Changing banks

Just now, BEVUP said:

Whats the visa got to do with it, you already have the account just use the Atm

Do you actually read the posts before commenting?

Please note: You may not be able to apply for the service via the website channel in certain situations.  If either of the situations below are relevant to you, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply.

• If your main account is a joint account.
  • If you hold a “tourist” or “non-immigrant” visa. (The bank will consider your submitted documents for approval of your application.)

42 minutes ago, Pib said:

Off to the branch you must go then and accept whatever method the bank uses to get the ibanking logon credentials to you (assuming they approve ibanking for your account).  Good luck.

Thanks. So I accept their insistence on sending me the OTP by post while knowing full well that our postman won't deliver it?

The whole point of my post was to ask if other banks will let me use internet banking without insisting on using the post. Never miond.

A lot of the replies here have been interesting, thanks, but no one answered my original question.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Been on ThaiVisa many years...read many posts regarding people getting their ibanking log-on credentials via the ATM method....even people simply on a 30 day entry stamp given upon airport arrival...didn't even have a tourist visa or non-o/long term Visa.  

As already noted for Bangkok Bank it will not work if it's a "joint" account....that has to be done at the branch.  And it "may" not work for a single account depending on how the branch coded your account when initially opening it. 

For a person to be sure if the ATM method will or will not work for them they have to go actually try it.   If it don't work...it don't work....your account is not locked/affected in any way.  If the ATM method does not work, then you must apply at the branch which uses the postal OTP method.

Go to a Bangkok Bank ATM and apply....I'm sure there is one near you if you are in Thailand.  It will either say something along the lines of "Sorry Charlie, you must visit your branch to apply" or you will end-up with credentials issued.  Just go try it instead of wondering will it work in my case.

Out of all this, this is the correct answer as many people don't seem to have a problem

Took me (my account only ) 3 minutes to get the info from ATM (with help from lady ), then went home & logged in

Have had my BBK account for 9 yrs - Not sure if I had visa (marriage) & the bank manager was the person who verified me

19 minutes ago, cooked said:

Do you actually read the posts before commenting?

Please note: You may not be able to apply for the service via the website channel in certain situations.  If either of the situations below are relevant to you, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply.

• If your main account is a joint account.
  • If you hold a “tourist” or “non-immigrant” visa. (The bank will consider your submitted documents for approval of your application.)

The vast majority of foreigners if they actually have a visa at all would be on either a tourist or non-immigrant visa. So that would conflict with the dozens of foreigners on here who have gained internet banking via the ATM method. It does say "may not" and in "certain situations". So given you've tried and failed you seem to be one of the unlucky ones who may not in certain situations.

I have only ever had non-immigrant visas or no visa at all when entering Thailand. BBL I got internet banking by signing up at one of the two branches I had accounts at. TMB I got internet banking several years back via the ATM method. In general they are not particularly geared to foreigners for their services. But if internet banking is a priority for you they might be worth a try, given you asked about other banks.

Going back to your OP,  a key sticking point is the postal system. Several times over the years, I've had things not arrive in Thailand. Sometimes I think issues within the postal system itself but given some places we've stayed are better than others, I'd say sometimes its the place you stay.

So my suggestions:

1) Go back to your BBL bank and ask if you can collect the OTP at a branch or ask if there is a way to send one to your mobile phone.  

2) Try again via the postal system. If we gave up every time something didn't work once in Thailand, so many things would never get done

3) Try another bank. If you have a non-immigration visa/extension, Kasikorn, SCB, Krungsri would be decent bets to open an account. TMB also worth a try but all round the other 3 would likely fit your needs better as a foreigner.

4) Try opening an account at another BBL branch. Some branches are more geared to foreigners than others. Plus sometimes Head Office can do things that others can't. eg for TMB I wanted a supplementary CC for my wife recently. The branch couldn't process so it needed to be sent on to Head Office

Cheers

Fletch :)

13 hours ago, fletchsmile said:

Going back to your OP,  a key sticking point is the postal system. Several times over the years, I've had things not arrive in Thailand. Sometimes I think issues within the postal system itself but given some places we've stayed are better than others, I'd say sometimes its the place you stay.

So my suggestions:

1) Go back to your BBL bank and ask if you can collect the OTP at a branch or ask if there is a way to send one to your mobile phone.  

2) Try again via the postal system. If we gave up every time something didn't work once in Thailand, so many things would never get done

3) Try another bank. If you have a non-immigration visa/extension, Kasikorn, SCB, Krungsri would be decent bets to open an account. TMB also worth a try but all round the other 3 would likely fit your needs better as a foreigner.

4) Try opening an account at another BBL branch. Some branches are more geared to foreigners than others. Plus sometimes Head Office can do things that others can't. eg for TMB I wanted a supplementary CC for my wife recently. The branch couldn't process so it needed to be sent on to Head Office

Cheers

Fletch :)

Oh dear. THANKS BUT..

I tried your first two suggestions already. Voting material from Switzerland rarely arrives as it looks official. 

Secondly the whole point of my post was to ask if anyone had used another bank that didn't insist on sending the OTP by post. I was told I must do it at the bank where I originally opened an account.

10 hours ago, cooked said:

Oh dear. THANKS BUT..

I tried your first two suggestions already. Voting material from Switzerland rarely arrives as it looks official. 

Secondly the whole point of my post was to ask if anyone had used another bank that didn't insist on sending the OTP by post. I was told I must do it at the bank where I originally opened an account.

Not sure what voting material from Switzerland has to do with it LOL

Just open another account then at a local convenient BBL branch. You are on a non-immig visa extension, so shouldn't be an issue to open an account. Do the online banking set up there, then add the other accounts in. My first BBL account was in Silom. I opened an account at Sukhumvit as it was more convenient. Then added online banking via Sukhumvit and just linked in the other accounts from Silom.

TMB is another option I suggested that worked for me. Set up done via ATM and mobile phone

Recently Tisco bought out Stan Chart. We were able to pick up various of the new account (1st level authentication) information at branches. Tisco's online banking though is read only for info only. But it does highlight the process.

Bottom line is there are plenty of banks with different practices and different solutions. They can vary sometimes at different branches of the same bank. Given that many of the solutions other people have posted and work for them don't work for you, you're more likely to get a solution in an actual branch of a convenient bank near you by going in.

Archived