Over 40 Grocery Stores Expected To Shut Down This Year

george

Over 40 grocery stores expected to shut down this year: survey

BANGKOK: -- Over 40 per cent of traditional retail shops in Bangkok would shut down their business this year due to higher competition, according to Sripatum University's International Retail and Franchise Business R&D Centre (IRF).

The centre said the shops' combined sales value is about Bt100 billion.

Peerapong Kittiveshpokawat, director of the centre, said a survey of 400 samples from over 50,000 small retailers showed over 40 per cent are prepared to shut their businesses.

"Their business has been largely affected by multinational companies' expansion as well as 24hour convenience stores," he said.

-- The Nation 2007-01-11

Another sign of the times. As long as they find other work - the Thais are clever at finding ways to sell this or that - I suppose you have to chalk it up to 'progress.' If the talaads ever disappear that will be sad. Replacing all the great institutions Thai with sterilized Western shopping would be a great mistake for the Thais. Their markets are part of the allure of the country and the vibrancy of life here.

Most (not all) of those stores are a waste of time. They stock so little merchandise. As for myself, I won't mind seeing most of them go. As for the 'allure' of the markets, from what I see there are more people in the big shopping malls than in the markets.

On the other hand , big stores like Tesco could offer better prices on many items but don't. Their only advantage is the convenience of finding mostly anything under the same roof. Vegetables and fruits are overpriced and are mostly never fresh.

One example:

1/2 pound of butter= 37 baht

1 pound of butter= 75 baht :o

Most (not all) of those stores are a waste of time. They stock so little merchandise. As for myself, I won't mind seeing most of them go. As for the 'allure' of the markets, from what I see there are more people in the big shopping malls than in the markets.

I see your point but when every city in the world looks the same, won't it be boring? One big homogenized lump of multi-national-dominated blandness with blanket 24 hr cctv.

Any biologist would tell you that any species without diversity is a species in decline... :o

[quote name='Scott' post='1077528' date='2007-01-12 08:10:41']Most (not all) of those stores are a waste of time. They stock so little merchandise. As for myself, I won't mind seeing most of them go. As for the 'allure' of the markets, from what I see there are more people in the big shopping malls than in the markets.

Go to Klongtoey or just the Spahan Mai Wet Market every morning, you will see how many thais are still allured by these places.. the average thai still go to wet markets to buy their "Fresh " things.

Edited by graesta

BANGKOK: -- Over 40 per cent of traditional retail shops in Bangkok would shut down their business this year due to higher competition, according to Sripatum University's International Retail and Franchise Business R&D Centre (IRF).

Peerapong Kittiveshpokawat, director of the centre, said a survey of 400 samples from over 50,000 small retailers showed over 40 per cent are prepared to shut their businesses.

"Their business has been largely affected by multinational companies' expansion as well as 24hour convenience stores," he said.

-- The Nation 2007-01-11

Over 40 grocery stores ............... combined sales value is about Bt100 billion

:o

just how far over 40 are we talking

Go to Klongtoey or just the Spahan Mai Wet Market every morning, you will see how many thais are still allured by these places.. the average thai still go to wet markets to buy their "Fresh " things.

the only thais still using those markets (in cities where there are large supermarkets) are the old and the stubborn (the past) , unable to change the habits of a lifetime , clinging on (for better or worse , i am not making any judgements ) to a fast disappearing lifestyle of shopping for food in a smelly , dusty , cockroach and rat infested environment.

if there is an airconditioned tesco , big C or carrefour nearby , then younger people ( the future) will shop there.

they may be characterful and "cultural" to those rose coloured spectacle wearing foriegners who still get a buzz from mixing it with toothless old locals and foul mannered fishwives , but thankfully those crumbling old shacks and the traders and wildlife within will soon be a thing of the past.

Over 40 grocery stores ............... combined sales value is about Bt100 billion

Obviously a typo as the first line of the story says:

BANGKOK: -- Over 40 per cent of traditional retail shops in Bangkok would shut down their business this year due to higher competition

Doesn't sound like a particularly conservative or realistic estimate.

I see your point but when every city in the world looks the same, won't it be boring? One big homogenized lump of multi-national-dominated blandness with blanket 24 hr cctv.

Any biologist would tell you that any species without diversity is a species in decline... :o

c'mon now... you're just being a pompous cockroach

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;st=240

the only thais still using those markets (in cities where there are large supermarkets) are the old and the stubborn (the past) , unable to change the habits of a lifetime , clinging on (for better or worse , i am not making any judgements ) to a fast disappearing lifestyle of shopping for food in a smelly , dusty , cockroach and rat infested environment.

if there is an airconditioned tesco , big C or carrefour nearby , then younger people ( the future) will shop there.

they may be characterful and "cultural" to those rose coloured spectacle wearing foriegners who still get a buzz from mixing it with toothless old locals and foul mannered fishwives , but thankfully those crumbling old shacks and the traders and wildlife within will soon be a thing of the past.

Sounds like you don't get out of your "airconditioned" compound to see that there is a lot more to these markets than "food in a smelly , dusty , cockroach and rat infested environment." Do you have a vested interest in Wal-mart perhaps? I hear they may be moving in soon...... Wake up, the world would be pretty boring if you could get on a plane and fly 20 hours to the other side of the world just to find out it looks the same as where you just came from.

c'mon now... you're just being a pompous cockroach

Correction - pompous foreign cockroach.

Also the correct link is this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...502&st=255#

It's a must read post of the year so far.

>>>>

Wet markets are not only for shoppers - they are distribution centers for all the restaurants in the city, all the smaller afternoon mooban/sidewalk markers also stock there.

Their main business activities are very early in the morning and their are not direct competitors of multinationals. At least not yet. Tesco has a concept of a "wet market store", I believe, and Macro's fresh produce section is also great for bulk purchasers.

Edited by Plus

I gotta admit that the freshness, quality and price for meat, fish, fruit and veg in the local market is superior to the nearest tescos. Plus it is a community place where people go to hang out, have a chat, etc. The food market area of the hypermarkets is an appendage to the clothes, housewares, electronics, etc...but I still need tescos for vodka, Campbell soups, tabasco and pork and beans...

I heard that a tescos is planned for southern Suphanburi...the only advantage that I see is that I wouldn't haveta travel 35km to buy vodka...

-- The Nation 2007-01-11

40 percent... that's about more than 40 stores :D

Wake up, the world would be pretty boring if you could get on a plane and fly 20 hours to the other side of the world just to find out it looks the same as where you just came from.

you wake up !! and get used to the fact that , like it or not , for better or for worse , the people of developing countries want the so called benefits that we as westerners were so excited about when supermarket style shopping was first introduced into europe and that we now take for granted.

i agree that cities will gradually become more boring and sterile without the tumbledown and filthy old markets that westerners find so romantic and evocative , but western progress seems to crush everything in its path , and people love it.

and in order to prevent tesco from dominating the market , we need more companies to open up.

as soon as some thai entrepreneur opens the first thai run hypermarket concern , you will soon see any home grown concerns for the plight of the poor locals who are unable to keep up and compete disappear down the same drain that most of the rats and cockroaches in the markets crawl out of.

These mega stores are killing the local businesses in small communities so they should not open in small towns. But what happened recently was outrageous that they even open branches outside the cities near smalls town and municipalities eg. they tried to open in Pakchong, Nakhon Rachasima but was halted due to protests.

Edited by thai_narak

...the only advantage that I see is that I wouldn't haveta travel 35km to buy vodka...

I think you'll find that lao khao is a suitable substitute for vodka in most cocktail recipes... :D :D

!@#%&*&^%$ :D

(whaddaya got against vodka SJ?...never hab tried lao khao...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Cockroaches and rats aren't just confined to markets, I've seen both in our local TOPS and at the Carrefor and Tesco's one often sees birds flying around. :o Where would their droppings land :D ? It put me off the fruit and veg I can tell you. Who knows what happens at night

Tutsi Roll, I'm gonna start a potato hooch still just for you! :o

I'm with the wet market shoppers. Early morning, no flies, great Thai coffee and fresh donuts (total Bt7), sizzling kebabs for Bt5, beef off the hoof, and if you're lucky to get it, the whole filet strip for Bt250, hog ears, the best fruit and veg in season (nothing refridgerated and shipped for days from wherever), and the best banter. Barter prices are great. And no styrofoam packing refuse. Bring your own basket and no plastic bag trash either.

Big chains are OK for bulk dog food, tissue and farang comfort food, but it's so Avon Lady suburban and I have to wear a parka when I shop there.

But the newer generation of ex-pats, the neo-sahibs, revel in this splendor of the global homogenization (and yes, they tend to be a bit boring, wealthy, but still boring) Do you think they would be living in Thailand without their local Starbucks nearby? With the familiar feel of the malls and the Tescos, they can imagine they are back home, wherever that may be, and not in some third world country with a less-than-stable regime where things can go bad in a flash and investments are not really secured by law. Yep, best to get rid of anything that shouts: "Dorothy, this is not really Kansas here" and please don't take me anywhere that does not have a high-rise commode.