BBC iPlayer

madmitch

19 hours ago, sumrit said:

Go into chrome settings, clear browsing data and delete your browsing history, cookies and cache then try again. When you try to connect with i-player without using a VPN the BBC leaves some sort of footprint (in the cache, a cookie?). Going to chrome settings and deleting them cures the problem.

I've found I have to do this after going to a BBC web page and trying to play some of the videos there without using a VPN. Most video clips are OK but if I get a 'not available in your area' message I have to go to settings and delete the above before I can use i-player, etc, again.

Thanks Sumrit and good to know yours is still working. I cannot get mine to work however since last week even when clearing cache as you describe? I even set up a new person profile on Chrome and added Browsec and Location Guard again and still no luck. Since last week I get the message "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues."

I am using latest 64bit Chrome browser on Win10 64 latest ver. I am also using the free version of Browsec addon without a Browsec account set to UK and Location Guard set to UK address also. I suppose you are using the same?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Thanks Sumrit and good to know yours is still working. I cannot get mine to work however since last week even when clearing cache as you describe? I even set up a new person profile on Chrome and added Browsec and Location Guard again and still no luck. Since last week I get the message "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues."

I am using latest 64bit Chrome browser on Win10 64 latest ver. I am also using the free version of Browsec addon without a Browsec account set to UK and Location Guard set to UK address also. I suppose you are using the same?

There are plenty of reports on the web that thing regarding BBC Iplayer have changed since last week.

5 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Sorry that didn't cure your problems. Unfortunately I had to rush back to the UK last week and won't be back in Thailand for another two weeks. It worked fine when I left but won't be able to see if my 'set up' has now been restricted until I get back.

OK. Obviously the BBC are using a different way to monitor how we access i-player now.

As I said in the my post I am in the UK at the moment so I can watch via i-player without any problems. My location guard is still fixed at a fake UK location so that isn't monitored in any way. But when I now turn on my Browsec VPN (still set to the UK location)  I get a message on i-player  saying 'this content isn't available in your location'. Turn thew VPN off  and normal service is resumed. I've done the normal delete cache etc that I normally do without success.

As I say I'm sitting in the UK but using a VPN set to the UK but still can't access i-player so the BBC must be using a different method (not cookies, etc) to determine/monitor that a VPN is being used.

4 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

working OK on AIS fibre, Google Chrome and the free HOLA VPN addon, both for live feed and catch up.

Yes, thanks for that. So I've gone back to Hola as its free. Disabled Browsec and Location guard and as you say it works. I'm on True. I also tried another VPN and it works still.

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

so the BBC must be using a different method (not cookies, etc) to determine/monitor that a VPN is being used.

Yes, tried a couple of other VPNs without Browsec or Location Guard and it seems to work. I previously thought the VPNs were getting blocked, but Hola still works as mentioned above. I also use Windscribe and that works.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Got any links please?

The sources I have are all on closed fb groups, so can't link to them, but the point is that where you previously could use a vpn that option now seems off the table now. Even the VPN's that had a dedicated Iplayer server are now blocked.

Have a look here, which may explain something.

https://www.reviewsfire.com/tech/bbc-iplayer-detecting-vpn-how-to-fix/

iPlayer works fine here , I am watching the WC  on BBC and ITV , and using NORDVPN.  They have several hundred UK servers so if one doesn't work , I just switch over to another one.  

Both download and live streams. 

5 hours ago, balo said:

using NORDVPN

Yes, I understand that to be a more reliable VPN for  BBC. Was really looking for a free alternative, so far found Windscribe works for 10GB of data more than enough for me. Hola doesn't work after one day of use, so dumped that.

I'll stick with paid IPTV services, to avoid the cat and mouse BBC and VPN issues of late.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:38 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Watching BBC and ITV on True, Google Chrome and CyberGhost ( free version) , no problems so far ......... fingers crossed !!

Are you referring to the Chrome addon of CyberGhost? I've tried it on a Win10 64 system and it doesn't work. The server list doesn't populate and it cannot switch on. A common error found by others as well listed in the Chrome addon comments as of late?

Are you referring to the Chrome addon of CyberGhost? I've tried it on a Win10 64 system and it doesn't work. The server list doesn't populate and it cannot switch on. A common error found by others as well listed in the Chrome addon comments as of late?

No, downloaded the CyberGhost program, open it and choose UK from the drop down list, using the free version you usually have to wait for a minute or so.
Open Chrome and watch iPlayer , ITV Hub or another UK based site I use , all without issue.

Also on Win 10 Home ( latest updated edition) and 64 bit.

Was going to buy CG but as iPlayer tends to weed out VPN’s and block them after a while have left it as free version .

Works fine for me, watched ENG - PAN yesterday through laptop to tv , not a problem.

23 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Ok thanks. Yes, tried the Win10 install, seems to work fine free and no data limits.

No luck with the Android version for my TV box tho.

Tried CyberGhost VPN for iPhone and iPad and it works but if you want to use a specific country ( uk in my case) then you have to buy the premium version at £10 a month or £40 a year .

Archived