Britain's defence minister resigns in growing harassment scandal

webfact

Britain's defence minister resigns in growing harassment scandal

By William James and Elizabeth Piper

tag_reuters.jpg

Britain's Secretary of State for Defence Sir Michael Fallon addresses the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, October 3, 2017. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - British defence minister Michael Fallon quit on Wednesday saying his conduct had fallen below the high standards demanded of his position, the first resignation in a sexual harassment scandal in parliament.

Prime Minister Theresa May, weakened after losing her parliamentary majority in a June election, loses a loyalist at a time when she is trying to break a deadlock in talks to leave the European Union. Fallon was described by sources in her ruling Conservative Party as a political "Rottweiler".

His was the first high-profile resignation after a growing number of allegations of inappropriate behaviour have been made against ministers and lawmakers, fuelled by sex abuse allegations against Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein.

Fallon apologised earlier this week for touching a radio presenter's knee in 2002 - something the woman in question described on social media as "mildly amusing".

In his letter of resignation to May, he said there had been many allegations about lawmakers in recent days, including "some about my previous conduct".

"Many of these have been false but I accept that in the past I have fallen below the high standards that we require of the armed forces that I have the honour to represent," he said.

"I have reflected on my position and I am therefore resigning as defence secretary."

May replied in a letter saying she appreciated "the characteristically serious manner" in which Fallon had considered his position and "the particular example you wish to set to servicemen and women and others".

Local media said his replacement would be announced on Thursday. A spokesman said it would not happen on Wednesday.

The growing scandal could damage May if there are further allegations against members of her party as it relies on a small Northern Irish party for a majority in parliament.

Allegations of sexual abuse have ranged from a charge of rape by an activist in the opposition Labour Party by a senior party member, to unconfirmed details of serial "sex pests" on a list reportedly drafted by aides and researchers in parliament.

On Monday, May sat beside the leader of the House of Commons Andrea Leadsom as she set out the government's plans to tackle sexual harassment, including measures to enforce a code of conduct and to set up an independent grievance procedure.

May has ordered investigations into a report that one of her ministers asked a female secretary to buy sex toys and an allegation her deputy, Damian Green, made an inappropriate sexual advance on a young woman - something he denies.

The prime minister, who has long championed the careers of female lawmakers, said on Wednesday that action would be taken when there were allegations and evidence of sexual misconduct.

"I am very clear that we will take action against those where there are allegations that we see, and the evidence is there, that there has been misconduct," May told lawmakers.

(Writing by Elizabeth Piper and William James; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-02

The witch hunt has began, anyone who's someone and ever looked at a woman with a cock-eye or god forbid, touched her hand or knee is now branded a deprived, sic sex monger, I wonder how many of those accusers have willingly put themselves in a position where they knew that in order to move up the ladder of fame they had to sacrifice their virtues, many, i bet, but now they all jumping on the bang wagon pointing fingers, maybe they get famous now, or even some money....

It's the latest craze - accusations of sexual harassment against someone famous.

But reals sexual abusers, like Clinton,  Trump (allegedly), certain British politicians, past, deceased and present, seem to get away with impunity.

There was undoubtedly much inappropriate sexual behavior in the 70's. I saw a lot when I first started work and, like the racism and bigotry prevalent at the time, it had to be stopped.

But lumping it all together rather than categorizing the severity is silly. But the PC zealots will seize on it as another thing to champion their vision of a perfect world which we all must conform to.

And while the circus goes on, the real culprits get away under the radar.

Expect more revelations in Sunday's UK tabloids; the traditional time for dishing the dirtiest of the dirt. There will be a fair few MPs having sleepless nights, wondering if their past indiscretions are about to be revealed.

On Monday I heard a spokes person for a political party call for inquiry into criminal activities regarding rape, harassment and sexual assault... 

A very clever choice of words, I suspect much of what actually happened fell just short of being illegal, more in to a category of "inappropriate behaviour"  IE if this was at work one could expect disciplinary action, yet with MP's aids and researchers many of whom are interns are advised to report it to party whips, many complaints that the party whips advise not to rock the boat, and now claims the whips use it to blackmail the MP's.   

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

The witch hunt has began, anyone who's someone and ever looked at a woman with a cock-eye or god forbid, touched her hand or knee is now branded a deprived, sic sex monger, I wonder how many of those accusers have willingly put themselves in a position where they knew that in order to move up the ladder of fame they had to sacrifice their virtues, many, i bet, but now they all jumping on the bang wagon pointing fingers, maybe they get famous now, or even some money....

Do you really think that he jumped because of touching a woman's knee god-knows how long ago?  

If most of us look back on our various embarrassing moments (often through the blur of booze) then there are inevitably times when we have crossed a line or two.  Certainly had the odd drunken grope in the back of the car a few times myself.  It's usually when we fancy our chances with someone and occasionally we are kicked into touch.  I think this is simply the cut and thrust of social interactions and perfectly normal.  On the other hand there are the people in "so called power" who try to manipulate or bully people into doing things they are not comfortable with.

The difficulty is separating the two and much of that comes down to the interpretation by one side or the other.  It will be a sad world if we are left with a Victorian attitude and fear of physical contact incase it is used against us.  I think that with Fallon there is possibly more to the story than is being said at the moment and he is cutting and running before more dirt comes out.

As a 63 year old man, I must say that I am not at all clear what "the rules" are in the UK now

Women have always dressed and used make up to attract. What is OK flirtation and what is not? Maybe a female contributor could advise? Seriously.

If one has to fall on one's sword for resting a hand on a shapely knee, I had better get the ivory handled revolver and a bottle of Grouse!

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

The man is clearly honourable.

I just wonder what is being covered up.

Norman Smith (BBC political editor) said this morning that there have been rumblings about Fallon around parliament before.  Certainly Fallon looks like a decent man on the surface but as we know appearances are not always representative of the person, especially when it comes to politicians.

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If one has to fall on one's sword for resting a hand on a shapely knee, I had better get the ivory handled revolver and a bottle of Grouse!

Steady on there old bean!  Falling on your sword while shooting yourself with the ivory handles revolver is a bit excessive, even after you have downed a bottle of Grouse.  

Slightly more seriously, I think most of us have a moral compass, I am comfortable with mine and I suspect you are the same.

36 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Steady on there old bean!  Falling on your sword while shooting yourself with the ivory handles revolver is a bit excessive, even after you have downed a bottle of Grouse.  

Slightly more seriously, I think most of us have a moral compass, I am comfortable with mine and I suspect you are the same.

Mine keeps pointing South!

Should I seek advice?

Another one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/02/labour/

"Ms Etemadzadeh told the Telegraph that she met Mr Hopkins in 2013. The following year, she invited him to speak at a Labour event at Essex University, where she was Chair of the university's Labour society.

She alleges that after the event, when she was 24, he hugged her very tightly and rubbed his crotch against her.

"He hugged me to say goodbye, held me too tight and rubbed his crotch on me, which I found revolting, she said.

Following the event, Ms Etemadzadeh, who has a long standing interest in politics and was meeting the MP to discuss the General Election, exchanged several text messages with the MP

At the beginning of February 2015, the activist accepted an invitation from Mr Hopkins to visit him in Parliament....."

Sorry, but this appears to be a stitch-up. After being revolted by his sexual assault, not only did she not make an immediate complaint, she continued friendly contact with him into the next year??? Frankly, this stinks.

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Another one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/02/labour/

"Ms Etemadzadeh told the Telegraph that she met Mr Hopkins in 2013. The following year, she invited him to speak at a Labour event at Essex University, where she was Chair of the university's Labour society.

She alleges that after the event, when she was 24, he hugged her very tightly and rubbed his crotch against her.

"He hugged me to say goodbye, held me too tight and rubbed his crotch on me, which I found revolting, she said.

Following the event, Ms Etemadzadeh, who has a long standing interest in politics and was meeting the MP to discuss the General Election, exchanged several text messages with the MP

At the beginning of February 2015, the activist accepted an invitation from Mr Hopkins to visit him in Parliament....."

Sorry, but this appears to be a stitch-up. After being revolted by his sexual assault, not only did she not make an immediate complaint, she continued friendly contact with him into the next year??? Frankly, this stinks.

This, from just over a year ago, exemplifies the closed ranks that seem to protect the guilty and ostracise those affected:   

Tory bullying inquiry finds 13 alleged victims of Mark Clarke

That said, I can see no purpose in the list, or rather, I can guess that whomever compiled it was concerned about potential for negative press so wanted to know the full extent of possible exposure. But I feel that some of those on it l do not deserve to be pilloried like this.

For example, the man of whom the video exists where he is engaged in perfectly legal if unusual acts with 3 other men - I am certain that this will have significant if not devastating impact upon his parliamentary career, and quite possibly his life. In the eyes of the law he is not guilty of any crime, yet he is now a laughing stock. 

5 hours ago, Bannoi said:

I wonder if visiting Pattaya bar fining an 18yr old go-go dancer and having a night of unbridled passion before giving her a very generous tip in the morning for her taxi fare would count as an indiscretion.

No that would count as paying a prostitute for sex.  Nothing wrong with that.  It is a business transaction

So now the despicable Angela Leadsom has accused Fallon of "inappropriate comments" and is said to have pushed May to sack him.  It sounds like Fallon is a bit of an old letch but nothing more than that, whereas Leadsom is a nasty, conniving piece of work.  From what is known so far my sympathy is with Fallon although to be honest I don't have much sympathy for any politicians.

It used to be said that the "Achilles Heel" of British Labour politicians was money and that of Conservatives.......sex.

How charmingly retro, how "conservative", of this Min of Def to be emulating his infamous Conservative forbear (holding a closely analogous position) and resigning as a result of a sex scandal.

Think....Profumo.