How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

1 minute ago, Naam said:

living in my home country my tax liability for 2017 would be

income tax.........39,122%

church tax...........3.521%

solidarity tax........1.956%

total...................44.599%

plus Vat on every penny i spend 19%

assuming i spend half of my income VAT is another 9.5%

total tax load.......54.099% = :bah:

All I can say is ouch....

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

lmao. so the 40% is a fictional number !!

Viking,

Posted the chart I got from Revenue Canada above. Shows where I got the number. Not fictional but after reading Naam's might not be true either. Not sure and again not fussed. Point was not going to pay tax where I don't live or wish to live

1 hour ago, KhunMhee said:

Viking,

Posted the chart I got from Revenue Canada above. Shows where I got the number. Not fictional but after reading Naam's might not be true either. Not sure and again not fussed. Point was not going to pay tax where I don't live or wish to live

I found an online calculator and for tax in Canada to hit 40% (total inc federal and provincial) one would be earning $250,000 a year with a take home pay of $160,000. Yep that hurts and I can understand you hatred of paying it !

Edited by Techno Viking
Had some numbers wrong.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

You're paying taxes then, it's just that your salary is quoted as net take-home pay rather than as a gross amount before taxes.

Yea in the country I work in. Never disputed that I just don't see the money. Still not paying in Canada is all. Guess that's the outta site outta mind part.

But you could drive your BMW at 300 km/hr with impunity.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

I had to Google church and solidarity tax.  :sad:

1 minute ago, naboo said:

Just had a thought.

30B for a kilo of sticky rice.

20B for a bottle of ketchup.

That's 6 meals.

2 days worth of fusion cuisine for 50B.

And with a bit of luck the accommodation has an abundance of cockroaches, fried up with some salt and pepper they make for a great accompaniment to the sticky rice.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Somehow I'm  beginning to get a whiff of trolling.

But if there's any actual truth to the thread about living on 4K baht / month, I'd just say "better thee than me"

How to easily live on 4,000 baht a month EXCLUDING rent:

Live somewhere that rent includes all essentials plus internet and cable tv.

Have cheap microwave and electric cooker to cook own food.

Use free shuttle to mall to shop at supermarket. Otherwise walk- keeps one fit

Only use internet and cable tv in room

Helps if free newspapers in lobby. That can take a couple of hours, if one reads everything.

Eat at barbeers with balloons. Supermarkets often have free samples too.

Don't eat much- good for keeping the weight off and saving money.

Be naked in the room- cuts down on laundry.

That basically only leaves visa extensions that cost much, plus of course medical insurance, but I don't think they should be included as a monthly budget item.

:stoner:

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

But you could drive your BMW at 300 km/hr with impunity.

Not everywhere, I have seen countless 110Kmh limits on the autobahn.. But I didn't know 3.5 % for the b...y churches. Religion should remain optional (Nationalism and religion are the causes of all wars in history).

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

And with a bit of luck the accommodation has an abundance of cockroaches, fried up with some salt and pepper they make for a great accompaniment to the sticky rice.

and with a little more luck catching the occasional rat adds a luxury touch to the diet.

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

@ 4k a month I doubt a sharp knife could be afforded to skin and gut the rodent.

You are right, he must be an alien, have you watched the V series?

BTW, immigration screens it aa part of the IO induction class.

Many seem to assume that scrimping on food costs means that you'll survive on sticky rice and pot noodles.

On the contrary, if you ditch the sugar-laden cr*p and start eating fresh fruit and veg, you'll save a fortune and get healthier in the process.

About 1 year ago, I stopped regular eating pizzas, beer, burgers, ice-cream, and changed to eating fresh fruit, salads, nuts, oily dish, red wine and kefir milk,  My food bill went through the floor and my health and body stats (BP, chloresterol etc etc) are those of someone 20 years younger than my real age.

My bank account thanks me for my change in lifestyle :)

I'm not a big fast food eater but occasionally I'll go in Mcdonalds to charge my phone (they don't seem to care if you buy anything or not).  I noticed a medium fries was 69 baht.  In the US they're $1.79 according to Google.  Which is 58 baht.   In the UK they're £1.09  -  47 baht.  So in a poorer country, where labour, construction costs, base ingredients(?) are all cheaper, and people have less money to spend, why does it cost more?

1 minute ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I'm not a big fast food eater but occasionally I'll go in Mcdonalds to charge my phone (they don't seem to care if you buy anything or not).  I noticed a medium fries was 69 baht.  In the US they're $1.79 according to Google.  Which is 58 baht.   In the UK they're £1.09  -  47 baht.  So in a poorer country, where labour, construction costs, base ingredients(?) are all cheaper, and people have less money to spend, why does it cost more?

are the fries sourced locally or imported ?

1 minute ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Does Thailand import potatoes?  I would have thought they were grown locally but maybe they don't make enough of them here, I don't know.

all the local potato's ive tried to make chips from are not very nice but then neither are Mcdonalds fries so maybe they local !!

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Because pricing (of almost everything) is based on what the customer will pay, not on the production costs. American fast food is looked on as a luxury in Asia, so they charge more. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB