Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

webfact

13 hours ago, davehowden said:

So how do you distinguish a legal checkpoint from an illegal one ?

The photos in the news article in the OP illustrate it.

Illegal checkpoint:

https://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_10/22730145_2230373127189808_8142149034376126579_n.jpg.d5bcd98c6d9bbbf7b583a49290309479.jpg

Legal checkpoint:

https://assets.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_10/22688435_2230373253856462_5491067640178422396_n.jpg.45961e16f56b83f28b33850c7286437c.jpg

Now, go get them! What's the number to call again? 1197

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the things that always puzzles me is, why doesn't the Police do something about school kids riding motor cycles without helmets and riding with 3 on the bike.  All they have to do is place 3 or 4 Police at the exits of the High Schools and confiscate all bikes breaking the law of the land.  No doubt there would be a great number of those riders who also don't have licences.  These young people are the future of the country and should be protected from their own reckless attitudes.  It would also prevent them from growing up thinking that it is okay to break the law.  A few patrols to check on the junior ranks by senior officers would soon shake things up.

9 hours ago, ginjag said:

I was stopped near Kabin Buri,     my brand new Nissan had no number plate, Nissan said tax and number up to 20 days delay.    So the police said that is illegal.     He wanted 300 baht.      Does this mean that we buy a new car, but have to leave it in the showroom until they get the number plate and tax sorted ??...

Yes.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Anonymity surely you jest sir !!

You shop the cops for illegal activity, later they will quietly sort you out.

Yer, this hotline was set up by the Police to catch all the grasses. anyone who phones that number will disappear and never be seen again .

Watch out, they are coming to get you .

The phone is a trap

23 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

What about the red temporary plate they should’ve given you them (returnable deposit payable) till your plates came?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Getting the red plate is obviously something to be resolved between you and the car dealer. Sue the dealer, if you must, but don't drive without plates.

Edited by Puccini

I went into central BKK from Northern BKK today.

Was madness with all the scooters and bikes going along every road that they are not allowed down. Pratumnam was insane.

Thais are the masters of give an inch, take ten miles.

The Thais on scooters on bikes have been given an inch, they've taken ten miles. 

17 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds like this guy is on the ball and knows what traffic policing is all about, well done to that man.

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking  (Hard one that)

*Bike riders with no helmets

*Running red lights

*Vehicles running the wrong way down roads.

Can he please add

idiot drivers tail gating

Idiot drivers speeding

Can we come back next month and see how he is getting on

Keep Up The Good Work My Man.

and also add the idiot motorbike riders who stack their shopping in a basket in front of the headlight, so it's totally blocked!!

How did this model ever get approved for sale?

4 hours ago, chezy86 said:

What about the red temporary plate they should’ve given you them (returnable deposit payable) till your plates came?

I bought a brand new Suzuki, and red plates had been fitted.   

Half an hour later I was stopped just out of town and hit for 100baht.    The reason was that it was 'out of district'.

Was also told that red plate cars could not be driven after dark.  True?

It took 6 weeks for the white plates to arrive.

Half an hour later I was stopped just out of town and hit for 100baht.    The reason was that it was 'out of district'.

Yeah we were told that by the salesman no after dark driving. Also not to go out of Bangkok. But we had a week in Pranburi pre booked so I risked it. Salesman said if you write in the plate log book that he gave us the address we were staying should be ok.
On way back went through 2 road blocks where they were stopping laden pick ups and motorbikes. Just wound the window down and they waved me through both times. Lucky then by the sounds of things.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:23 AM, colinneil said:

Anonymity surely you jest sir !!

You shop the cops for illegal activity, later they will quietly sort you out.

Also,they(police)always wear big heavy boots,and are never ever in the wrong,well, that's according to ninety nine percent of their fellow mates.

In pattaya and Jomtien, the police have checkpoints where they pull over any white person on a motorcycle. Then squeeze them for money. I have watched them. Most of the whiteys pulled over have helmets and are driving prudently.
It is obvious to everyone in Thailand that the police have no interest in fixing the incredibly horrible driving conditions caused by Thai people's insane driving practices. Thais drive like little children.

Nonsense, they pull over both locals and farangs, you havent seen many checkpoints then.

Who knows whether they are fakes or genuine?

Ask for a receipt, then you'll know. I have been stopped one time for not wearing the seat belts, 200 baht but they gave me a ticlwt and told me to pay at the police station. This was in Chiang Mai.

27 minutes ago, balo said:

Nonsense, they pull over both locals and farangs, you havent seen many checkpoints then.

Agreed.  But they do seem to pull over almost all foreigners.  I see them lined up at the cop box on Huay Yai road.  While sitting at the lights are numerous scooter drivers with no helmets.  All the foreigners have helmets.  I also get pulled over all the time at the check point near the Ambassador.  They check my license and tax sticker and let me go.  Happens almost every time.

15 hours ago, masuk said:

You should know this if buying a new car.

All you have to do is write in the log book if you go to a different province.

I've never been fined for having red plates at night, but then again it wasn't a Suzuki :)

I’ve been through a few been brethlized twice but so were all the Thai drivers in the line. Seems pretty even to me. Only time I’ve seen a bribe given was when we were in the back of a taxi in Bkk and driver ran a red light(debatable)and he stumped up 100 Baht at the back of Taxi the missis heard him say it’s all he had.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Agreed.  But they do seem to pull over almost all foreigners.  I see them lined up at the cop box on Huay Yai road.  While sitting at the lights are numerous scooter drivers with no helmets.  All the foreigners have helmets.  I also get pulled over all the time at the check point near the Ambassador.  They check my license and tax sticker and let me go.  Happens almost every time.

Be careful, they check urine at this checkpoint sometimes...

Buriram ringroad. Mid morning. Me and my wife enjoying a little drive, both properly seat-belted up. Had the road to ourselves.

Stopped at a police checkpoint. "Sawatdee khup officer. "

"Sawatdee khup .... 200 baht. Lady not wear seat-belt."

Was an interesting experience. I've never seen my missus question anyone in uniform before.

Phwrrrrr .... faster than speed of light, two horns popped out of her skull, and she arked up bigtime at the cop for about 30 seconds.

No idea what she said of course, but when the tirade was over, the cop politely waved us on as though nothing occured.

No money changed hands. Guess he thought he'd try it on. Prick.

I was so proud of her ..... although the horns bit has prompted me to hide all sharp objects previously laying about the house.