Panyaden School interview -advice

Thailand

Some Chinese friends and their child will be interviewed at Panyaden school for a place in the New Year.

They are concerned about the format of the interview which I believe will be in English and they asked if anyone could give them advice on what to expect. Not looking to cheat the system simply concerned about getting the best education opportunity for their son.

Any advice/input gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Panyaden flooded badly a few weeks ago, plans to move to a new location while repairing/rebuilding and is trying to raise donations for the work, USD 900,000.  Said they lost a substantial amount of their teaching materials.  Their buildings were built with dirt so the flood impact could be larger than for brick and concrete buildings, could be.

So for the interview, the parents should prepare some serious questions for the school to answer and demand precise answers since the school has some big issues to deal with.  No matter what they say, it is most likely a large set back and a big amount of money to get back to where they were, wherever that was.  Since they are looking for donations, there may be a question of whether or not the money is/will be available.

Do not know what they should expect in the interview, my information is too many years ago.

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Some Chinese friends and their child will be interviewed at Panyaden school for a place in the New Year.

I wouldn't be worried about a place for their son. Due to the flooding some parents already started to look for alternatives for their children in other schools. I guess there will be plenty of space.

But first, the school need to be worried about a place for the school. I don't know how they will get parents to pay the significant registration fees in the current state of things.

To your question - as Panyaden engages in bilingual teaching in both English and Thai, all children are supposed, at some point, to reach a good control of both languages. There are assessments to check languages' levels as well as social / behavioral aspects. Naturally, the younger the child is, the  lower is the expected level and they do have extra tutoring when a child needs help in either language. 

Edited by XGM

11 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Agreed, but the salaries at the non profits are even higher.  

What are the non profit schools in CM?  Can you name the ones in the usual group discussed, not obscure ones that are little known?  Thanks.

47 minutes ago, cmsally said:

More to the point , why did the school not have insurance against flooding ?

Dig around a bit and I think you will find that they had insurance.  The problem appears that the insurance companies only sell low limits(like auto liability limits) and the coverage was small relative to the damages.

1 minute ago, Butterfly47 said:

Believe the funding appeal is for USD350K. Insurance coverage not enough for rebuilding. Info. found on the school blog.

It started at USD 900,000 but was changed, again if you look at the details of comments of donors, you will see a recommendation that the 900 was too much.  Yesterday the blog said 900.

Since they started at 900 and cut by almost 2/3 I have to wonder how realistic any of their data is, or perhaps their greed.

On the other hand, a funding appeal for almost $1m directed towards a relatively small group of parents seems an almost impossible goal and so maybe they found some support elsewhere so as not to put people off at the start.  I hear that the site was almost wiped out (yes, that's hearsay) so $350k isn't going to go that far.

Your comment about greed is a bit harsh, Dante.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Your comment about greed is a bit harsh, Dante.

Do you know the people or the facts to support that or are you just making assumptions or spouting hearsay?  

Most people who saw the photos and read the reports would not suggest that the site was almost wiped out, not even close.  

From the photos I saw, it would seem most damage is superficial. The damage is nothing like the "riverside" schools have had to endure when Chiang Mai floods.

When my daughter was at Regina there was a huge flood and the watermarks on the walls were obvious for a long time afterwards. No contributions asked for  :whistling:

Just looking at the "opportunities to contribute" list. Looks like a complete refurbishment of everything.

I have suggested they widen their search for a suitable school for their child but to go ahead with the interview armed with the questions that have arisen here and to see what is on offer. A few deals I would think?

Thanks to those who actually replied to the original question.

2 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Quite a number of Chinese students there and if the parents can afford it I think it is better to send their kids to an accredited international school. Even more so if they might return to China later.

Will pass it on. Just looked at the fees, scary, glad my kids were sorted many many moons ago!

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Just looked at the fees, scary,

I didn't see you mentioned the kid's age. Panyaden only goes up to year 7 I believe. So upon graduation parents will need to pay registration fees elsewhere anyway.

Edited by XGM