Which old sam galaxy s should buy ?

bow

My wife and daughter already have at least 3 sam galaxy s phones (!) It seems logical that i get one too. (Besides my old nokia which i will never part with.) Which one should i go for between 1 in 2010 and 7 in 2016 ? Dont want 8. 

You will part with the Nokia when no longer able to receive calls.  How long will 2G work in Thailand?  3 or 4G will give you a lot better reception.  My wife uses a Galaxy S7 and A5.  The A5 for knock around in the factory.  I use a Note 4 and Galaxy S5.  Note 4 and S5 are both available new or refurbushed. New Nokia 3310 with 4G is also available.  What is your budget?

I really like my S5, had a couple of S3's before that and the wife has an S4 mini. The S3's were good for a couple of years but then just went dark, turns out they have a flawed chip in them that burns and is expensive to replace. The s4 mini has been good too but the S5 has a nicer feel and larger screen.

Haven't had the S5 too long, my friends call me "the Bermuda triangle for phones" my luck with phones is so bad, so if it lasts for me it has to be bullet proof. Bought it on e-bay for 136$ new a few months ago.

I would agree with the above recommends for the S5. I have had one from it's release to now without any problems and with no reason to change or upgrade. One very robust phone!

Battery life (original) is starting to show signs of wear but a full charge is still good for at least a full day (for me anyway).

7 hours ago, bow said:

Budget the cheaper the better. I might add that i prefer a new old model to a 2nd hand newer model. Thais can be very destructive. 

I would never buy a second hand phone from a Thai.

Over the years I've had S4, S6 and now I have an S7 Edge. Even though 7 Edge is a year and a half old, it's not easy to find bargains, while S6 is a great phone and a lot cheaper than S7 Edge.

I have had an S3, S4, S5, S6Edge and I have to say the S5 was great. You could buy a new battery for 700 baht from Samsung. It was also waterproof as long as Samsung worked on it. Now I have an S8 ans S8+ as well as a J7, but the S5 was better and cheaper.

My back up battery always charged for S5 and case and bluetooth earphone and will operate OK Google and make and receive calls and listen to music Deezer of Spotify and stop when getting a call. Download a movie on netflix and cast it to your tv and listen with the earphone all the while being able to answer and make calls.

s5 battery.jpg

neo hybrid.jpg

bluetooth.jpg

Edited by amvet

10 hours ago, bow said:

Budget the cheaper the better. I might add that i prefer a new old model to a 2nd hand newer model. Thais can be very destructive. 

Samsung Galaxy GT-S5830 We got two ,got them in May 2012  Still as good as new only replaced the Batt batt can last up to 4days if you don't use the phone up to 8 days Still can pick them up New for around THB 5000  :thumbsup:

I have s5 sm g900f. Its the international model upgraded to 6.0.1 running knox 2.6 bought in thailand. Waterproof to 1m shockproof. Will replace the battery soon. Great phone. Not sure how much they would be secondhand but good phone.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Forget those get the Samsung J7 Pro, very nice phone, will likely do everything you need. Circ 9,000

I got a J7 and have no complaints. It was more than half the price of the S7 at the time and does everything I need. TV Tech recently had an article and one of those mobs that test phones rated the S7 a better phone than the iphone 8.

I got a J7 and have no complaints. It was more than half the price of the S7 at the time and does everything I need. TV Tech recently had an article and one of those mobs that test phones rated the S7 a better phone than the iphone 8.
People naturally like the idea of buying the best but in most cases it just isn't required. J7 Pro is perfect for me. I don't use Samsung Pay, the fingerprint tech works well

It's true the S5 might be a great choice for low budget, replacement battery, water resistance, but it has an old OS, likely KitKat. I'd search around for a new S6, good bang for your buck these days and will support your near future needs.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, wcoast said:

It's true the S5 might be a great choice for low budget, replacement battery, water resistance, but it has an old OS, likely KitKat. I'd search around for a new S6, good bang for your buck these days and will support your near future needs.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

S5 upgrades to Marshmallow as soon as you turn it on.  Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 only one step higher right now to 7.0 Nougat.  It upgraded about a year ago if memory serves me correctly.   The factory S7 comes with Marshmallow up gradable to Nougat.

Edited by amvet

5 hours ago, amvet said:

S5 upgrades to Marshmallow as soon as you turn it on.  Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 only one step higher right now to 7.0 Nougat.  It upgraded about a year ago if memory serves me correctly.   The factory S7 comes with Marshmallow up gradable to Nougat.

Will the S5 upgrade to Marshmallow automatically even if the phone is unlocked ? 

14 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

I have the 7+edge and it is brilliant. Best way to select is have a play with them all but my recommendation is the 7

Although there is a common fault of developing a blue line down the screen.

I have had the regular S7 for a year and it has been a good phone... but I believe it is overpriced, even now. I would get a new model, maybe a J7+

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

Will the S5 upgrade to Marshmallow automatically even if the phone is unlocked ? 

It depends on your settings.  Go to about device and click or unclick update automatically depending on what you want.  I'd rather check mine myself but up to you.  What's the difference between Kit Kat Lollipop and Marshmallow? Marshmallow allows you to transfer many apps to your external memory card.  I use a 64K card but I think you can go up to 128.  The INTERNET reports on that are not always correct.  Try and see. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Although there is a common fault of developing a blue line down the screen.

I have had the regular S7 for a year and it has been a good phone... but I believe it is overpriced, even now. I would get a new model, maybe a J7+

S7's on Lazada between 14,000 and 22,000 a lot of choices.  J7 much lower the screen resolution.