BBC iPlayer

madmitch

4 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Have you tried a clean install of Kodi and still get the error? Should be working.. works here ok.

It is a new installation, I only bought the box when back in the UK in August. I couldn't get anything to work properly with the pre loaded installation so I wiped it out and re installed it. All the normal addons are working fine but when I installed BBC and ITV players neither worked. 

I then installed Kodi on my laptop as a check between android and windows and get the same error message in the log.

On the windows log there is also an error message regarding Python but not sure if they are related. If so then I will just live with the problem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2017 at 9:54 AM, sumrit said:

I watch via Chrome without a problem. You need to download the free Browsec VPN and Location Guard apps available in Chrome's Extensions.

Just set the location guard to a permanent location that's within the UK.

I have just tried that and would agree that works to a certain extent. The downside is that you cannot download from the Iplayer as the download facility is an internet explorer application and doesn't work under chrome.

It would appear that the location mask is only in respect of chrome urls and google itself still looks at your real location. This means you cannot get the new version of the Iplayer from the Play Store.

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have just tried that and would agree that works to a certain extent. The downside is that you cannot download from the Iplayer as the download facility is an internet explorer application and doesn't work under chrome.

It would appear that the location mask is only in respect of chrome urls and google itself still looks at your real location. This means you cannot get the new version of the Iplayer from the Play Store.

Yes, sorry I forgot you can't download in Chrome. With catch up from the different sites I use downloading isn't such a problem but I've reverted to  TV Chaos and You Tube (if it's on there) for what I do want to save

On 10/29/2017 at 2:44 PM, sandyf said:

I can't get either of those to work, just get a failed to play message.

I watch BBC and ITV with Covenant, a bit tedious but there is no 30 day timeframe.

Have you downloaded the noobs and nerds repo. If not google how to do it. After you have the repo, install BBC iPlayer.

In the BBC iPlayer go to settings and activate use proxy, then use justproxy.co.uk. This will work for the iPlayer but not live TV. Good Luck.

Oh dear , for the first time in all the years I have subscribed to Astrill, I can not access BBC anymore.  All the other sites are working , ITV , C4 etc. It's only BBC iPlayer. I have already reported it to Astrill support so just waiting what will happen next . 

But I suspect that BBC have added some sort of detection software , or maybe the VPN servers being used are on a BBC black list and need to get changed. 

2 days ago everything was fine. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Oh dear , for the first time in all the years I have subscribed to Astrill, I can not access BBC anymore.  All the other sites are working , ITV , C4 etc. It's only BBC iPlayer. I have already reported it to Astrill support so just waiting what will happen next . 

But I suspect that BBC have added some sort of detection software , or maybe the VPN servers being used are on a BBC black list and need to get changed. 

As well as looking at your IP address the BBC  have regularly been requesting your location. Maybe they're doing that on a more permanent basis. Try installing a location guard/blocker, set to a UK location, and see if that cures the problem. If you use chrome there's a free one available in their extensions.

16 hours ago, sumrit said:

Yes, sorry I forgot you can't download in Chrome. With catch up from the different sites I use downloading isn't such a problem but I've reverted to  TV Chaos and You Tube (if it's on there) for what I do want to save

It is not so much a question of saving, I have a rubbish internet and download a fair bit to cover really bad periods. As I said Covenant works fairly well and has a download facility, just a bit tedious, and I wouldn't want to put Kodi on my phone. Main reason I keep looking at the BBC Iplayer problem, the ITV Hub works ok on my phone.

At the moment BBC Iplayer on my phone says I need to update but Play Store will not allow the update.

10 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Have you downloaded the noobs and nerds repo. If not google how to do it. After you have the repo, install BBC iPlayer.

In the BBC iPlayer go to settings and activate use proxy, then use justproxy.co.uk. This will work for the iPlayer but not live TV. Good Luck.

Yes it is the NAN versions that are installed. The problem is not geolocation related, if the VPN is not on you get a different error message in the log.

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

As well as looking at your IP address the BBC  have regularly been requesting your location. Maybe they're doing that on a more permanent basis. Try installing a location guard/blocker, set to a UK location, and see if that cures the problem. If you use chrome there's a free one available in their extensions.

I found that worked on my laptop but not on my android box. Could be the app I chose not is very good, any recommendations.

On my box I have a separate gmail with location switched off, all location features on the box disabled, UK time set, a VPN and a location guard but BBC and Play Store still think I am outside the UK.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes it is the NAN versions that are installed. The problem is not geolocation related, if the VPN is not on you get a different error message in the log.

Turn off your VPN and use the proxy settings in the BBC iplayer configuration.

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:

Turn off your VPN and use the proxy settings in the BBC iplayer configuration.

I will say it again, "The problem is not geolocation related."  Been there already with proxies.

This was someones response to the same error message in the log, but he is talking another language as far as I am concerned.

"Nevermind I fixed it. If you're having this issue yourself, make sure you installed pycryptodome and pycryptodomex using pip2 instead of pip. Kodi uses python2 instead of python3 so you need to make sure the module is installed for the right version of python."

9 hours ago, sumrit said:

Try installing a location guard/blocker, set to a UK location, and see if that cures the problem

Getting desperate here now.

Which one do you recommend ?

Astrill has 

12 hours ago, balo said:

Same here. Lost it three times in the past couple of weeks, hence the original post, but on the first two occasions it's been back after a couple of days. Let's hope it's the same again but it does seem like the BBC are getting pretty tough.

I generally use Safari but perhaps I'll try Chrome or Firefox purely for iPlayer and try a location guard.

33 minutes ago, balo said:

I use chrome with windows 10 on a laptop so I use the  Browsec VPN and the Location Guard, both available as free extensions in the chrome web store. Browsec with a UK IP address is only available free for Chrome in windows, you have to pay for it in Android. There are several location guard/blocker apps available in play store but I haven't tried any so I can't recommend any. If I want to watch any of the UK Terrestrial channels on my Tab/Phone it's usually a 'one off and recent program, so I just use Teatime TV or MuchoTV 

I have found that if I forget to turn browsec on before selecting BBC i-player I get the 'blocked' message and that remains every time I select it, even after rebooting my PC. To use BBC i-player again I must first clear all browsing data (browsing history, download history and cached images and files) within Chrome settings.

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

3 hours ago, balo said:

I use chrome with windows 10 on a laptop so I use the  Browsec VPN and the Location Guard, both available as free extensions in the chrome web store

Interesting , did you check if it works for the last 48 hours ?  

Because I have now tried 2 of the big VPN providers and they both admit BBC did something to block their servers . 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Interesting , did you check if it works for the last 48 hours ?  

Because I have now tried 2 of the big VPN providers and they both admit BBC did something to block their servers . 

Are you also using a location guard as well as the VPN?

Yes, I checked it immediately after writing my post. That's how I came to remember that if I selected the BBC i-player page before turning the browsec VPN  on I would get the 'blocked' message. As I said then, if that occurs (when using chrome) you must then clear the browsing data first to enable access to BBC i-player again.

If you get the blocked message it means the BBC  have also downloaded something within your browsing data and that remains accessible to them to say you're outside the UK. You must clear that first.

Providing I switch the Browsec VPN  on before selecting the i-player I always get immediate access. 

My location Guard is permanently turned on to a fixed London location.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Have you tried installing Kodi on another device. I've just installed it on a new device with nothing else on, installed Kodi 17.5, NAN repo and the BBCiPlayer just works fine. 

I 100% agree with you, and told people to use the in built proxy that BBC iPlayer has.

But there seems to some obsession with VPNs. Maybe they do't know how to configure BBC iPlayer.

I have been with "Trust Zone" for about 3 years, they have a lot of  sites (IP numbers world wide) and  5 UK ones with one  just dedicated to the BBC, because the BBC now is quite active in shutting down their broadcast to any IP they think is a VNP so Trust zone move this one IP number regularly. (or whatever they do) had no problems...watch the BBC a lot about $us33 a year...often run 50% off specials.

Has a free trial --give so many Gig to try out.

4 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Have you tried installing Kodi on another device. I've just installed it on a new device with nothing else on, installed Kodi 17.5, NAN repo and the BBCiPlayer just works fine. 

I have Kodi 17.5 on my android box and my laptop and have both BBC and ITV player on both devices. I get the same error message from both addons on both devices.

ERROR: Control 50 in window 10025 has been asked to focus, but it can't.

I also got the same error message on some other TV addons that I tried but I just uninstalled them.  Forgotten now but fairly sure a couple of those were not subject to geographic lock.

I can get all the UK TV that I want through Covenant so its no big deal, just that it is not particularly easy for my wife, she really misses Expat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, sumrit said:

I use chrome with windows 10 on a laptop so I use the  Browsec VPN and the Location Guard, both available as free extensions in the chrome web store.

This used to work for me until earlier this week? Anyone else noticed this or got a solution please?

http://www.teatimetv.to/

https://www.firstonetv.net/Live/United-Kingdom

https://easyview.eu/

All work perfect for me for a very long time, without a VPN  [Use True Fibre]  Guess use https://easyview.eu/ most as this has more channels I watch..  now a day use Kodi only for Live F 1 Races.

PS.  TV guide is also fine but in UK times    https://www.tvguide.co.uk/?gw=1317

On 6/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

This used to work for me until earlier this week? Anyone else noticed this or got a solution please?

Go into chrome settings, clear browsing data and delete your browsing history, cookies and cache then try again. When you try to connect with i-player without using a VPN the BBC leaves some sort of footprint (in the cache, a cookie?). Going to chrome settings and deleting them cures the problem.

I've found I have to do this after going to a BBC web page and trying to play some of the videos there without using a VPN. Most video clips are OK but if I get a 'not available in your area' message I have to go to settings and delete the above before I can use i-player, etc, again.

8 minutes ago, balo said:

As an alternative to VPN I agree on firstonetv.net.  Quality is good , but sometimes very busy and you have to refresh . 

firstone.net is OK but it's live only, there's no catchup option.

Archived