Public Discouraged From Drinking But Booze Won’t Be Banned

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol banned already in Sukhumvit area. As expected they will change plan last minute and don’t be surprised if the ban continues over the weekend

I just walked from Asok to Phrom Phong and most of the restaurants and bars along Sukhumvit were open and serving alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/24/2017 at 2:21 PM, DM07 said:

I hope that you are right!

By now, I am willing to pay someone, to wear a Hawaii- shirt!

I always thought, black was a cool color, but ...maaaaan!

My fear is though, that this "I am sadder than you"- competition will go on for a few more days!

No one wants to be the first to take garlands down... 

Yes, there seems to be a lot of sadder-than-thou behaviour going on.

Plus, plenty of Thai women have invested heavily in black clothing as a fashion statement as well as a respect garment. The black choker, for example, has seen rather a surge in popularity.

I think this black episode will take some time to go away, certainly longer than the yellow flowers being trucked in from all over the place.

Well I have just been banned from drinking for two weeks, so I don't care. A rather nice nurse at the local hospital diabetes clinic ticked me off royally for being rather lazy in taking my medications. She actually wagged her finger at me whilst telling me I "was a very naughty boy" - no alcohol for two weeks until they see me again.

Mind you she then took my blood pressure. It was a bit high. I explained about "white coat hypertension syndrome", she laughed so much she put her head on my shoulder, which immediately boosted my blood pressure by several points!

So now I can sip iced soda water whilst wishing I was 20 years younger.

Enjoy your wine....

Edited by JAG

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Well I have just been banned from drinking for two weeks, so I don't care. A rather nice nurse at the local hospital diabetes clinic ticked me off royally for being rather lazy in taking my medications. She actually wagged her finger at me whilst telling me I "was a very naughty boy" - no alcohol for two weeks until they see me again.

Mind you she then took my blood pressure. It was a bit high. I explained about "white coat hypertension syndrome", she laughed so much she put her head on my shoulder, which immediately boosted my blood pressure by several points!

Enjoy your wine....

Any spirit and a sugar free drink like coke light will make zero difference to your blood glucose levels it you're a non insulin using 'type 2' diabetic.

If anyone tells you something different they're talking absolute rubbish.

In fact alcohol alone (without carbs - ie beer) will reduce blood glucose levels which is why those using insulin need to watch what they drink because it can go too low.

Edited by ukrules

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Enjoy your wine....

Brilliant . . . can I come and take your check-up for you? What is it about nurses in uniform? . . . better than bra & nicks, somehow! :passifier:

37 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Brilliant . . . can I come and take your check-:partytime2:or you? What is it about nurses in uniform? . . . better than bra & nicks, somehow! :passifier:

Lucky you never stayed overnight  Usually i get all the unfriendly nurses

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are Truevisions showing the World series on Fox Sports or is every channel showing the funeral?

I'd rather watch The Funeral than watch Baseball (or Rounders as we call it....)

Edited by millwall_fan

Around my part of Hua Hin nearly everything is closed.

There are Thai people wondering where they can get some food from.

One of the local 7/11 staff complained that she couldn't find any food after being booted out at around 2pm as all the normal places that sell the kind of food Thais like to take home in those little bags are closed today.

Maybe she can pop home, take some meat out of the fridge, fire up the stove and cook something...oh wait, no fridge, no cooker and no kitchen - no food for you !

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Around my part of Hua Hin nearly everything is closed.

There are Thai people wondering where they can get some food from.

One of the local 7/11 staff complained that she couldn't find any food after being booted out at around 2pm as all the normal places that sell the kind of food Thais like to take home in those little bags are closed today.

Maybe she can pop home, take some meat out of the fridge, fire up the stove and cook something...oh wait, no fridge, no cooker and no kitchen - no food for you !

That must have been quite surprising for the employee

Being in a food shop that never closes , and then closes for one afternoon

And other shops have also closed for the same reason her shop closed

And now she cannot find anything to eat

She could never have envisaged that..................

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That must have been quite surprising for the employee

Being in a food shop that never closes , and then closes for one afternoon

And other shops have also closed for the same reason her shop closed

And now she cannot find anything to eat

She could never have envisaged that..................

They're not too clever, remember - she works in 7/11.

I'm sure she will find some noodles or something somewhere but it's going to involve a baht bus trip. All the local somtam, pappaya salad / whatever they eat places are closed around this part today.

I believe they're closed because the owners have all gone to the temple.

Edited by ukrules

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, GarryP said:

I know what a village headman is. I am questioning his his authority to impose a ban on something that the government has not even banned. Now had the government issued an order banning the sale  of alcohol, I would not question a headman enforcing that ban. But introduce bans himself ? On what authority? 

I know that in many villages the headman comes from a large family (I hesitate to use the word "leading" because it is often the most corrupt) and may enlist his relatives or other sycophants to try to enforce his orders.  There are both popular and very unpopular village heads, the latter in their position due to family size, corruption or other connections.  

Given your post number, I'm surprised you don't seem to realise how it works in LOS.

He can introduce a ban, because he can.

Of course, anyone disagreeing could always appeal to the police, the local government, the national government, the courts, but good luck with that.

It's one of the things that makes LOS different from wherever we came from, and I assume most of us are here precisely because it's NOT like where we came from.

Night life "area" in Jomptien? Must have changed since I was last there, when there were just a few bar beers spread along Beach Rd.

Soi 7And then you have about 20 beer bars in the new complex opposite soi 7 at the markets.

What decade where you there [emoji3]

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As a Dodger fan I've waited nearly 30 years for this!

How did you get on? Quick check found a couple of sports channels still functioning in hotel I'm staying at.

The bit of the ceremony where they put the coffin into the crematorium was very interesting from a cultural point of view. Unfortunately, there is not a single channel with English language of the cremation. Nuff said.

6 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Soi 7And then you have about 20 beer bars in the new complex opposite soi 7 at the markets.

What decade where you there emoji3.png

Used to go a fair bit last century, and the last time which was in this decade I only went to the immigration office.

As it became more built up the attraction lessened, as it wasn't much different to Pattaya, except without much in the way of night life or malls.

On 2017-10-23 at 7:22 AM, darksidedog said:

No alchohol ban? That's odd. I was in Makro this morning and they have a sign out saying no alchohol sales on the 26th. I can see confusion reigning here, as normal.

Absolutely no confusion. The only one confused seems to be you. There is no ban on selling alcohol, as they say. Due to the ceremony the 26th and the days around, the public is asked to refrain from drinking alcohol, and the shops are asked to not sell any alcohol.

Because of the importance of showing respect to the late King, it will be many chains and shops, as well as private drinkers that will make merit and obey the request from the authorities.

Used to go a fair bit last century, and the last time which was in this decade I only went to the immigration office.

As it became more built up the attraction lessened, as it wasn't much different to Pattaya, except without much in the way of night life or malls.

Yeah that's the attraction for me. Place is nearly normal and nothing like Pattaya how I see it but I can be in crazy town 15 mins on the Baht bus although lately the dozens of Chinese buses have created traffic chaos and choking fumes

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Absolutely no confusion. The only one confused seems to be you. There is no ban on selling alcohol, as they say. Due to the ceremony the 26th and the days around, the public is asked to refrain from drinking alcohol, and the shops are asked to not sell any alcohol.

Because of the importance of showing respect to the late King, it will be many chains and shops, as well as private drinkers that will make merit and obey the request from the authorities.

Correct. There is apparently no official ban, which means it's up to individual decisions as to whether sell or not. Some companies/ shops won't, while others will.

However, I'd expect every barbeer in Chiang Mai to be closed tonight.

Not entirely on topic apart from its eerily quiet in the countryside by us, very little traffic

well i spoke too soon the Mrs is busy now cutting the lawn !!

I am sure she will enjoy her beer or 2 on the patio later.:coffee1: