiane, but a red stamp there is very possible, which will be a problem if you want to apply for more tourist visas later in your current passport. (Actually Hong Kong is even better, but more expensive to travel to and stay.)

Edited by BritTim

Thank you very much everyone for answers.

Just for correction, the back to back visa run in 2016 was two in Vientiane and two in Savannakhet.

Jack Thompson, you mentioned "extra payments" to an agent in Penang. I assume that case would be if I use agent at all ? I normally go on my own, like the previous run in Penang.

Anyways, I shall most likely go to Vientiane in one month.

2 hours ago, WTProduction said:

Jack Thompson, you mentioned "extra payments" to an agent in Penang. I assume that case would be if I use agent at all ? I normally go on my own, like the previous run in Penang.

Anyways, I shall most likely go to Vientiane in one month.

Some have reported that having many previous and/or recent Thai Visas has resulted in some agents refusing, and others agreeing to do it for an extra US $100 or so.  Those going directly to the consulate should be prepared to answer questions and show a healthy bank-balance, to help explain how they can afford frequent and/or long-ish stay(s) in Thailand sans-work.

None of this applies to Vientiane, though.  At that location, "no red stamp yet" and you are generally good to go. 

I got a SETV from Penang earlier this year, I already have several tourist visa's including a previous SETV from Penang, a METV, and an old double entry tourist visa and triple entry tourist visa from before they were abolished.

I did not use an agent. I took proof of my bank accounts (UK and Thai) which both have healthy bank balances as well as proof of where my income is from (investment income from outside Thailand) but I was not asked for any of this.

All that was required was a completed visa application form, 2 passport photos, the visa fee, my passport and a signed copy, and proof of onward travel within 60 days which I provided in the form of an airline e-ticket.

No extra fee's were required or questions were asked.

Edited by jay1980
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 8:23 PM, 4evermaat said:

You can also try Kota Bharu Thai Embassy. I've heard people having 4+ consequive SETVs still able to get one.

Not sure if you can go by yourself or if it is strictly via an agent (if you have too many TVs).

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Kota Bharu will ask for bank statements. Do you know how the minimum balance required?

3 hours ago, torrow said:

Kota Bharu will ask for bank statements. Do you know how the minimum balance required?

20K+ Baht equivalent in a bank-account book or statement.

Not to be confused with the 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks, on-your-person, which the border-crossing IO may ask to see to allow you to enter with the visa.

• Like 1

Don’t forget to dress up nicely for the airport immigration. Maybe stay in that other country for a couple of weeks or more if you can? I’m sure there’s a lot to see, and will probably give you a better tourist profile than a quick out and in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few back-to-back SETVs as well and am flying into Vientiane to apply for another one (first time in Laos). I plan to return by bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani and fly domestically to Bangkok as Immigration is less strict at a land border crossing than an airport...or so I've thought. Am I correct in thinking this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a1falang said:

I have a few back-to-back SETVs as well and am flying into Vientiane to apply for another one (first time in Laos). I plan to return by bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani and fly domestically to Bangkok as Immigration is less strict at a land border crossing than an airport...or so I've thought. Am I correct in thinking this?

Your plans are sound. Anyway, flight times from Vientiane to Bangkok do not mesh well with the time you get your passport back with visa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came back yesterday from my visa run. I went to Vientiane and it went very smoothly. No questions asked, no red stamp. It was very quiet at the embassy that day (Tuesday). Not like what I use to see there. I went there cycling from Udon Thani. I took secondary roads all the way. Passing through small villages and rice fields. Was great. The worst part was from the bridge to Vientiane down town. Lots of traffic and not a nice road. I took a different road going back, from Thai consulate to the bridge. Its was more rural and pleasant. So overall it was a success.

I have one question about visa quota. Does the quota of visa reset in a new calender year ? I had four back to back tourist visa in 2016, now two in 2017. Are we starting fresh in 2018 ?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, WTProduction said:

I have one question about visa quota. Does the quota of visa reset in a new calender year ? I had four back to back tourist visa in 2016, now two in 2017. Are we starting fresh in 2018 ?

The consulates make-up these rules, so there is no way to tell what they will "count" or not.  If only these things were published.

I got a red-stamp at Vientiane with only 3 previous from them - and those 3 were from over a year prior (I had been out of Thailand for 7 months straight, between my old Tourist-Visas and the one I applied-for). 

Later, in another passport, I got a red-stamp at Phnom Penh with only 3 total Tourist-Visas in that passport - and only one of those having been from Phnom Penh. 

Given 2 recent reports of "no red stamp" with a significant count of Vientiane TR-Visas in the passport, maybe they are lightening-up - or maybe counting a different way - who knows?

On 23/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, JackThompson said:

The consulates make-up these rules, so there is no way to tell what they will "count" or not.  If only these things were published.

I got a red-stamp at Vientiane with only 3 previous from them - and those 3 were from over a year prior (I had been out of Thailand for 7 months straight, between my old Tourist-Visas and the one I applied-for). 

Later, in another passport, I got a red-stamp at Phnom Penh with only 3 total Tourist-Visas in that passport - and only one of those having been from Phnom Penh. 

Given 2 recent reports of "no red stamp" with a significant count of Vientiane TR-Visas in the passport, maybe they are lightening-up - or maybe counting a different way - who knows?

I see.

Thank you for the info.