BBC iPlayer

madmitch

Is anyone able to access iPlayer via a VPN right now? I've never had a problem in the past with Astrill but it now recognises I'm not in the UK. Tried all their servers as well. I wonder if they have some new VPN recognition software? ITV hub still works so it's not an Astrill problem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch via Chrome without a problem. You need to download the free Browsec VPN and Location Guard apps available in Chrome's Extensions.

Just set the location guard to a permanent location that's within the UK.

15 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I watch via Chrome without a problem. You need to download the free Browsec VPN and Location Guard apps available in Chrome's Extensions.

Just set the location guard to a permanent location that's within the UK.

How do you set to UK in the free Browsec, when UK is a premium location?

There are only 3 free locations as I can see, which doesn't include UK

29 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

How do you set to UK in the free Browsec, when UK is a premium location?

There are only 3 free locations as I can see, which doesn't include UK

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. I didn't know Browsec locations are now limited in the free version, when did it change and remove the UK option? I've been using it for a long time and it's definitely still registered for the UK for me. In fact there's a small 'UK' icon super imposed over the green Browsec 'World icon'.

I do agree that when using Browsec free edition on an Android device you are limited to three locations, the USA, Netherlands and Singapore.

4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

On mine its under Free, does this mean if I change I loose UK? I'm not going to try.

Capture.JPG

I just downloaded the latest version 0.1.53 on Android, and there UK is missing from the free servers, so if I was you I wouldn't risk updating.

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

After reading your comment just tried again with Astrill.......and it's working!

I wonder for how long?

One issue I found with BBC  iplayer is that, apart from checking your IP address at the start of downloading they intermittently request a location (not the IP address) during a program and it's this that brings up the 'not in the UK page' causing it to shut down and prevents watching. Using a Location Guard and setting it to the UK, such as the extension in Chrome, as well as a VPN gets round this problem.

One issue I found with BBC  iplayer is that, apart from checking your IP address at the start of downloading they intermittently request a location (not the IP address) during a program and it's this that brings up the 'not in the UK page' causing it to shut down and prevents watching. Using a Location Guard and setting it to the UK, such as the extension in Chrome, as well as a VPN gets round this problem.

Where is “location guard “ in chrome ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

After reading your comment just tried again with Astrill.......and it's working!

I wonder for how long?

I have an open dialogue with my VPN provider (paid for) and they are fighting a constant battle with the likes of the BBC to gain access. So you will find that sometimes iPlayer will not be available from time to time until your VPN provider finds a way around.

below is the message from my VPNUK.  just get an account with them and they will sort it for you no problem.

its a fiver a month.

http://vpnuk.info/

they will even instal if remotely for you

used them for years, brilliant

There is an issue with BBC at the moment for users on the Shared IP platform, we have reports of intermittent blocking which we believe is due to the dynamic ip address that are assigned to these accounts being used by multiple accounts. A solution to this would be to get a unique IP address, so If you switch your account over to a Dedicated IP account the problem appears to resolve itself.

A Dedicated IP account will give you your very own unique, static IP.

18 hours ago, samsensam said:

ipvanish is working fine for bbc, itv and ch4, watching now...

Doesn't work for me, well certainly not the ITV Add-On under Kodi.

Using your VPN, how are you then seeing these channels?

23 minutes ago, ignis said:

Do not use a VPN........  All UK channels no problem with https://www.firstone.tv/Live/United-Kingdom

Otherwise if you have Kodi [have on PC and Android Box]  All UK channels no issue on 'Made in Canada'  [go to Live TV UK]

Thanks.

It looks OK for live TV but BBC iPlayer is predominantly a catchup service.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Thanks.

It looks OK for live TV but BBC iPlayer is predominantly a catchup service.

If you want a catch up service without having to use a VPN try http://www.teatimetv.to/ (eight day catchup) and http://tvmucho.com/player/ (seven day catchup)

In fact teatimetv won't work if you are using a UK based VPN or UK IP address, You must have a foreign IP address to be able to log on.

As for  https://www.firstone.tv/Live/United-Kingdom mentioned in a previous post, if you register with them (it's free), the hidden channels  are actually BT Sports channels so, for sports/football fans, you can watch all the European and premier league football matches shown live on BT Sports for free.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:16 AM, madmitch said:

Is anyone able to access iPlayer via a VPN right now? I've never had a problem in the past with Astrill but it now recognises I'm not in the UK.

Astrill is working fine here, I watch programs on BBC iPlayer weekly . Sometimes Astrill need to update their servers so maybe thats what happened to you.. 

When I turn on one of the UK servers I always check my browser on mylocation.org.  Clear your cookies daily or else BBC could see your local IP  in Thailand and not the UK even if the VPN is switched on . 

If that happens to me I just use a cleaning program like Ccleaner and clean everything before I use the browser again. 

On 10/27/2017 at 11:23 AM, Digitalbanana said:

The NAN BBCiPlayer and ITVplayer for Kodi work in catchup mode without VPN/SmartDNS also.

I can't get either of those to work, just get a failed to play message.

I watch BBC and ITV with Covenant, a bit tedious but there is no 30 day timeframe.

23 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

When I tried to look into the problem that came up but when I checked it was enabled by default on 17.4. I noticed the other day that it has now been updated to 17.5 but the problem is still there. It says an error occurred and refer to the log. 

From what I can make out the error on the log is one that has been kicking around for several years but failed to find a definite solution. Consensus seemed to be it was a compatibility issue.

Archived