Changing banks

I initially chose Bangkok Bank because you can rely on finding branches in most places.

However I need internet banking. Yes Bangkok Bank even filled out the form for me and then told me that they would be sending me a OTP by post. I protested that this would never arrive (thievery going on somewhere) but they refused to do it differently. True enough, the post never arrived.

So this year, a combination of bank holidays back home and here has resulted in my money becoming available three days late on five occasions and my going to town to find that I have no money available.

I have also read that Bangkok banks is no longer replacing debit cards as they are at the moment.

So, has anyone gone through the process to get internet banking with a bank that doesn't insist on sending information by post? 

Kasikorn Bank looks attractive. 

Thanks...

First of all you can set up Internet banking by following the prompts on an ATM machine (I did that at a main branch )

* No more Best 1 Visa cards - But I think they still have Rabbit cards with a Visa logo

* They are trying to palm off Union cards which are hopeless by reports (I was told only good for Thailand )

* By the sounds of it everyone  seems to be leaving

Just now, BEVUP said:

First of all you can set up Internet banking by following the prompts on an ATM machine (I did that at a main branch )

* No more Best 1 Visa cards - But I think they still have Rabbit cards with a Visa logo

* They are trying to palm off Union cards which are hopeless by reports (I was told only good for Thailand )

* By the sounds of it everyone  seems to be leaving

I couldn't do it using the internet page so I assume I can't do it at an ATM either. I bet that at the end of the process it tells me "You will receive confirmation by post".

I'll try.

20 minutes ago, cooked said:

I couldn't do it using the internet page so I assume I can't do it at an ATM either. I bet that at the end of the process it tells me "You will receive confirmation by post".

I'll try.

First of all I was at a main branch (not an Atm on the street ) - not know if same 

I actually had the women from inside the bank help me

After going through the process you get the temporary sign in info required for their website

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

First of all I was at a main branch (not an Atm on the street ) - not know if same 

After going through the process you get the temporary sign in info required for their website

Thanks. The whole point is that they insisted that I get the OTP by post. My postman doesn't do post.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Thanks. The whole point is that they insisted that I get the OTP by post. My postman doesn't do post.

I know 2 different people (one fairly recently) who signed up for internet and mobile banking with Bangkok bank and there was definitely no need to receive an OTP by post. Can you try a different branch?

Just now, topt said:

I know 2 different people (one fairly recently) who signed up for internet and mobile banking with Bangkok bank and there was definitely no need to receive an OTP by post. Can you try a different branch?

I don/t think so, I was told to go to the bank I originally registered an account at.

The original branch of Bangkok Bank that I opened my account was not helpful with what I needed.

On the advice of a friend, I simply opened an account at a different branch while closing my original account at the same time.

I've been a happy camper ever since.

When I arranged internet banking with Bangkok Bank I collected all the information from the branch when informed by SMS that it is available. The fact that Bangkok Bank has dropped Visa and now uses Unionpay for its debit cards is rather annoying because many outlets do not accept Unionpay. No real reason for me to change banks though. Very interesting to read about the perceived failings of the Thai postal system. I have to say that in all fourteen years I have lived here I am not aware of anything being lost in the system.

8 hours ago, cooked said:

I'll try.

You could always ask one of the bank staff to accompany you to the ATM and let them do the business. They just turn away when you want to enter something like a pin...or whatever.

I too set up my Bangkok Bank internet banking, and mobile internet banking, without anything by post being obligated. This is here in Pattaya. A pity you haven't been able to do it as I find the main branch very good and the internet banking covers all my needs.

The original branch of Bangkok Bank that I opened my account was not helpful with what I needed.
On the advice of a friend, I simply opened an account at a different branch while closing my original account at the same time.

I recently moved province and wanted to open an account ( with same BKK Bank ) at the Branch within walking distance of my house.
First thing they said “ you have WP ? “, tried to explain that I don’t have one and didn’t have one when I opened the account at the other branch !!

Didn’t matter, they still wanted a WP.....Hey Ho ☹️

I recently moved province and wanted to open an account ( with same BKK Bank ) at the Branch within walking distance of my house.
First thing they said “ you have WP ? “, tried to explain that I don’t have one and didn’t have one when I opened the account at the other branch !!

Didn’t matter, they still wanted a WP.....Hey Ho ☹️

23 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Applying at an ATM or per internet is not available to people on a non-immigrant visa, that's me.

If it is a joint account the ATM method can not be used to start internet banking.  And I got "internet not available for foreigners" and then "foreigner needs work permit" replies before they accepted applications (they said maybe Thai wife could open).  In the end main office immediately opened in my name.  

Yes, UnionPay is essentially only usable as an ATM card - but works fine for that and has good security.  Have been able to use at Bangkok Hospital but no place else (although have not tried many places). 

On 11/2/2017 at 9:05 AM, BEVUP said:

Setup per ATM or internet is not available to people on non-O visa extensions.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If it is a joint account the ATM method can not be used to start internet banking.  And I got "internet not available for foreigners" and then "foreigner needs work permit" replies before they accepted applications (they said maybe Thai wife could open).  In the end main office immediately opened in my name.  

Yes, UnionPay is essentially only usable as an ATM card - but works fine for that and has good security.  Have been able to use at Bangkok Hospital but no place else (although have not tried many places). 

Thanks.

I am getting a lot of useful information so far but nobody has told me if he manged to set up internet banking without having to rely on a postal OTP being received. 

Which is why I titled the thread 'Changing banks'.

Just now, faraday said:

Yes it is.

Not according to their website it isn't. I have tried multiple times and I don't make mistakes with things like card numbers and PINs:

"Please note: You may not be able to apply for the service via the website channel in certain situations.  If either of the situations below are relevant to you, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply.

• If your main account is a joint account.
  • If you hold a “tourist” or “non-immigrant” visa. (The bank will consider your submitted documents for approval of your application.)"                                              

Been on ThaiVisa many years...read many posts regarding people getting their ibanking log-on credentials via the ATM method....even people simply on a 30 day entry stamp given upon airport arrival...didn't even have a tourist visa or non-o/long term Visa.  

As already noted for Bangkok Bank it will not work if it's a "joint" account....that has to be done at the branch.  And it "may" not work for a single account depending on how the branch coded your account when initially opening it. 

For a person to be sure if the ATM method will or will not work for them they have to go actually try it.   If it don't work...it don't work....your account is not locked/affected in any way.  If the ATM method does not work, then you must apply at the branch which uses the postal OTP method.

Go to a Bangkok Bank ATM and apply....I'm sure there is one near you if you are in Thailand.  It will either say something along the lines of "Sorry Charlie, you must visit your branch to apply" or you will end-up with credentials issued.  Just go try it instead of wondering will it work in my case.

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Been on ThaiVisa many years...read many posts regarding people getting their ibanking log-on credentials via the ATM method....even people simply on a 30 day entry stamp given upon airport arrival...didn't even have a tourist visa or non-o/long term Visa.  

As already noted for Bangkok Bank it will not work if it's a "joint" account....that has to be done at the branch.  And it "may" not work for a single account depending on how the branch coded your account when initially opening it. 

For a person to be sure if the ATM method will or will not work for them they have to go actually try it.   If it don't work...it don't work....your account is not locked/affected in any way.  If the ATM method does not work, then you must apply at the branch which uses the postal OTP method.

Go to a Bangkok Bank ATM and apply....I'm sure there is one near you if you are in Thailand.  It will either say something along the lines of "Sorry Charlie, you must visit your branch to apply" or you will end-up with credentials issued.  Just go try it instead of wondering will it work in my case.

Yes thanks very much.

I have tried the ATM method a few times and as I said in my last post, I am actually looking for a bank that doesn't send me the OTP by post. I think that what you got by email was your log in details, not the OTP. As far as I know, the whole point of a OTP is to not use the internet to send it to you.

Archived