The gruesome story of a Brit who boxed his way out of a hellhole Thai prison – and is now having a film made about his life

webfact

Yes, here is a classic case of.................

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I have lived the life of the woodpecker and I am still here.

There is not a soul out there that cannot go bad for a variety of reasons the real question is ...............are they evil or not.

If they have just fallen down then give them a hand up if you can but if they are  evil then send them straight to hell.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NASTINESS?

I knew Billy and he had—like so many people do—problems with alcohol and drug addiction. That's not his fault and it can happen to the best of us. He's can't help having an addictive personality. It's no more avoidable than someone who acquires depression or a physical illness. Sh*t happens!

HE CHANGED - MANY DON'T

What addicts and alcoholics are responsible for, though, is their recovery. Alas, most don't get it overnight, in fact, most don't get it at all (George Best was a prime example). But in Billy's case, he took charge of his problem—eventually. He worked on solutions and I assume continues to work on living a clean and sober life. In other words, he brought himself back from the brink and changed his ways. Anyone who's been where he was will know that's no easy feat. But he did it despite the odds.

GIVE THE BLOKE A BREAK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Why not give the bloke a break and wish him well instead of condemning him to hell for taking a wrong turn in life. He's not the first and he won't be the last. For all you know—whoever you are—this could be you. Or your son or daughter, brother, sister, a parent, or someone else you care deeply about.

Stubby

My question to you is what crime did he commit, aside from drugs. As far as praising his change of attitude to drugs I also congratulate him for that BUT I do not admire him for getting on them in the first place, WE ALL MAKE OUR OWN DECISIONS LIKE ALL ADULTS IN LIFE!. I lost two brothers because of drugs. I chose not to get involved with drugs which are generally used to escape the reality of life. Which shows weakness as an individual to use them in the first place!

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

The road to fame don´t care about fashion, but its certainly have many clothes.
The road to fame sees no guilt, because its blinded by the morons.

After 15 years and 22 prisons, I´ll gues we know what this man calls home.
The road to home ain´t long, especially if the film won´t sell.

Thanks for those words of wisdom and enlightenment Confucius....lol

BILLY MOORE

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080956/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"..This film is based on the true story of Billy Moore, a British boxer who was imprisoned in Thailand for drugs offences. Before being transferred to a British jail he spent three years in a Thai prison; it is that time that is covered here."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080956/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

if u cant do the time, dont do the crime.

he ONLY did 3 years in a thai jail  "......survived his three year stint before being transferred back home to the UK to serve eight final months behind bars. "

thais go to jail and never write books and make $$ off of doing wrong.

no sympathy from me

PhuketRichard,

This guy I know personally and met him on several occasions due to my connections with Klong Prem hospital, and he didn't do anywhere near do three years, closer to 18 months!

He certainly did less than 20 months in Thailand and that includes his eight months in Chiang Mai.

He then went back to the UK, where you do ' half the balance to serve ' so if he did eight months in the UK, that is 16 months UK prison because the other eight is outside in the community ' on licence ' That means his total prison time was just over two years! .........and they make a movie about this??????

He certainly WAS NOT boxing in Klong Prem.He was a total drug addict.

He was in and out of the hospital at every opportunity possible. He was thrown out of the hospital for stealing inmates supplies from their lockers and prescription drugs in the hospital. He was a complete nuisance and waste of space.

He then resorted to hanging out with the Thai Muslims or anybody who would tolerate him and pretending he had converted so he could join  the group and get a free ride with food.He was permanently looking for funds to ' support his habit ' and even managed to get money from the charity ' Prisoners abroad ' It's a shame there is no vetting before they give out funds.

Not a nice person.This guy typifies actually, the lowlifes that TV members are always complaining about that come to Thailand and give their home countries a bad name.

Edited by Scouse123

Criminal ends up in a third world prison, has an absolutely terribly hard time, gets buggered in the shower, eats rice with maggots in it etc. etc. Gets out, writes a crappy book about it all, which people occasionally buy from airport news stands.  Repeat, and repeat again for various criminals in various other third world prisons. Occasionally, a low budget flick with lots of sweaty tattooed people in it gets made too.

I have read several books written by past foreign inmates of Thai prisons and I am sure that with one notable exception the facts have either been stretched or fabricated to create drama from an otherwise monotonous existence. I regularly visit a Thai friend in prison. He has already done more time in a Thai jail than this guy and suffered a life threatening bout of tuberculosis from which he took 2 years of medication to recover. I like David McMillan's book. He was the only person to ever escape from Bangkwang prison and didn't sensationalise life inside as did Warren Fellows in The Damage Done. I don't think I will bother seeing this movie, though I am very surprised that the Thais allowed it to be filmed inside a real jail.

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

I knew Billy when he lived in Bristol (Bristol is or was the capital of rehabilitation centres and addiction services) . He used to train in an old spit and saw dust gym in Bedminster, Bristol run by old boxer friend of mine.    A real nice fella and well liked, you could see he'd been through the wars physically with one of his ears missing a big chunk!  If I recall correctly he used to earn some cash on the side with arranged street fights and bare knuckle fighting. 

He disappeared around 2005 and I assumed he got himself in trouble of sorts...that was until I bumped into him in Chang Mai in 2006, he told me he was working as an English teacher there.   Anyway as another poster has said...give the man a break fcs.

Yeh he made a lot of mistakes was a complete wan### at times , I wouldn't of lent him money or let him borrow my car ect but if he's turned his life around now , then good on him. You should at least have some respect for that alone despite his past.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

I knew Billy and he had—like so many people do—problems with alcohol and drug addiction. That's not his fault and it can happen to the best of us. He's can't help having an addictive personality. It's no more avoidable than someone who acquires depression or a physical illness. Sh*t happens!

HE CHANGED - MANY DON'T

What addicts and alcoholics are responsible for, though, is their recovery. Alas, most don't get it overnight, in fact, most don't get it at all (George Best was a prime example). But in Billy's case, he took charge of his problem—eventually. He worked on solutions and I assume continues to work on living a clean and sober life. In other words, he brought himself back from the brink and changed his ways. Anyone who's been where he was will know that's no easy feat. But he did it despite the odds.

Why not give the bloke a break and wish him well instead of condemning him to hell for taking a wrong turn in life. He's not the first and he won't be the last. For all you know—whoever you are—this could be you. Or your son or daughter, brother, sister, a parent, or someone else you care deeply about.

Stubby

There but for the grace of God go I...or ( for heathens) There but for the grace of The Creator go I"

58 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Criminal ends up in a third world prison, has an absolutely terribly hard time, gets buggered in the shower, eats rice with maggots in it etc. etc. Gets out, writes a crappy book about it all, which people occasionally buy from airport news stands.  Repeat, and repeat again for various criminals in various other third world prisons. Occasionally, a low budget flick with lots of sweaty tattooed people in it gets made too.

There is no such thing as "Bad publicity"

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

HE CHANGED - MANY DON'T

Stubby

Here here. 

14 minutes ago, Spock said:

I am not condemning him. Just don't know that his experience is more worthy than others of having a film made about him.

I've never been in prison you can call me a goody two-shoes if you like.  If you do the crime then you do the time.  This seems to be the case with this chap I simply wish him well and hope he can stay on that "straight and narrow paths" that sometime tricks us up.  It's never too late to "start all over again"

Try this music from Boz Scaggs might help to forgive, maybe not forget

Edited by David Walden

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

HE CHANGED - MANY DON'T

Stubby

That's not his fault   ??? what a load of twaddle

More nonsense from that esteemed rag, The Sun.

Klong Prem may be overcrowded, which prison isn't, but then who cares that much?  Prisons are not meant to be comfortable places to stay.  The Sun also describes Klong Prem as violent and filthy, it isn't either of those. 

Prisoners keep the place clean because they have to live there, certain prisoners are given the job of cleaning the sleeping quarters every day before roll call and before the prisoners are let out for the day.  Those that do the cleaning are rewarded by tips, cigarettes or food, from the others inmates that benefit from their clean lock-up areas.  The prisoner's exterior areas are kept clean likewise by prisoners who are given that responsibility as a job.

I've spent time in Klong Prem and never saw one violent incident, the punishments are just not worth it.  No rapes, no murders, not even any suggestion of that sort of thing.  Most prisoners tolerate each other very well, Thais and foreigners, and there does develop a certain camaraderie which keeps the atmosphere as pleasant as it can ever be inside. Guards never perpetrated violence, nor gave the impression that they would.  They were probably the most pleasant people in Klong Prem and instigating violence would only have made their life there more difficult.

"He spent his first night on the floor, in a room rammed with 70 other inmates and a dead body".

This quote could be almost accurate but again it is severe exaggeration.  The first night will be spent on the floor, as will every other night in Klong Prem, but not on a bare concrete floor, the sleeping/lock-up areas are covered in what I used to know in the 50s and 60s as 'lino' but only until prisoners are allocated a permanent area for their stay the day following their arriving there.  There can be a lot of prisoners in that first-night (possibly the second night also) cell but I very much doubt that there were anywhere near 70; 30, maybe 35, would be the maximum.

Prisoners would never have been locked up for the night with a dead body in the cell, that assertion is just ridiculous in the extreme.  If a prisoner died during the night, though, it is very likely that he would remain there until until the cell was opened in the morning.

The Sun's story of the incident of a prisoner being chased and attacked by another with a metal chair is simply untrue, it could never have happened.  It was made up, either by scriptwriters or the unreliable Scouse hoodlum whom the film is about.  There is no furniture of any description available to any of the prisoners.  During the day, before lock-up, if inmates want to sit down they sit on the floor.  At night when they sleep that is on the floor on thin mattresses, no chairs accessorise the cells and at mealtimes, if eating in the canteen, seating is on wooden benches fixed to the floor.

Edited by Just Weird

That's rich.....be a "badboy" and get a movie made about you.

Those medics who give up their time to go to disaster areas all over the world to help the suffering....for free.....how's about making a few movies about them. Havn't we enough violence already in the world without "glorifying" it?

11 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

That's rich.....be a "badboy" and get a movie made about you.

Those medics who give up their time to go to disaster areas all over the world to help the suffering....for free.....how's about making a few movies about them. Havn't we enough violence already in the world without "glorifying" it?

Your approach seems to  be adding to the conflicts?

After reading Stubby's glowing support for this guy, plus watching the Christmas speech posted by Jenny2017 and trailer posted by Ratcatcher, I was thinking actually this is quite a good inspiring story, and I was gaining some respect for Billy (I don't usually have any respect for career criminals).

Then I saw the posts from Just Weird and Scouse123.  So it turns out Billy is a Walter Mitty character, and made it all up!  How can someone tell such a blatant lie to the world, and profit from it? I suppose people like Billy just have no self respect or any respect for others.