Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

Elkski

12 minutes ago, pattsman42 said:

In the Philippines the internet is poor even in Manila. This would be a big factor for a digital nomad but relatively unimportant for someone who doesn't even know how to open a laptop. However the retirement visa requirements are easier in the Philippines, this would be important for someone without much money but not important to someone who could afford a Thailand Elite Card.

For those wanting to fit in by learning the local language, Tagalog would be relatively easy where as Thai would be extremely  difficult.

Everyone I know is there on tourist VISAs which you can renew for 3 years without leaving the country.

Local language Tagalog is 30% Spanish, if you can speak Spanish or English, why would you bother with a local dialect?

I was paying 900peso/night (500bht) for a beachside condo in Barretto, modern room, aircon, cable Tv, free wife and a nipa hut on the beach to sit in. Hardly expensive or low quality.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I was paying 900peso/night (500bht) for a beachside condo in Barretto, modern room, aircon, cable Tv, free wife and a nipa hut on the beach to sit in. Hardly expensive or low quality.

That's pretty good -- they throw in a free wife so you don't have to go out to those seedy bars at night especially if she wasn't the low quality type..

Edited by JLCrab

So I am impressed by the prospects of  the physical qualities  of Thai ladies compared to American women... I have spend a couple months or more in Thailand over 3 trips the past 18 months.
I am considering retirement or maybe splitting time in both countries. 
I am wondering if I should take a trip to the Philippines to see which place I might like more. I'm not a drug user so the big drug crackdown isn't to much of an issue. 
I care about nice clean beaches and oceans.  I hope to enjoy scuba diving, sailing and hiking,  biking.  And of course a nice lovely dark haired lady.
I realize that if a gal was married  in the Philippines she can never get a divorce so I guess that means she can never get a fiance visa to USA? 
I don't like religions but many buddists are not real fanatics and my lack of belief doesn't bother them. I imagine this is the same for many catholics.  My ex went to  catholic  school but we  never attended church.   
T^his isn't a thread about which gals are better looking as I am sure there are many in all SE asian countries for me.  I am looking for guys who have personal experience in visiting both countries for more than a month. 
THAILAND, hands down!

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's pretty good -- they throw in a free wife so you don't have to go out to those seedy bars at night especially if she wasn't the low quality type..

Reminds me of the joke,

Guy texts his neighbor, "I've got to confess, the guilt is eating me up, I've been using you wife for the last 6 months, I'm so sorry"

Man gets his gun, shoots his sleeping wife in the head. Next text from neighbor, "I mean wifi, bloody spell checker"

Edited by MaeJoMTB

15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Local language Tagalog is 30% Spanish, if you can speak Spanish or English, why would you bother with a local dialect?

Because of the other 70% might make it mystifying?  :)

I speak some Spanish, and yes, there are Spanish words in Tagalog, but it really didn't help me that much when I was there. In the old days, you could find people who were Spanish speakers, but they are not taught it in schools anymore. The Filipinos may start picking up Chinese soon for all we know. :) I think it's already common in Cebu.

17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Everyone I know is there on tourist VISAs which you can renew for 3 years without leaving the country.

According to wiki, " About 40% of everyday, informal Tagalog conversation is made up of Spanish loanwords "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_language

2 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Because of the other 70% might make it mystifying?  :)

I speak some Spanish, and yes, there are Spanish words in Tagalog, but it really didn't help me that much when I was there. In the old days, you could find people who were Spanish speakers, but they are not taught it in schools anymore. The Filipinos may start picking up Chinese soon for all we know. :) I think it's already common in Cebu.

I can understand the conversations that my Thai wife and friends are having, and I'm only recognizing around 30%.

Most conversations include a lot of repetition, and extra unnecessary words.

On 07/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, cm662 said:

I care about nice clean beaches and oceans.  I hope to enjoy scuba diving, sailing and hiking,  biking.  And of course a nice lovely dark haired lady.

Try Palawan province in the Philippines, a whole different world to Manila. Clean and unspoiled, world class SCUBA diving on the wrecks in Coron, beaches at El Nido, fresh seafood from waters so clear you can see down to the sea bed from a sail boat.

The capital, Puerto Princesa is well maintained, safe and has a reasonable level of amenities. Prices are Low and Manila is a short flight away. The area is unaffected by hurricanes.

Well worth looking at.

1 hour ago, pattsman42 said:

Try Palawan province in the Philippines, a whole different world to Manila. Clean and unspoiled, world class SCUBA diving on the wrecks in Coron, beaches at El Nido, fresh seafood from waters so clear you can see down to the sea bed from a sail boat.

The capital, Puerto Princesa is well maintained, safe and has a reasonable level of amenities. Prices are Low and Manila is a short flight away. The area is unaffected by hurricanes.

Well worth looking at.

sounds dangerous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dos_Palmas_kidnappings

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/abu-sayyaf-plot-to-kidnap-tourists-on-palawan-island

12 hours ago, pattsman42 said:

Well worth looking at.

I was considering going there on my next trip.

28 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I was considering going there on my next trip.

I from what i can gather are thinking the far south of the island is not recommended to visit,also i am not sure if there is ban on tourists going down there,i think it maybe more sensible to stick to the more northerly areas.  Unless of course your an Indiana Jones type.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:25 AM, Gruff said:

Get on a bus (even close to tourist areas) and you are likely to be the only white guy either in Thailand or Phils. Both countries the local transport is lkely to be filled with Nationals, so unlke modern Western cities. The reality is that a white guy or girl will 'stick out' more in Thailand or Phils than a Thai or Filipino would in London

That's true - most have their own, or have arranged for private tranportation/rentals....

The trains seem to be about 50/50.....Planes are a coin toss....

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

That's true - most have their own, or have arranged for private tranportation/rentals....

The trains seem to be about 50/50.....Planes are a coin toss....

Absolutely not buses, trains and planes in Phils or Thailand a high predominance of Nationals

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Absolutely not buses, trains and planes in Phils or Thailand a high predominance of Nationals

I'm used to the trains from CM so it's backpacker stew there.....

FIL/MIL are in the midlands so when I don't drive they'll take the train for family visits.....

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm used to the trains from CM so it's backpacker stew there.....

FIL/MIL are in the midlands so when I don't drive they'll take the train for family visits.....

It brings back memories of the Bangkok / CM night train that cluttered along for ever and always arrived a few hours late. I used to love the buffet car environment with windows wide open, warm night air and cool beer. Admittedly mainly other foreigners  in the buffet car as i guess food and drink too expensive for most Thais. 

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

It brings back memories of the Bangkok / CM night train that cluttered along for ever and always arrived a few hours late. I used to love the buffet car environment with windows wide open, warm night air and cool beer. Admittedly mainly other foreigners  in the buffet car as i guess food and drink too expensive for most Thais. 

Watched a conga line come dancing into the "bar" car once upon a time....

Somebody a few cars back started it & people jumped in along the way....

Fun stuff.... 

10 hours ago, Gruff said:

They bought food from the vendors who wandered through the train at different stops. Pretty good quality and dirt cheap.

The islands in the Sulu sea are a definite no-go area for foreigners, there isn't much south of Puerto Princesa anyway. Back in May when I visited, there was a security alert on and island hopping tours from Coron were cancelled. There was an increased security presence with thorough checks before boarding the ferry back to Manila.

I never felt concerned in either Coron or PP. There was an attack on a dive resort in 2001 in which foreigners were kidnapped. Keeping up to date with the latest news and warnings would be well advised, along with the usual precautions.

I have been to LOS over 10 times.  I feel very happy and energetic in LOS.  Love the food, love the girls, love the people in general (when they are not trying to scam me).  I don't have any issues with the TG and English.  If they don's speak we figure it out, but that is so rare.   

Around my 7th trip, I ventured to PI for about a week. While there I tried to be positive.  I loved the girls.  To me, the PI girls were similar to the TG except less mechanical. They were good at GFE but I get a lot of that from the TG's too. 

The deal breaker for me is the poverty in Manilla, Angeles City, and Subic Bay was too much for me.  I could not get over how bad it is. 

Coincidentally this popped up today on a FB cooking group from some PI expats.....

I've written about them (NPA) before in this thread.....

Basically organized thugs for hire.....If you want a problem or person to go away - they handle that for you....Want a maid or houseboy - they go the the barrios & find what you want, all options are available for a fee + further/future owed favors for handling it.....They are everywhere & basically sink into woodwork but are always on tap.....In between extorting/collecting taxes or protection money from the locals....

There is always the ominous  presence of very real danger everywhere in the PI....

Screenshot_2017-12-11-15-15-46-49.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-15-19-48-19.png

On 12/7/2017 at 4:40 PM, pattsman42 said:

This thread would be most helpful if we simply listed the advantages and disadvantages of each country and let the readers draw their own conclusions about which place is best based on how much weight they themselves give to each point.

For example:

In the Philippines the internet is poor even in Manila. This would be a big factor for a digital nomad but relatively unimportant for someone who doesn't even know how to open a laptop. However the retirement visa requirements are easier in the Philippines, this would be important for someone without much money but not important to someone who could afford a Thailand Elite Card.

For those wanting to fit in by learning the local language, Tagalog would be relatively easy where as Thai would be extremely  difficult.

Cheap hotels in the Philippines are usually quite scummy and you need to above a certain price point to be sure of something decent. Cheap hotels in Thailand are often very good value and only cost less because they are a few streets away from attractions and services. I've stayed in a nice US$25 a night place in Bangkok where as that price will get you a dump in Manila.

Etc.

You are right, and I tried to do exactly that in my post.