Best Central BKK Condos

mike888

1 hour ago, BuddyDean said:

I don't like the rogue cops around Thong Lot.  Also, everything is inflated around there, including a lot of chests, both female and male.  Never heard of anyone having a problem with girls in condos (except for having to change locks).  Our sign says "socially unacceptable behavior is not allowed," so should be fine.  You can bank on then knowing who your guests are..it is a favorite pastime of condo personnel.  Mostly harmless.  Person ally, I would get off Sukhumvit with any budget...there are some great areas along MRT, and Sathorn BTS, as well.  Do you really want to be in tourist' crowds every time you leave your apartment?

Some great tips and I really appreciate it. Yes I wanted to avoid Thong Lo as it seems cops harass all foreigners to make some quick cash, and there are checkpoints where foreigners in taxis pulled over. Not a fan of these police state type tactics but you cant win em all.

I hear you about moving to other less tourist areas. .For sure prices are inflated and there will be a lot of scammers. It seems phrom phong is less touristy than asoke. Someone I know also mentioned Aree by victory monument but seems kinda out of the way.

While I dont want/need to be around tourists I do want to be around people who speak some english, and almost all the restos/clubs I go are between Asoke/Phrom Phong anyway so thought it would be a good place to start looking.

Sathorn seems nice but isnt it mainly a business district and dead at night?

Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by mike888

You're welcome.  A friend really likes Robin Hood Pub, he lives at Ekami, in a studio he bought 8 years ago for 300K...you might even know him.  Much more higher end stuff around Ekami nowadays, but less touristy.  I say go middle of the road and you will find some great people that are fun to party with, but like many..just gave up on Nana raunch...but we still love cold beers and hot chicks.  You might find us down at cowboy or Nana rarely, for a good promo(almost never nowadays), but there are simply much better places to hang out.

Edited by BuddyDean

Just now, BuddyDean said:

You're welcome.  A friend really likes Robin Hood Pub, he lives at Ekami, in a studio he bought 8 years ago for 300K...you might even know him.  Much more higher end stuff around Ekami nowadays, but less touristy.  I say go middle of the road and you will find some great people that are fun to party with, but like many..just gave up on Nana raunch...but we still love cold beers and hot chicks.  You might find us down at cowboy or Nana rarely, for a good promo(almost never nowadays), but there are simply much better places to hang out.

Oh really Buddy?

Tell us about all the great bars, restaurants,  coffee sops and entertainment venues at ekamai.

I want to check them out.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh really Buddy?

Tell us about all the great bars, restaurants,  coffee sops and entertainment venues at ekamai.

I want to check them out.

Thanks

I WAWS talking about higher end housing, away from the Asok warriors, and good proximity to where the OP hangs out, with less exposure to the Keystone Cops.  The more people need to be told when and where to enjoy a good time in BKK, the less likely they are to have one or me tell them.  I can name 100 better places to go in BKK than lower Sukhumvit, till I am blue in the face, but if you are still looking for something that used to be...I will save my breath.  And none of them sell imitation British pig slop or hot dogs and eggs or even "voddie coke," and some only have a Thai name, if at all.

54 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

I WAWS talking about higher end housing, away from the Asok warriors, and good proximity to where the OP hangs out, with less exposure to the Keystone Cops.  The more people need to be told when and where to enjoy a good time in BKK, the less likely they are to have one or me tell them.  I can name 100 better places to go in BKK than lower Sukhumvit, till I am blue in the face, but if you are still looking for something that used to be...I will save my breath.  And none of them sell imitation British pig slop or hot dogs and eggs or even "voddie coke," and some only have a Thai name, if at all.

Uh, no you were not.  You were bad mouthing NANA as "raunch" and saying there are much better places, hot chicks, cold better, and people that are fun to party with and much better places to hang out.  Those are your words.

I would really like to know where those places are.  Do you have any idea?

I have lived in Thong Lor on and off for the best part of 2 years, I have only ever been stopped once and that was at Ekamai bus station. I would also say there are more tourists to be seen in Ekamai due to the shopping mall there than there is in Thong lor.

Phrom pong isn't Thong lor.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Uh, no you were not.  You were bad mouthing NANA as "raunch" and saying there are much better places, hot chicks, cold better, and people that are fun to party with and much better places to hang out.  Those are your words.

I would really like to know where those places are.  Do you have any idea?

Any place with cold beer is going to be better than a transvestite circus operated by boiler room operators...and if that isn't bad enough, they actively fix prices, so there isn't any drinking value, either, maybe that is why it is so easy to tell they are dudes.  Cowboy is a place for Chinese tourists to go and see the place from the movie.  The prison tattoo brigade has their places; I have mine.  If you like Africans, Arabs, Trans, Chinese..then Sukhumvit is your place...enjoy.

i can see this thread is getting exciting.  keep in mind that the thonglor police do most of their 'work' on the late night check point set up on asoke btwn rama IV and sukhumvit (and tend to target farangs in taxis).  i have a friend that lived in thonglor.  he liked it alot.  he is more interested in sushi restaurants than women.  he also doesn't drink.  he has now moved to tokyo !!

to the OP, you've got the right idea.  asoke-phrom phong (where i live).  if you stay longer than a year, you can take the plunge into some of the other areas (aree, sathorn, thonglor, etc..).  but this is the spot to get started, without a doubt.

the auguston on soi 22 might work for you.  a little far down the soi from sukhumvit.  i used to stay at the president park hotel and watched the auguston get built (8-10 yrs ago).  i've seen some interesting decor in those units as i often check rental listings in the area.  surely 'designer' but such design might not fit your style !! 

in my opinion, you've totally screwed yourself if you don't enjoy nana and cowboy in your youth.  used to be better, but still alot more fun than most big cities around the world.  and i don't know what is going on with this one person who claims any place with cold beer is better.   

1 hour ago, BuddyDean said:

Any place with cold beer is going to be better than a transvestite circus operated by boiler room operators...and if that isn't bad enough, they actively fix prices, so there isn't any drinking value, either, maybe that is why it is so easy to tell they are dudes.  Cowboy is a place for Chinese tourists to go and see the place from the movie.  The prison tattoo brigade has their places; I have mine.  If you like Africans, Arabs, Trans, Chinese..then Sukhumvit is your place...enjoy.

Yawn...

You have no clue do you?

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yawn...

You have no clue do you?

You must not be old enough to recall the 300 THB unlimited Heineken's from 16:00 to 20:00, let alone the DJ selling sacks for 300 THB out of a top floor place.  And a juice glass full of Grand Mariner was 50 THB.  All turned to <deleted>, when the boiler room operators came.  

I have lived just off Thonglor for the best part of 10 years, am around there daily as are a group of friends who also live around there. i have never been stopped by any police, and neither have any of my friends, or if they have it was so insignificant that they did not mention it.

Buddydean, what was your old username? Fruitman? Khon Kaen Dave

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have lived just off Thonglor for the best part of 10 years, am around there daily as are a group of friends who also live around there. i have never been stopped by any police, and neither have any of my friends, or if they have it was so insignificant that they did not mention it.

Buddydean, what was your old username? Fruitman? Khon Kaen Dave

As long as you and your partner are happy...but perhaps google Thong Lor scam and have a read.

19 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

As long as you and your partner are happy...but perhaps google Thong Lor scam and have a read.

Why do i need to google, i have lived there for 10 years. I have also seen the stories, but have never seen it myself or indeed friends who also live there.