Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

webfact

Just now, chezy86 said:

If your wearing a helmet and got the correct documentation how do they squeeze you for money ?

The passenger foot pegs are down.  You're riding with flip flops.  You've repainted the bike.  Or, you just need to pay. 

We got stopped going to Issan a few years ago.  We asked why?  You were in the passing lane.  Right...we were passing...within the speed limits.  The cop finally admitted they just needed some money for tea.  Actually told us that.  Wifey gave him 20B.  Pure scam.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

If your wearing a helmet and got the correct documentation how do they squeeze you for money ?

You want to pay there on the road, or go to the station. And they took the keys out of your bike, so you aren't riding there. what do you want to do?

8 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

The real problem here is the Police salary it’s peanuts. And as the old saying goes “ Ya pay peanuts ya gets monkeys”. Until salaries support the policeman’s families adequately it will never attract more suitable candidates or commitment from them. 

That doesn't excuse them for being crooked thieves. And what is worse, everybody knows they are crooked thieves. If the salary isn't sufficient, they should have found a different job. 

Basically what you have is a policeforce indistinguishable from moto and tuktuk drivers. Just look at them.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The passenger foot pegs are down.  You're riding with flip flops.  You've repainted the bike.  Or, you just need to pay. 

We got stopped going to Issan a few years ago.  We asked why?  You were in the passing lane.  Right...we were passing...within the speed limits.  The cop finally admitted they just needed some money for tea.  Actually told us that.  Wifey gave him 20B.  Pure scam.

Your signature line:

"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."
Aung San Suu Kyi

She obviously knows much about her neighbouring country. :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

The real problem here is the Police salary it’s peanuts. And as the old saying goes “ Ya pay peanuts ya gets monkeys”. Until salaries support the policeman’s families adequately it will never attract more suitable candidates or commitment from them. 

I have never seen any info regarding police wages. Also if they need an increase and receive one who is to say that they will not carry on with the tea money stint as well-----My guess is Thai style------increase AND more checkpoints

2 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Why just reporting in Bangkok this should be in place all over Thailand?

I was stopped near Kabin Buri,     my brand new Nissan had no number plate, Nissan said tax and number up to 20 days delay.    So the police said that is illegal.     He wanted 300 baht.      Does this mean that we buy a new car, but have to leave it in the showroom until they get the number plate and tax sorted ??     JOKE,    I refused to pay the 300, I spoke very quick English so he did not understand -frustrated he told me to drive on---ha ha.

1 minute ago, hobobo said:

Pray tell me, how do I know whether a checkpoint is illegal? Do I ask the cops to show me a permit? Get real.

Can the chief please check the street video,    get evidence so he can give them a sort of gardening leave,   ????

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Anonymity surely you jest sir !!

You shop the cops for illegal activity, later they will quietly sort you out.

You probably not read the Thai facebook pages.

Or are unaware of the changes that are happening in Thailand.

For about two months now the Thai publish on the pages pictures of cops and check points.

The numbers 191, 1197 just an extra to this people initiative and signal.

Still I am sure there will come different way as I have seen also happening.

Only when you not pay and central collected by bank transfer this will probably stop as have seen in other countries.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But he has also been urging cops to get out of their stations and booths and do their job in improving the traffic situation in the following areas:

It seems to me the top cop might consider a edict stronger than 'urging' his minions to do their jobs. 

So pray tell, how can one know if a checkpoint is bogus? Should we roll down the window and ask the gendarme if they are kosher? Ri sara!

I come across a police checkpoint on the average once a day here in this police scam city of Pattaya and Jomtien.  I am sick and tired of it, while the helmetless loud piped unlicensed idiots continue to roar on by.

I have learned to keep my drivers licence in a card holder on a strap around my neck for ease of access, and away from them seeing my money in my wallet, which is the real goal of the stop.

However, the best defence I have found is my GoPro helmet cam. I now get waved on through most of the time when they see it flashing and recording their interrogation, and at the very least, it is now kept quite short as they know they might find themselves on YouTube.

I have never seen any info regarding police wages. Also if they need an increase and receive one who is to say that they will not carry on with the tea money stint as well-----My guess is Thai style------increase AND more checkpoints

A member of the wife’s family is a border cop and it’s just enough for a family to survive. What your saying is correct as we’ve seen in America where cops have a decent salary they’re still bent as a $6 note.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, chezy86 said:

A member of the wife’s family is a border cop and it’s just enough for a family to survive. What your saying is correct as we’ve seen in America where cops have a decent salary they’re still bent as a $6 note.

BS.  Sure, there are some corrupt cops in the US.  But as a friend of mine once told me.  Why would I risk a high paying job with full benefits and a fantastic retirement for $6.

That doesn't excuse them for being crooked thieves. And what is worse, everybody knows they are crooked thieves. If the salary isn't sufficient, they should have found a different job. 
Basically what you have is a policeforce indistinguishable from moto and tuktuk drivers. Just look at them.

Yeah agree but what I’m trying to say is the salary is not attracting the right candidates because they’ve took higher paid positions elsewhere.

Just now, chezy86 said:

Yeah agree but what I’m trying to say is the salary is not attracting the right candidates because they’ve took higher paid positions elsewhere.

Where are those higher paid positions?  College grads are making some 12-15k/month.  If they can get even get a job like that.

23 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Total ignorant BS, and sounds suspiciously like petulant whining from someone who's had problems...   You see a headline about some cop accused of this or that, and extrapolate it into an excuse for your own no doubt "unfortunate" dealings with law enforcement.

5 hours ago, davehowden said:

So how do you distinguish a legal checkpoint from an illegal one ?

You saunter over to them and say "Hey you guys is this legal?"

Or.

Take some snaps and send it to the cops, who will never reveal who you are. Right.

Total ignorant BS, and sounds suspiciously like petulant whining from someone who's had problems...   You see a headline about some cop accused of this or that, and extrapolate it into an excuse for your own no doubt "unfortunate" dealings with law enforcement.

Please explain your thesis and provide examples for your conclusions as it is total BS of the verbal variety

2 hours ago, chezy86 said:

With their trained eye, they will mention that:

• The tires have the wrong pressure.
  • You weren't driving at the extreme left side of the road.
  • Not signaling (to the left) when stopping for the police checkpoint.
  • Your bike is dirty and needs to be cleaned as there is some dust on the headlight(s).
  • Not having the orginal parts (modification of mirrors, bar handles, buddyseat) or missing an air valve cap...

And many more excuses to pull you over and fine you...

I would say, turn it around.

Squeeze some money out of the bribing cops by telling to call 1197 and report them, or let them pay up a 1,000 THB or so... I really want to see the face of that cop... :w00t: :cheesy:

Edited by PAIBKK