Phuket weather alert warns of heavy rains next week

rooster59

Phuket weather alert warns of heavy rains next week 

1509184637_1.jpg

Heavy rains are expected in multiple provinces across Southern Thailand from Monday through Friday next week. Source: TMD

The Thailand Meteorological Department (TMD) has issued a severe weather alert for the coming week (Oct 31 to Nov 3) for multiple provinces across Southern Thailand, including Phuket.

According to the TMD, an "active low cell" over the lower South China Sea will be moving West slowly through the Gulf of Thailand to the Andaman Sea from Oct 31 through to Nov 3.

“Outbreaks of heavy downpours are forecast for much of Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket and Krabi. People should beware of possible flash flood,” said the warning.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-weather-alert-warns-of-heavy-rains-next-week-64478.php#MholUpWc18yRibjL.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-28

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any weather experts here?

I was just wondering what the recent La Niña arrival announcement means for weather in Thailand in the coming few months.

I was in Thailand last January, and experienced some of the worst weather I’ve ever seen in Phuket. During the 12 days I was there it rained almost non stop for maybe 8 or 9 of them. I’ve been coming to Thailand around the same time of year for around 7 years now and sure you get the odd shower but I’d never seen anything like that.

23 hours ago, wellred said:

Are there any weather experts here?

I was just wondering what the recent La Niña arrival announcement means for weather in Thailand in the coming few months.

I was in Thailand last January, and experienced some of the worst weather I’ve ever seen in Phuket. During the 12 days I was there it rained almost non stop for maybe 8 or 9 of them. I’ve been coming to Thailand around the same time of year for around 7 years now and sure you get the odd shower but I’d never seen anything like that.

Just checked the weather for last January, we had 2 overcast, wet days and 3 overcast days with some rain during the day. On all other days we had a great amount of sun.

Those 5 days in total are exceptional, normally much more sun, but still a far cry from "During the 12 days I was there it rained almost non stop for maybe 8 or 9 of them.".

Regarding the weather for next January and February: should be good, but who knows.

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Just checked the weather for last January, we had 2 overcast, wet days and 3 overcast days with some rain during the day. On all other days we had a great amount of sun.

Those 5 days in total are exceptional, normally much more sun, but still a far cry from "During the 12 days I was there it rained almost non stop for maybe 8 or 9 of them.".

Regarding the weather for next January and February: should be good, but who knows.

Not meaning to call you a liar but I wasn't exaggerating when I said it rained a lot for over a week. A lot of people I've spoken to who live on the island say that was a freak month and they have never seen that before. 

Fingers cross it will be a bit more normal this time.

5 minutes ago, wellred said:

Not meaning to call you a liar but I wasn't exaggerating when I said it rained a lot for over a week. A lot of people I've spoken to who live on the island say that was a freak month and they have never seen that before. 

Fingers cross it will be a bit more normal this time.

Your recollection does not match the statistics.

Yes, the rain was exceptional, but no, far from 8-9 of the 12 days were non stop rain.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Your recollection does not match the statistics.

Yes, the rain was exceptional, but no, far from 8-9 of the 12 days were non stop rain.

Well the statistics were wrong then. Weather in Phuket can sometimes be localized so I'm not sure that would be reflected in an overall report for the month. I was in Patong. I've just checked my hotel dates and I was there for 7 days, not 9! Of those days, going through my photos we only had clear skies and sun for 3 days. I know this as I did day trips on all 3 day. All the other days were overcast and heavy showers.

I was there btw so that's how I know.

9 minutes ago, wellred said:

Well the statistics were wrong then. Weather in Phuket can sometimes be localized so I'm not sure that would be reflected in an overall report for the month. I was in Patong. I've just checked my hotel dates and I was there for 7 days, not 9! Of those days, going through my photos we only had clear skies and sun for 3 days. I know this as I did day trips on all 3 day. All the other days were overcast and heavy showers.

I was there btw so that's how I know.

So 4 days were rainy in stead of 9.