Airplane noise. Low flying?

EnlightenedAtheist

I am not an airplane pilot, but I notice that almost all airplanes landing and taking off routes are so low that even in Sansai, Maerim, Maejo area you can wave at the passengers from below. I understand that they (pilots/airlines) must prevent customers' ears from popping out and gradually descent or ascend, but it strikes me that maybe there might be something else going on here. Could it be that in order to save kerosene the airline companies do take the most economical route possible at the expense (pun intended) of ALL people living in CM (CMU area, Canal road area, Sansai, ...)? Are there no regulations in Western countries to minimize airplane noise by requiring them to fly higher quicker (as much as it is possible)? To make matter worse, these airplane do not fly the exact routes going to the same place (which could help in choosing dwellings to live or rent). Is it because weather and wind conditions precludes them from doing so? 

True! I could buy ear plugs. Everyone in this huge area could buy ear plugs. If so, it would make the use of a barking dog futile, which could solve one problem, I suppose, but demand a solution when the robber comes. 

True, I could do as the Romans and put up with it. Or they could put up with me since they love to put up with everything? 

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or don't choose to live near an airport!  I suspect it was there before you.

Remember the apocryphal tale of the Tourist who asked the Guide at Windsor Castle (which lies under the Heathrow flight path and was built in the 11th century ) why she built her castle so close to the airport!

I live at the end of the runway, We get a lot of aircraft noise.

I  knew this when I moved here.

Maybe relocation is required, if you think there is anything you can do about anything you have posted you are going to be wrong, except of course you can get earplugs and put up with it

Edited by ThaiPauly

40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Or don't choose to live near an airport!  I suspect it was there before you.

Remember the apocryphal tale of the Tourist who asked the Guide at Windsor Castle (which lies under the Heathrow flight path and was built in the 11th century ) why she built her castle so close to the airport!

If you read the OP, I explain that this is not about being near the airport, unless you consider Sansai being close to the airport! Try again.

40 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I live at the end of the runway, We get a lot of aircraft noise.

I  knew this when I moved here.

Maybe relocation is required, if you think there is anything you can do about anything you have posted you are going to be wrong, except of course you can get earplugs and put up with it

Thanks for the feedback.

This is not about me or where I live. It is about people living in an area from the airport all the way to Sansai who must be bothered. 

I ask specific questions in the OP. While it is true that they cannot move airports, maybe they can improve the landing and taking off angles. The question is about whether or not there are "regulations" or not in the West. I suppose, if push come to shove some people might try putting pressure on the politicians if they want to be re-elected that is (of course, promises before the elections might not come to anything, ... we know the routine, but sometimes sh*t hits the fan and someone does something.

6 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

When i was a boy dad told me to wave at the 'man in the moon' and i did so.  Just because you can wave at the airplane passing overhead means nothing, nothing at all.  I proclaim u a moaner. 

I think you missed the idea. The idea is that I am so close that I can wave at the passengers (translation: the airplane is very close ... even as far as Sansai) and so can thousands of people.

Worse! You are not answering the questions form the OP. Read it again and answer the questions. If you cannot, then don't answer. ;) 

I dont think the aircraft are flying any lower than normal but during the kings funeral all flights were taking off to the north as normal but making the right hand turn earlier than normal so as not to fly over the convention centre ( where the Kings funeral was being honoured in CM).

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

are so low that even in Sansai, Maerim, Maejo area you can wave at the passengers from below.

43 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

If you read the OP, I explain that this is not about being near the airport, unless you consider Sansai being close to the airport! Try again.

I suggest you read your own posts and try again.  If you can wave at passenger then you are close to that aircraft and the airport it took off from.

PS; aircraft are more fuel efficient the higher they fly unless the "city hop" is so close that there is no time to climb.

but I notice that almost all airplanes landing and taking off routes are so low that even in Sansai, Maerim, Maejo area you can wave at the passengers from below

44 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

and so can thousands of people.

When did you first notice this phenomena that now upsets you and thousands of others.

PS;  Do the passengers wave back?

Edited by scottiejohn

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I suggest you read your own posts and try again.  If you can wave at passenger then you are close to that aircraft and the airport it took off from.

PS; aircraft are more fuel efficient the higher they fly unless the "city hop" is so close that there is no time to climb.

I suggest you read the OP again. You are adding that I am close to the airport. This is not what the OP is stating. I am talking about ALL the WAY to SANSAI. If you do not live there, you would not know. I am exaggerating a tad when I am stating I can see passengers' nostrils. 

OP,   ICAO have tasked all governments  with gradually introducing GPS based approaches to all  ICAO registered airports in the world. Most of Europe, the UK and US are the first to do this, but all ICAO registered countries are mandated to do it by I think 2019.  It has caused some issues in the UK of which I am aware.  As a GPS based approach is far more accurate than VOR,  or radar control from the ground, and does not have the innate flexibly of other methods of approach, aircraft will always follow the same path to within metres.  Naturally this does not go down well with the people who live on the ground as they get the monotony of aircraft covering the same ground at the same height, for each approach. Lots of google info on this.  Not sure if that is the reason here, but it could be one explanation. 

Perhaps the OP encountered something unusual but I highly doubt the OP's comments that he could wave to the passengers on a commercial plane anywhere near San Sai.  I'm attaching a photo I took 10 days ago on a flight to Bangkok and you can see how high the plane is before it even crosses the Ping River.  What you see in the photo is the plane (which took off as usual to the north) swinging south toward Bangkok and you see the Nakorn Ping and Nararat bridges down there.  The second photo shows a shot to the southwest (see the airport?) which was taken after the plane continued its turn south.  

Alternatively, maybe the OP has very, very, acute vision?

Flight01.jpg

Flight02.jpg

This is not so much about me or now (as I am planning to move), but about a general concern for others. I know it is odd.

Yes!! I have this concern too. Great OP!!

Although it is a shorter distance between two points (air-ports) it is more efficient to fly higher where the air resistance is less. I asked my wife and she reckons that flying from Udon to BKK at 200 metres height all the way would be quicker. I think the opposite but she is the expert on all things Thai.

Anyway as soon as the Military launch their passenger air-ships noise will not be a prob'.

Edited by owl sees all

3 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

This is not about me or where I live. It is about people living in an area from the airport all the way to Sansai who must be bothered. 

I suppose, if push come to shove some people might try putting pressure on the politicians if they want to be re-elected that is.

Umm.. you moved to a dictatorship.   (Yes, also if you moved before recent coups)

Anyway get used to it, the coming days for Loy Krathong will be very busy, and then all during high season.  And lots more flights, even international now to/from Qatar and Ho Chi Minh.

(And then when TAT releases tourist arrival numbers that are inevitably higher, a billion Thaivisanisti make sounds of ridicule.. They must not live in San Sai.)

If you were living at your location before the airport was built, I'd sympathize with you.  
Other than that, anyone who is living on the flight path chose to live where they are living.  Don't like the noise?  Move.  Complaining?  That's just more noise. 

4 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I live Sansai. Much/most air traffic goes east U turn. But to say I can wave at the passengers....555. Can't even distinguish a window as planes are already high up. Steeper means overkill or what the official name for that is. 

Sansai , Maerim the aircraft on take off are at 5000to 6000 feet or higher.   If they turn early and follow the super highway they are at about 3000 feet over Kuangsing intersection. To see the passengers peering out of the windows you need very good eyesight or imagination.   The FR24 app will show the altitude as thy fly over.