Saudi Arabia to let women enter sports stadiums in 2018

webfact

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Women walk in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, May 10, 2017. REUTERS/Faisal Al Nasser/Files

DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia will for the first time allow women to attend sports events in three selected stadiums from early next year, the General Sports Authority said in a statement.

The stadiums in Jeddah, Dammam and Riyadh are being prepared to accommodate families in early 2018, said the statement, carried by the state-run Saudi Press Agency late on Sunday.

Last month Saudi Arabia announced that, from June, women would be allowed to drive cars, ending the world's only ban on female driving.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's Vision 2030 reform program aims to open up Saudis’ cloistered lifestyles, shaped in part by a strict, conservative version of Sunni Islam that limits the role of women, and diversify the economy away from oil.

(Reporting by Hadeel Al Sayegh; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-30

Yet it's doubtful they can go without a male chaperone.   

If a Saudi single mom doesn't have a husband, father or brother to accompany her to go outside the house, then (if she has a son), ....her son can be that chaperone.  If she has no children or only daughters, tough tamales, honey - you and your daughters are stuck in the house.   Makes it tough to get food.   

I'll never forget the story I heard, which took place in S.Arabia.  A girls' school was on fire.  Students were huddled behind a back door, which was locked, so they couldn't exit.  Firemen showed up and were ready to bash down the door with axes, but lo.....

Muslim men showed up and wouldn't allow the firemen to do their jobs.  They blocked their access to the door.  Their reason:  They couldn't abide by men being in proximity to girls.  Screaming could be heard from behind the locked door.  The girls roasted to death.

If I was a father to any of those girls, I would have hunted down the extremists who blocked the firemen, and killed them one by one, by slowly strangling them with my hands, or ripping their throats out.  I have a strong grip on my left hand, due to playing guitar for 50 yrs.  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

my first thought: must be for a stoning..., nope that's Pakistan. Hmm, Saudi Arabia - must be a sanding, then..., or oiling?

Edited by klauskunkel

Now women can drive alone and go to sports events alone.  great  what is not reported is that if a lone woman gets into an accident or her team looses, then they are subject to normal & routine punishment - stoning if old /ugly or rape if between 16 & 40.  while not reported, these normal 'activities' will ensure that these western concepts take a century to become common. 

& don't forget the license -  what picture to take?  open face - arrested for sin.   Covered head - arrested if not wearing the SAME ONE AS IN THE LICENSE.  

but its a good step while we prepare for ww3.

18 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

my first thought: must be for a stoning..., nope that's Pakistan. Hmm, Saudi Arabia - must be a sanding, then..., or oiling?

No they still have stoning's for women according to friends who still live there. Big dumper truck comes and off loads huge rocks, on top of you. Either way letting women into 'selected sporting stadiums' is hardly suffragette worthy.

So  the country is moving forward. At the rate they are going they maybe allowed to be served in a shop before a man, if they were their first. By the end of this century.  I bet the ladies of Saudi are doing back flips at this new freedom.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

17 hours ago, portroyal said:

Shocking !

They first allowed them to drive our cars and now go into our stadiums !

Saudi Arabia is following the bad western rules...

Exactly!

What next?

They may even allow fathers to swim in the same swimming pool as there daughters when the daughters are over 10 years old!