Airplane noise. Low flying?

EnlightenedAtheist

10 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Having wasted my time reading my way through your self-centred monologues, yes you may well be an atheist.

Enlightened is not the adjective i would use for you.

You have said you have wasted your time reading my posts and others. Why do you read posts if your time is so important?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Aircraft adopt a 'cruise decent' if at all possible and if at all possible, maintain it until near touchdown.  The thrust leavers are set at idle and the aircraft slowly descends. That's the most fuel efficient way to operate.  If you try to fly low and slow it will cost fuel.   Pilots dont like to level off unless instructed to do so by ATC.   You may recall the BA crash at LHR some years back.  A B777 lost all thrust on short finals and crashed on the runway threshold.  He had been in a cruise decent for many minutes and  from high level and the fuel filters had blocked with ice. Good job he was not asked to level off  over London as it could have been much worse.  

http://charts.vacc-tha.org/VTCC/VTCC_SID_NON-RNAV_18.pdf

Interesting reading.  If you are in to these things. 

After  OP I have watch my Flightradar24 app for a time. Without knowing where original poster lives exactly it’s hard to tell but most flights seem to be around the 5000 to 8000 feet. I used to live at the north end Nimmarhemin road right under the flight path and only about 2 km from the end of the runway. Quite noisy there but I lived there 3 years. At that points most aircraft are at 2500 feet and climbing over 3000 fpm. Around the San sai area the climb rate has dropped down to around 1500 fpm. I would suggest it’s probably the number of flights that has increased the noise level not the altitude or climb rate. 

After awhile I never really noticed the noise levels in Nimmarnhemin. Mostly only “noticed” when I was watching TV and intently listening at the time an aircraft passed over. 

29 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

After  OP I have watch my Flightradar24 app for a time. Without knowing where original poster lives exactly it’s hard to tell but most flights seem to be around the 5000 to 8000 feet. I used to live at the north end Nimmarhemin road right under the flight path and only about 2 km from the end of the runway. Quite noisy there but I lived there 3 years. At that points most aircraft are at 2500 feet and climbing over 3000 fpm. Around the San sai area the climb rate has dropped down to around 1500 fpm. I would suggest it’s probably the number of flights that has increased the noise level not the altitude or climb rate. 

After awhile I never really noticed the noise levels in Nimmarnhemin. Mostly only “noticed” when I was watching TV and intently listening at the time an aircraft passed over. 

Thanks. 

It seems where I am some of them feel so close, but then 120 DB does travel far, reflects and goes through a lot of material before it is mitigated.

How about sleeping? You used ear plugs or came back to sleep when they were not flying. How about the morning? 

2 hours ago, portroyal said:

Air control staff k’now that they have to order to the plane

Do you suggest they have to modify angle descent for your convenience ? In what world do you think you live ?

"Order to the plane"?

Not for my convenience. As stated (how many times do I have to), there are potentially hundreds of thousands of people affected and they will not rock the boat (or the plane, rather). Right?

I was just trying to find out if they were doing this deliberately to save fuel. Time?

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Three flights last night between midnight and 6am, all A320's and all departing to China. They will have been at 6000 to 10000 feet over Maejo same as always. Chiang Mai is only airport with night flights in the whole of northern Thailand above Don Muang. Hundreds of thousands of square kilometres and to find yourself 10km from that one airport is it just bad luck? 

Why do some many people move to Chiang Mai with it's convenient airport and cheap flights (and associated noise) but dont want to live in places like Nan, Phrae, Fang, Nakhon Sawan, etc which have almost no aircraft noise? 

Thanks for the info.

In some ways, those are not so bad as everyone is asleep, but who knows ... maybe that might explain the odd times I wake up in the middle of the night, when I never used to. I intend to change the situation soon.

Some of us, as stated in my lengthy post, could not predict the turn of events, as stated. CM is not what it is used to, but can it be made to be better? If one does not ask questions, one does not get answers. Of course, the naysayers like to shoot down anyone who asks because they know all of the answers. They always do. When is the next Manu VS Chelsea match? Now, that is worth pondering about!

5 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I was just trying to find out if they were doing this deliberately to save fuel. Time?

Doing what deliberately?

As myself and others have said above they are following their predetermined/controlled flight plan/approach.  Unless, as again I said earlier, it is a very short hop flight then going low in either approach or take off is not economical or safe.  Even on a short "hop" they are not flying "low level".  They want a good engine fail type glide path descent rang height.

You have still not stated when this change (sudden or otherwise) happened and why you are raising it now.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Hold on the EA. Take a deep breath. I am am of the same persuasion (religiously) as your good self. 

As for Scottiejohn; he is a cradle of knowledge, wit and humour unlike many on TVForum (not you and me of course). Although he doesn't need me to speak for him one little bit.

Have a glass of single malt whiskey; and chill!!

And I have just noticed that the little pic' under your pseudonym is indeed Charles Darwin. Respect bro!!!

:sorry::sorry:

2D communication is very dangerous. I get no non-verbal and prosodic clues. One must be very careful to interpret, but I do not want to be the proverbial rug without me knowing the insider's jokes. It felt you were trying to bring me down, in a very subtle way. The last sentence did not jive with the rest and then made the other parts look like less friendly. Now, I do get what you were saying. You wanted interesting topics. You were not complaining about this being one.

Carry on the good work EA. More interesting topics please.

My apologies.

17 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Thanks. 

It seems where I am some of them feel so close, but then 120 DB does travel far, reflects and goes through a lot of material before it is mitigated.

How about sleeping? You used ear plugs or came back to sleep when they were not flying. How about the morning? 

Like I mentioned, after awhile I did not really notice them even sleeping. I never used ear plugs but mostly kept the doors and windows shut with the AC on when sleeping. I had lived in  a couple houses in that mooban and in the first house my wife left the bedroom balcony door open at night for fresh air but the noise from the bars on top of Maya kept me awake more than the aircraft did. Go figure.

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Why do some many people move to Chiang Mai with it's convenient airport and cheap flights (and associated noise) but dont want to live in places like Nan, Phrae, Fang, Nakhon Sawan, etc which have almost no aircraft noise? 

My choice for living in Chaing Mai had nothing to do with the convenience of the airport or aircraft noise or lack of.

As previously mentioned I lived in a mooban right under the flight path probably only 2km away from the end of the runway. I lived there 3 years and only moved due to the high cost of renting. I am now at the southern end of the airport albeit further away from the flightpath but can still hear them.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

You did put the word Help! in your original post.

You are a farang. You don't even have a vote in Thailand. How are you going to bring democratic change when it is none of your business.

Having wasted my time reading my way through your self-centred monologues, yes you may well be an atheist.

Enlightened is not the adjective i would use for you.

Okay! You are pissed off at the comeback I made of/to your post. I did not started.

Sure! The forces are always against change. Always. At home, it was other excuses. Here, I am a foreigner. Change, full-sweeping changes takes time, but it has to start somewhere. It starts with Thai wives or friends. It continues with them talking to others. It is called Malcom Gladwell's Tipping Point. If everyone slams me, it won't happen, of course. I do not have --according to him-- if I recall the required personality and lifestyle (hundreds of friends here or there). But, maybe someone here does. It cannot be done alone. Of course. 

That I use the word "Help"? I did, but there was no exclamation mark! You are making it sounds like I was asking for help. I wasn't. Context is everything. 

To make matter worse, these airplane do not fly the exact routes going to the same place (which could help in choosing dwellings to live or rent). Is it because weather and wind conditions precludes them from doing so? 

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

36 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Like I mentioned, after awhile I did not really notice them even sleeping. I never used ear plugs but mostly kept the doors and windows shut with the AC on when sleeping. I had lived in  a couple houses in that mooban and in the first house my wife left the bedroom balcony door open at night for fresh air but the noise from the bars on top of Maya kept me awake more than the aircraft did. Go figure.

Thanks. Oh! Sorry! 

I was perplexed that you would notice them more when you watching Tv than when you are asleep, trying to,.... 

I can only hope that my hearing goes for the worse, buy earplugs, or hope for a new airport to be built. Not likely given the number of politicians being on the wrong side of town, country, or penitentiary. Some of them have been shot, which does not help either.

On 30/10/2017 at 2:41 PM, EnlightenedAtheist said:

To make matter worse, these airplane do not fly the exact routes going to the same place (which could help in choosing dwellings to live or rent).

I am not sure about here in thailand, and specifically Chiang Mai but where I lived in Brisbane, Australia they do this on purpose. Why? To share the noise around. If they took the exact same flight paths the same people would get all the noise so they do alter the flight paths slightly to share the noise. I am referring to low landing and taking off aircraft. I always wondered why we often went a different way on coming into landing in Brissy so I did some research and hence my comments here. There is a website you can go onto in Brisbane and see live sound levels at certain points on the flight paths. 

15 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I was perplexed that you would notice them more when you watching Tv than when you are asleep, trying to,.... 

Yep, don’t really understand myself. One of my personal idiosyncrasies (spelling?) I guess.

i only noticed them if I was intently listening what was being said on tv. 

33 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I am not sure about here in thailand, and specifically Chiang Mai but where I lived in Brisbane, Australia they do this on purpose. Why? To share the noise around. If they took the exact same flight paths the same people would get all the noise so they do alter the flight paths slightly to share the noise. I am referring to low landing and taking off aircraft. I always wondered why we often went a different way on coming into landing in Brissy so I did some research and hence my comments here. There is a website you can go onto in Brisbane and see live sound levels at certain points on the flight paths. 

Very interesting! Thanks!

I guess that would be quite "fair".  And maybe they are doing the same here. My wife noticed that they avoid "hospitals", which is preferable (LOL). Of course, hospitals have ambulances that are noisy, although I notice that they are quieter here. Maybe they have other no-fly zones, grey-zones, and go crazy-zones. The no-fly zones would be high-ranking officials and people in the know.

In the oversea city I lived, there was a whole ocean for the planes to land and lift off from. No such luxury in CM, of course. The bowl like structure probably makes things worse. The only option is earplugs, white noise (fan, a/c), hearing loss, choosing an area (but it will be a compromise and difficult to achieve optimal or near optimal levels), and/or building using the best soundproofing methods (room within a room seems to work in most cases). In spite of all that glass, they can soundproof airports, albeit with background music playing and tons of people speaking. 

21 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Yes, but the OP talks about a different location (10 kms away), so ... your anecdote --while interesting-- does not confirm or contradict mine.

But I moved from San Sai where I lived for a number of years so both ends of the runway are in my knowledge base.

12 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Very interesting! Thanks!

I guess that would be quite "fair".  And maybe they are doing the same here. My wife noticed that they avoid "hospitals", which is preferable (LOL). Of course, hospitals have ambulances that are noisy, although I notice that they are quieter here. Maybe they have other no-fly zones, grey-zones, and go crazy-zones. The no-fly zones would be high-ranking officials and people in the know.

In the oversea city I lived, there was a whole ocean for the planes to land and lift off from. No such luxury in CM, of course. The bowl like structure probably makes things worse. The only option is earplugs, white noise (fan, a/c), hearing loss, choosing an area (but it will be a compromise and difficult to achieve optimal or near optimal levels), and/or building using the best soundproofing methods (room within a room seems to work in most cases). In spite of all that glass, they can soundproof airports, albeit with background music playing and tons of people speaking. 

Living in Thailand means one has to accept noises either from cars, bikes, temples, phuyai baan's loudspeakers, markets, dogs, frogs, planes, parties going on for a week night and day and so on.

I live near a military airport. Twice a day between 4 and 10 fighter jets, causing deafening noise are passing over our house. Just wonder how the schools are coping with this.

Teachers will have to stop talking for minutes until the planes are out of hearing distance.

Nobody seems to care.

7 hours ago, maximillian said:

Living in Thailand means one has to accept noises either from cars, bikes, temples, phuyai baan's loudspeakers, markets, dogs, frogs, planes, parties going on for a week night and day and so on.

I live near a military airport. Twice a day between 4 and 10 fighter jets, causing deafening noise are passing over our house. Just wonder how the schools are coping with this.

Teachers will have to stop talking for minutes until the planes are out of hearing distance.

Nobody seems to care.

Thanks for that! Amazing the school situation! 

It is brainwashed into them by all the institutions and the culture. The temples? The monks? The metanarrative is repeated ad nauseam. It is in the West too, but to a lesser degree, I think. Still, look at the reaction here from many foreigners. Few do care. Many are seeing the issue as an individual one. Few care. I guess it rubs off after a while. It is hard to fight that collective force. That emotional control is very useful. Think pollution. Think blatant abuse or exploitation. Think censorship ... in many places (wink, wink). Emotions and communication are repressed or restricted. Dictatorships or oligarchies make that happen, of course. And let's not kid ourselves. Western countries are not immuned to these kinds of controls over-reaching in areas that were once private. The threat of terrorism has used the purpose of many. It is going to take a miracle, but I don't believe in those. It needs to start somewhere. I was just trying to assert the depth of the issue. Thanks for the anecdotes.

8 hours ago, maximillian said:

Modern airliners are far less noisy then in the 1970ies and 80ies.

Remember the old Caravelle ?  The Boing 727 and 737 ?  The DC-10 ? 

I would not know, but thanks for the info.

Is that all elements taken into account? I mean if an airplane must flight at a lower altitude or have their route angle off in a different manner, that absolute value becomes a very relative number.

My meter shows 60 to 70 DB levels when they pass over houses in some areas. It is less than 80, I guess! Is it acceptable, though? Can it be mitigated (not at a personal level, but at a collective level)?

Your proclivity for somewhat turgid verbosity, convoluting an unequivocal aviation contention that thrust equates to disquietude is rather more indicative of a surfeit of temporal lassitude, as opposed to an inclination towards erudition via this medium.