The Thai Embassy In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Today

I checked the opening hours of the Thai embassy in KL before I went. It has changed compared to what I read in this forum. The opning hours are:

Apply for visa 09.30 to 11.30

Pick up visa 11.30 to 12.30

I had read the embassy was open for applications till 12 and thought I had plenty of time when I arrived. I barely made it in as the last one at 11.28. I was number 126 that day, according to my ticket. 46 people were in front of me in line.

Another correction to what I have read here earlier: they only want one passport photo. I gave them two and one was returned right away as not needed.

The lady behind the counter asked me where in Thailand I would stay. I said Bangkok and she wrote BKK on my application. This was the only question she had.

My application was for a 60 day tourist visa, single entry. I wrote "holiday" as reason for going to Thailand. I had four 30-day entry stamps in my passport since the 1st of October, making me a back to back visa exemption on arrival person, but this didn't seem to matter. Nor did it matter that I had just arrived in Malaysia from Thailand on an obvious visa run.

I went to the embassy the next day. The security guards at the gate hand out the results so the visa officers don't have to face the music when someone is denied. I noticed Western passport holders were in a stack marked "A". Malaysians, Indians, Africans et al were "B", a much bigger stack.

They gave me my 60 day tourist visa, single entry.

The security guards at the gate hand out the results so the visa officers don't have to face the music when someone is denied.

Thanks for the update but why is it necessary to be negative when they treated you perfectly well? In fact, you are supposed to provide your address in Thailand on that application form. They cut you some slack.

What makes you think the security guards hand back the passports so the visa officers "don't have to face the music?"

Maybe, just maybe..... this is more efficient?

I hope you at least had the good manners to say thank you to the security guards. In my experience, they are very pleasant, good humoured and easy to deal with.

By the way, everything I have ever read here about KL, like every other Thai embassy and consulate, has indicated to arrive early. In fact, that pretty well counts for most consular business anywhere.

I have always given my address in Thailand on visa application forms earlier. But on the form they gave me it said "address of guarantor in Thailand" or something similar. I don't have a guarantor. I could not see they asked for my address - and I was prepared to give them that.

This is from memory. It is always possible I misunderstood something. I don't have a copy of the application I gave them, otherwise I could check and tell you exactly what the form said.

Edited by Silomfarang

I checked the opening hours of the Thai embassy in KL before I went. It has changed compared to what I read in this forum. The opning hours are:

Apply for visa 09.30 to 11.30

Pick up visa 11.30 to 12.30

I had read the embassy was open for applications till 12 and thought I had plenty of time when I arrived. I barely made it in as the last one at 11.28. I was number 126 that day, according to my ticket. 46 people were in front of me in line.

Another correction to what I have read here earlier: they only want one passport photo. I gave them two and one was returned right away as not needed.

The lady behind the counter asked me where in Thailand I would stay. I said Bangkok and she wrote BKK on my application. This was the only question she had.

My application was for a 60 day tourist visa, single entry. I wrote "holiday" as reason for going to Thailand. I had four 30-day entry stamps in my passport since the 1st of October, making me a back to back visa exemption on arrival person, but this didn't seem to matter. Nor did it matter that I had just arrived in Malaysia from Thailand on an obvious visa run.

I went to the embassy the next day. The security guards at the gate hand out the results so the visa officers don't have to face the music when someone is denied. I noticed Western passport holders were in a stack marked "A". Malaysians, Indians, Africans et al were "B", a much bigger stack.

Was there any talk of them limiting themselves to 100 customers per day? I was told this by someone I know who was there in December and did not get a visa renewed because of it.

I went to the embassy the next day. The security guards at the gate hand out the results so the visa officers don't have to face the music when someone is denied.

Incorrect...

if your visa request is denied you will be informed at the time of application as different fees apply to the different visas.

Also it advisable to arrive early. The gates of the embassy open at 9am. They open the doors of the visa office at 9:30. And the time zone in Malaysia is +1 hour.

If I could ask, what was the rough total cost of the visa run including transport(flight?) and visa cost? Thanks,

Zach.

Where are you traveling from?

What kind of accommodations do you prefer?

You've heard of Google right! :o

I was just curious as to the route you chose thant all. No worries.

Airfare last year on Malaysia Air was around 7600 baht R/T from Phuket.

A four star hotel in KL runs about 250-300 ringit a night.

The train ride from the airport is 30 ringit

Taxi fare to the Pricess hotel 10 Ringit.

A can of Carlsberg special at the grocery store 4.8 ringit

Mutton Curry and rice 8 ringit.

Edited by kasi

:D There always has to be one. :D:o

If I could ask, what was the rough total cost of the visa run including transport(flight?) and visa cost? Thanks,

Zach.

Cost of my trip was over 10 000 baht. Maybe around 12 000.

5 000 ticket on Air Asia Bangkok - KL return,

500 airport tax in Bangkok,

1500 per night budget hotel (two nights),

1000 baht fee to the Thai embassy,

the rest was taxies, restaurants etc.

The Guarantor address is only if you are applying for a Non-Immigrant visa.

I am not sure of the fares for KL,

but Air Asia flies BKK - Penang and the round trip fare can be as low as 3000 baht.

How can you have four 30 days stamps since October? Where did you get the fourth stamp? Three 30 days stamps would still be legal since it no more than 90 days per 180 days on 30 day visa-on-arrival stamps and you will still be able to apply for a 60 days tourist visa which is not against the new law. So, if you really have a fourth 30 days stamp then you were lucky since then...

How can you have four 30 days stamps since October? Where did you get the fourth stamp? Three 30 days stamps would still be legal since it no more than 90 days per 180 days on 30 day visa-on-arrival stamps and you will still be able to apply for a 60 days tourist visa which is not against the new law. So, if you really have a fourth 30 days stamp then you were lucky since then...

I did not use the full 30 days for each stamp. Once I only stayed in Thailand for 15 days before leaving the country. When I came back I got another 30 day stamp even if I had three already.

Edited by Silomfarang

I did not use the full 30 days for each stamp. Once I only stayed in Thailand for 15 days before leaving the country. When I came back I got another 30 day stamp even if I had three already.

So my guess is that you didn't exceed the 90 days limits in 180 days using 30 days stamp which is legal. Yes, I remember now, they are not counting the number of stamps but the number of days you actually stayed. They were right giving you the 60 days visa according to the new law. Your next visa run will be the +30 days extension when you 60 days visa expires. This is legal.

I have always given my address in Thailand on visa application forms earlier. But on the form they gave me it said "address of guarantor in Thailand" or something similar. I don't have a guarantor. I could not see they asked for my address - and I was prepared to give them that.

This is from memory. It is always possible I misunderstood something. I don't have a copy of the application I gave them, otherwise I could check and tell you exactly what the form said.

The Address of Guarantor

I recently went to do a B visa and my nephew was doing a tourist visa. We asked the security guy about the guarantor section and he told us both to put the address of the hotel we were staying at.

So my guess is that you didn't exceed the 90 days limits in 180 days using 30 days stamp which is legal. Yes, I remember now, they are not counting the number of stamps but the number of days you actually stayed. They were right giving you the 60 days visa according to the new law. Your next visa run will be the +30 days extension when you 60 days visa expires. This is legal.

When I arrived at Don Muang for the 4th time since the 1st of October they marked my 30 day entry stamp with a red pen. The three first 30 day entry stamps were marked with green.

When the 60 days on my tourist visa are up I will go to Immigration in Bangkok, pay 1900 baht and get it extended by another 30 days till a total of 90. I hope this still works.

Edited by Silomfarang

The cost of knowing you have secured another 90 days in thailand priceless..

For everything else.. Theres Elite card

:o

The cost of knowing you have secured another 90 days in thailand priceless..

For everything else.. Theres Elite card

:D

Excellent :o

only if you're a standard issue lazy farang fatass (i.e. your typical thai bar girl's waist is about the size of your thigh, haha) would you take a taxi to the thai embassy in KL...totally and comfortably accessible by two rapid transit lines from Bukit Bintang (where all the farangs tend to stay), coupled with a--shudder!--kilometer or so walk from the nearest train station. although when I did the visa run last month, I walked the 3 or so miles from Bukit Bintang, very refreshing if you're used to living in thailand: nice wide sidewalks, no vendors clogging them, and the malaysians actually know how to WALK (as opposed to the standard thai method of museum-viewing pace, two steps to either the right or the left for every 3 steps forward...you expats all know the drill).

my experience at the embassy resonates with all the reports here. get there early, 8:30 is preferred. I was annoyed at the fact that all but one of the staff at the windows were ######ing malays...only one thai guy was working, and he had this great system figured out--in typical thai work-shirking fashion--to avoid actually DOING anything: he set his computer at his window to continually call for two numbered tickets that didn't exist, hence he just got to sit there and stare into space while the malays--who can't speak thai, to my great disappointment--did all the work...haha, gotta love those thai males.

the only probing question I was asked was, "what are you doing in thailand?" (no doubt spurred by my FAT mother######ing passport, two extra sets of pages added for all my thirty day stays over the past 4 years)...but I got my single entry tourist visa, no prob...

preahko

===============================================================================

but Air Asia flies BKK - Penang and the round trip fare can be as low as 3000 baht.

===============================================================================

I've paid THB 3,328, leaving on the 24th, going back on the 27th.

Did that on the 4th of January.

Flew with Air Asia: 4900 return from Bangkok

Bus from the airport 8 ringgits (yellow bus). If you take the train you have to change from KL LLC to KLIA and this is not very convenient and takes time.

Stayed in medium range accommodation 100 Ringit / day (inc. breakfast) 2 minutes to Bukit Bintang at The Season View Hotel. For those in the know, looks like the Pinnacle in Bangkok + 10 years rundown. There are two other brand new hotels nearby that could be worth trying.

Took a taxi to the Embassy for 4.8 ringgits. Just take one in the street, the one waiting will try to charge you 15 ringgits. And no I don't have a fat stool bar arse. I simply don't see why I should not take a taxi when it cost no more than 50 Baht and you can have a chance to talk to a “local”... Beside, I don't have sewed jeans pockets with urchin in them...

Arrived at 9:15 and got number 52, then by some Thai mystery, a guy who arrive after me went before me! Don't ask...

I have 2 double entry tourist visas, several 30 days stamps and asked for a double entry visa. The woman behind the window said she would have to look at my passport first and she gave me a single entry visa. An Italian guy just before me got a double entry. He only had one 30 days stamp in his passport. So it is still possible.

The last window is for Thai this is why the guy behind it seems to be doing nothing. Clever people would have noticed that numbers start with letter A or B.

The next day got my passport back from the entrance and strangely enough there was no queue. The day before about 30 people were waiting to collect their passport.

Enjoyed a fish and ships for 40 RM (with drink, rather pricy but did not have one for at least 18 months!) otherwise ate in the street like I do in BKK for 5-7 RM.

All in all, a relatively good time

[sandy]

Edited by s.pylos

• 2 weeks later...
I checked the opening hours of the Thai embassy in KL before I went. It has changed compared to what I read in this forum. The My application was for a 60 day tourist visa, single entry. I wrote "holiday" as reason for going to Thailand. I had four 30-day entry stamps in my passport since the 1st of October, making me a back to back visa exemption on arrival person, but this didn't seem to matter. Nor did it matter that I had just arrived in Malaysia from Thailand on an obvious visa run.

Hi SilomFarang,

I was wondering if you had inquired whether you could get a multiple entry visa at all?

Do u or anyone else know if the costs of the Tourist Visas are a fixed cost in the different neighbouring countries & if so, what are the costs?

Also, can i ask how much did you pay for the 60day visa? & if you know how much does a multiple entry visa costs?

Thanks in advance....

Edited by wrazoru