Certificate of residence at Chaeng Watana. How many hours ?

Hello

I have to get a certificate of residence for a new driving licence.

The French Embassy does not provide that any more.

I have to obtain it from the Immigration Officers.

Questions:

Is it possible at the Immigration office in Lardprao ?

In Chaeng Watana, how many hours do I have to expect ?

Which documents I have to bring ?

THANK YOU

You can only get it at Chaeng Wattana. 

The wait to do the application should not be long. But it will take up to 3 weeks to get it by EMS which is included in the 200 baht fee you will pay.

Since one of their requirements to get one is that you are doing 90 day reports to them there will be no need for proof of residence.

Perhaps a copy of your passport photo page and extension stamp but don't recall any report of anything else.

Application form download. Application For Certificate Of Residency

You will need 2 photos.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, geovalin said:

By the way, the Thai Immigration provides an appliccation and not an application.

As a native English speaker,  with tolerably good writing skills, I do not understand why you are suggesting 'application' should be misspelled.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As a native English speaker,  with tolerably good writing skills, I do not understand why you are suggesting 'application' should be misspelled.

Because that is how it is spelt on the form Joe attached.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geovalin said:

The French Embassy does not provide that any more.

A pretty poor show if you ask me. Did they provide you with any explanation for their daft decision to discontinue this service?

I certainly recall my local immigration office (Maptaput) ceasing to provide certificates of residence a few years ago and directing us to our embassies instead! If they and other offices were to do likewise now, you and your compatriots would clearly be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea when it came to applying for driving licences, etc.

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

A pretty poor show if you ask me. Did they provide you with any explanation for their daft decision to discontinue this service?

I certainly recall my local immigration office (Maptaput) ceasing to provide certificates of residence a few years ago and directing us to our embassies instead! If they and other offices were to do likewise now, you and your compatriots would clearly be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea when it came to applying for driving licences, etc.

Yes, they did provide an explanation

la section consulaire ne donnera donc plus suite à ces demandes attestations de résidence bilingue car l’administration thaïe (Immigration) émet cette attestation, à un tarif très accessible.

It means : we'll not establish residence certificates any more because Thai administration does that very well at cheap price.

10 hours ago, geovalin said:

Yes, they did provide an explanation

la section consulaire ne donnera donc plus suite à ces demandes attestations de résidence bilingue car l’administration thaïe (Immigration) émet cette attestation, à un tarif très accessible.

It means : we'll not establish residence certificates any more because Thai administration does that very well at cheap price.

The big "if", of course, is whether all offices will willingly continue to provide residency certificates at a cheap price. The reason why Maptaput stopped issuing such certificates some time ago (albeit temporarily as things subsequently turned out) was that they had become miffed at all the complaints which they were receiving about the 500 THB charge which they were levying for a service which, at that time at least, was meant to be free.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get it at Chaeng Wattana. 

The wait to do the application should not be long. But it will take up to 3 weeks to get it by EMS which is included in the 200 baht fee you will pay.

Since one of their requirements to get one is that you are doing 90 day reports to them there will be no need for proof of residence.

Perhaps a copy of your passport photo page and extension stamp but don't recall any report of anything else.

Application form download. Application For Certificate Of Residency

You will need 2 photos.

Does this mean that there is now an official Immigration Bureau-sanctioned 200 THB charge for the provision of a residence certificate (in place of the previous unofficial charges levied by some offices)? And can the application form be used at provincial offices as well or just at Chaeng Wattana?

Edited by OJAS

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

Does this mean that there is now an official Immigration Bureau-sanctioned 200 THB charge for the provision of a residence certificate (in place of the previous unofficial charges levied by some offices)? And can the application form be used at provincial offices as well or just at Chaeng Wattana?

Not exactly. Chaeng Wattana has had the 200 baht service charge for a long time now.

I think the Immigration Bureau tends to agree with the offices that charge for the certificate as long as it is reasonable.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

One good reason to obtain your own Tabien Baan and Foreigners ID card.

As you well know that is easier said than done. Especially if they are renting the place they are staying. Not many landlords will grant permission to get a yellow tambien ban based upon their blue tambien ban.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As you well know that is easier said than done. Especially if they are renting the place they are staying. Not many landlords will grant permission to get a yellow tambien ban based upon their blue tambien ban.

I don't where you get that impression from.

My own experience and that of many I know who live in rented accommodation is that the Thai landlords are more than willing to co-operate.

In fact I don't recollect any foreigners complaining their landlords refused.

Some Amphurs make it hard work to obtain, but that's a different issue.

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your Embassy and Immigration become redundant for proof of address.

totally agree, i went that route and it has proven useful; the less dealing with immigration, the better; also the 'yellow book'/pink ID card route does not expire (over 60)

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not exactly. Chaeng Wattana has had the 200 baht service charge for a long time now.

I think the Immigration Bureau tends to agree with the offices that charge for the certificate as long as it is reasonable.

So still a bit of a lottery overall then. Should Maptaput have another hissy fit and stop issuing residency certificates once again it would, of course, effectively mean that French nationals living in Rayong Province would be unable to obtain driving licences or buy/sell cars/bikes!

Incidentally, in addition to the spelling mistake which has already been referred to, a rather more significant defect in the form which you attached appears to be that it does not include any tick-boxes for those who need a residency certificate for the purpose of obtaining a yellow house book or foreigner's ID card (see below).

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your Embassy and Immigration become redundant for proof of address.

Fine if your amphur will allow you to obtain these without the need for a residency certificate. Otherwise you will almost certainly be in a Catch-22 situation, it seems to me.

Indeed, my amphur were adamant that their requirement was for an Embassy residency certificate when I unsuccessfully applied for a yellow book several years ago. If this requirement has not changed it does, of course, mean that French nationals living in my amphur will be unable to obtain a yellow book or ID card period.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Indeed, my amphur were adamant that their requirement was for an Embassy residency certificate when I unsuccessfully applied for a yellow book several years ago. If this requirement has not changed it does, of course, mean that French nationals living in my amphur will be unable to obtain a yellow book or ID card period.

Then you need to take the issue up with the Amphurs Director, or the Ombudsman.

There should be absolutely no need for a certificate of residence as the landlord should be in attendance with the proof of address (his TB and ID card,) as he has to sign the application form consenting to you using his address.

In the event your Embassy or Immigration won't issue a CofR, you should try your local Police station.

Before I obtained my TB, my local Police station supplied me with 3 CofR's  free of charge.

They already have templates on their system.

• Like 2