Airplane noise. Low flying?

EnlightenedAtheist

17 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I would not know, but thanks for the info.

Is that all elements taken into account? I mean if an airplane must flight at a lower altitude or have their route angle off in a different manner, that absolute value becomes a very relative number.

My meter shows 60 to 70 DB levels when they pass over houses in some areas. It is less than 80, I guess! Is it acceptable, though? Can it be mitigated (not at a personal level, but at a collective level)?

I will type this quietly but 60dB is equivalent to conversational & air conditioner noise level and 70dB equals the noise level of your shower or dishwasher.

So what is your problem.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

Your proclivity for somewhat turgid verbosity, convoluting an unequivocal aviation contention that thrust equates to disquietude is rather more indicative of a surfeit of temporal lassitude, as opposed to an inclination towards erudition via this medium. 

Me? Verbose? That was not my intention at all, if I was.

I think you are confusing length/depth of analysis and style, but who knows. What are you referring to, exactly, anyway?

Incidentally, I am perplexed that you would accuse me of being verbose when you are using the exact style that you find "annoying"! But, since it is obviously intentional, it is odd.

Btw, is that a crime, a new law, a new forum rule that you are warning me about? LOL

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

25 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I will type this quietly but 60dB is equivalent to conversational & air conditioner noise level and 70dB equals the noise level of your shower or dishwasher.

So what is your problem.

What is more annoying that plane disturbing one's sleep is people not substantiating their thesis with evidence. I will forgive you. It is a sign of the time.

My facts don't match yours.What is YOUR problem? Don't like atheists? Love baby crying and dog barking? Are you deaf?

banfamily.gif

I don’t know which child’s cartoon book you took your diagram (above) from but here are the links I used to make a comment (not a Thesis!).

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

https://www.hearingaidknow.com/how-loud-is-too-loud-decibel-levels-of-common-sounds-2

I am still waiting for you to state what has changed since you moved to your location to warrant your present verbosity and what your proposed solution to your so called problem is.

Edited by scottiejohn

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I don’t know which child’s cartoon book you took your diagram (above) from but here are the links I used to make a comment (not a Thesis!).

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

https://www.hearingaidknow.com/how-loud-is-too-loud-decibel-levels-of-common-sounds-2

I am still waiting for you to state what has changed since you moved to your location to warrant your present verbosity and what your proposed solution to your so called problem is.

Sorry, I do not feel the tone of this conversation is working for me. I have stated my case and multiple times. 

Incidentally, "thesis" has multiple meanings: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/thesis

Bye.

16 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Sorry, I do not feel the tone of this conversation is working for me. I have stated my case and multiple times

17 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I am still waiting for the answers because you are just giving out verbose meaningless rubbish but not answering the basic questions. 

1.  What has caused your present problem now after so long in the area?

2.  What do you want from this forum or anyone else?

23 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Incidentally, "thesis" has multiple meanings

Most words in the English language have multiple meanings so why the extra meaningless verbosity again! You are only veering away from what ever your message is meant to be.

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Don't like atheists?

And what was the point of the atheists comment.  You have no idea of my thoughts, beliefs or lack of them and they are not, I would have thought (pun intended), relevant to whatever these posts are about.

Please give a short accurate reply that will maybe (tho I doubt it will happen) help you with your anguish or whatever!

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I am still waiting for the answers because you are just giving out verbose meaningless rubbish but not answering the basic questions. 

Most words in the English language have multiple meanings so why the extra meaningless verbosity again! You are only veering away from what ever your message is meant to be.

And what was the point of the atheists comment.  You have no idea of my thoughts, beliefs or lack of them and they are not, I would have thought (pun intended), relevant to whatever these posts are about.

Please give a short accurate reply that will maybe (tho I doubt it will happen) help you with your anguish or whatever!

Ahahaha! Prepare to wait for a long time. AHAHAHA! 

You are positioning yourself as a psychiatrist treating a patient. Hey, SJ, here is my advice. Go fly a kite, but a plane is more efficient.

Short enough? AHAHAHA!

29 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

Let's all be thankful we live in the age of the high bypass ratio turbofan engines which are so quiet compared to their predecessors.

People want to fly, there will be noise, we just have to live with it !

Thanks, but, at the end, what matters is what people on the ground must bear and what my meter indicates. They might be quieter now, but they are a bother. Of course, planes are needed. Regardless, these were not the questions that were asked. Read the OP.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:26 PM, EnlightenedAtheist said:

If so, some put up with it and others try to do something about it or at least make others aware that this is not usual, as most Thais might not be aware that this is unusual. 

Perhaps it isnt unusual.

Have you ever chosen to live directly under the flightpath anywhere else?

3 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Perhaps it isnt unusual.

Have you ever chosen to live directly under the flightpath anywhere else?

That is what I am trying to ascertain, but there are more off-topic posts in this thread that one could expect. But, maybe that is not unusual! LOL

I did not choose this and this is not a personal issue as I am moving in a few months. If one likes to be close to, say, the government buildings, there are not too many options unless you have 10 M. to spend. I have explained the reasons why this took place at length in one major post.

28 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Ahahaha! Prepare to wait for a long time. AHAHAHA! 

You are positioning yourself as a psychiatrist treating a patient. Hey, SJ, here is my advice. Go fly a kite.

Short enough? AHAHAHA!

What is the point of the reply above?

I have repeatedly asked you to answer two questions.  Why don't you answer them?

PS; I think you are the one who is flying a Kite and as to references to a psychiatrist, all I can say is you raised the subject, so look no further than your own self needs.

I would still like an answer to my two questions;

33 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Why can you not answer them?

Just now, scottiejohn said:

What is the point of the reply above?

I have repeatedly asked you to answer two questions.  Why don't you answer them?

PS; I think you are the one who is flying a Kite and as to references to a psychiatrist, all I can say is you raised the subject, so look no further than your own self needs.

I would still like an answer to my two questions;

Why can you not answer them?

Because there are off-topic.

Baseless and cheap ad hominen attacks do not warrant any answer.

On 10/31/2017 at 6:26 AM, jacko45k said:

If the aircraft were forced to take more circuitous routes or climb faster we would then annoy the tree huggers. You have to appreciate we live in a society where people do as they wish without due consideration to others. The neighbour whose dogs bark 24/7, who also leans on his horn until someone opens the gate. The street party in front of your gate with 5am music and your garden becoming a toilet! etc etc. The only solution may be to move away from town or back home.

Which tree huggers are these, and how would it annoy them?

I ignored the rest, as it just another thaivisa cliche, but i am curious as to how these mythical tree huggers come into it.

4 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Because there are off-topic.

Baseless and cheap ad hominen attacks do not warrant any answer.

How can these two basic questions be "off topic" they appear to me to be the basis of the OP!

When did asking questions become "ad hominin".  I am not attacking you or your argument because I do not know what the basis of your argument is as you refuse to define it or even more reasonably answer the two basic questions.

As to "ad hominin" re "rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument" YOU said;

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

YOUR problem? Don't like atheists?

Who is being/doing the "ad hominin" thing? 

It is not me.

Now will you answer my two questions which are most certainly germane to this issue which you started.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

How can these two basic questions be "off topic" they appear to me to be the basis of the OP!

When did asking questions become "ad hominin".  I am not attacking you or your argument because I do not know what the basis of your argument is as you refuse to define it or even more reasonably answer the two basic questions.

As to "ad hominin" re "rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument" YOU said;

Who is being/doing the "ad hominin" thing? 

It is not me.

Now will you answer my two questions which are most certainly germane to this issue which you started.

Germane does not mean t(r)opical. LOL

It looks like you were challenged at the start and continue to misunderstand or deliberately misconstrue the topic. I asked questions in the OP. Look for them. Answer them. If not, move on. How hard is it? (You can choose to ignore questions, but others must answer yours?) I will posit that you did not answer them because these were probably beyond your level of expertise and it was easier to morph the OP as some kind of an idiotic topic written by some idiot --also known as me:

Or don't choose to live near an airport!  I suspect it was there before you.

Duh! I suspect too. (Airplanes routes and traffic change, btw, as circumstances and priorities, but maybe there are no paradigm shifts in your world.) Simply put, your opening move was not the kind that helps to cement an amicable connection. Considering you were the first one to reply, you set me up. You followed with a few more bombs, compounding the problem, when I put you to task. Anyway, read the OP again. It clearly states the issue and we are not talking about being close to the airport. Duh! Never was and never will be the topic.

Landing : The normal glide path angle is 3 degrees, which equates to roughly 300 feet per mile, so at 10 miles from touchdown the aircraft with be at 3000 feet. Once descending on the glide path (normally from 3000 feet or thereabouts) flaps and landing gear are selected which increase both lift and drag and therefore some power is required and more noise is generated, aircraft DO NOT make glide approaches once on final approach, the target speed on final is determined by aircraft weight and actual wind at the airfield.

Steeper approaches are only required due to terrain constraints, such as at London City Airport. 

Departures : In the UK, there are very strict track-keeping criteria to minimise noise along with minimum heights at certain points. At Heathrow for instance, there is a lot of noise monitoring and airlines can be fined for transgressions.

As for Thailand, it is in ICAO and will arrange arrival and departure routes according to International standards, HOWEVER, noise considerations and building regulations may be completely different.

8 minutes ago, The Fat Controller said:

Landing : The normal glide path angle is 3 degrees, which equates to roughly 300 feet per mile, so at 10 miles from touchdown the aircraft with be at 3000 feet. Once descending on the glide path (normally from 3000 feet or thereabouts) flaps and landing gear are selected which increase both lift and drag and therefore some power is required and more noise is generated, aircraft DO NOT make glide approaches once on final approach, the target speed on final is determined by aircraft weight and actual wind at the airfield.

Steeper approaches are only required due to terrain constraints, such as at London City Airport. 

Departures : In the UK, there are very strict track-keeping criteria to minimise noise along with minimum heights at certain points. At Heathrow for instance, there is a lot of noise monitoring and airlines can be fined for transgressions.

As for Thailand, it is in ICAO and will arrange arrival and departure routes according to International standards, HOWEVER, noise considerations and building regulations may be completely different.

Thank you for answering the questions.

A personal attack on another member has been removed, also a reply to it. Please see the following forum rule that you agreed when you signed up.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I know some members change their user names. There was someone i think called wanderous wand ? Who was always posting about eggs, eating 10 day. Planned to walk the Samoeng loop during the hot season with a budget of 300 baht a day. Also someone called baron of thunder who lived at the end of the runway and complained about aircraft flying over. A question to the OP are these your old user names? 

58 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I know some members change their user names. There was someone i think called wanderous wand ? Who was always posting about eggs, eating 10 day. Planned to walk the Samoeng loop during the hot season with a budget of 300 baht a day. Also someone called baron of thunder who lived at the end of the runway and complained about aircraft flying over. A question to the OP are these your old user names? 

Wow! You are so smart! You got all of them right! I have a multiple personality disorder, but you figured that out. I walked the loop so often that it affected my personality, of course. I am, of course, the cheapest of Charlies and wear silly Superman costumes (except in Halloween)! Now that you have put me in your little box of people you can hate, bully, or laugh to make you feel better than you are a great guy,  you can sleep. Don't forget your meds.

3 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Wow! You are so smart! You got all of them right! I have a multiple personality disorder, but you figured that out. I walked the loop so often that it affected my personality, of course. I am, of course, the cheapest of Charlies and wear silly Superman costumes (except in Halloween). Now that you have put in you little box of people you can hate, bully, or laugh to make you feel better than you are a great guy,  you can sleep. Don't forget your meds.

I just get the same vibe as from those old posters, who just disappeared from this forum. I am not hating anyone i am just trying make sense of this thread. 

Thank you for answering the questions.

So why not answer my two basic questions.

You say you have answered them.  Please provide the quotes where you have provided the answers and I will keep quite.

Germane does not mean t(r)opical. LOL

I don't know what dictionery you are using but the OED (not online!) states;

germane

adjective relevant to a subject under consideration.

DERIVATIVES

germanely adverb

germaneness noun

ORIGIN

C17: variant of german.

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Could I be so bold enough to ask the destination of the night take-offs. And are there any landings at night?

I am not the OP but watching my FlightRadar24 app most flights that affect the OP are to the south. They predominately take off to the north and do a U Turn to the east then south which flies over the OPs area.

There are night landing but predominately from the south and would not affect the OP unless his hearing is acute as his vision.

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I am not the OP but watching my FlightRadar24 app most flights that affect the OP are to the south. They predominately take off to the north and do a U Turn to the east then south which flies over the OPs area.

There are night landing but predominately from the south and would not affect the OP unless his hearing is acute as his vision.

Ok then. Thanks for that. But I was thinking more in where they are actually going. China?? What airport in China.

I'm not trying to necessarily appease EA but surely Ch Mai airport could be an ideal place to roll out the airships that the gov' were so enthusiastic about a while back. The Airships would take a little longer to get there but that would be a great selling point for any would-be passengers.

What do TVForum posters think?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Could I be so bold enough to ask the destination of the night take-offs. And are there any landings at night?

Last night the last departure was Korean Airlines around midnight and there were no flights after that until 06:00 . Normally there are a couple of flights to China in the early hours. Chiang Mai is not a very busy airport in global terms. Its has similar passenger numbers to Bristol UK and Sacramento CA.