Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

Elkski

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Not sure goal-oriented is a bad thing. My wife wanted an education, wanted a good job, wanted to be able to support herself and those she loved--that is a pretty good goal in my opinion.  Now, if you mean money-grubbing materialistic goals and not willing to do anything for it but spread her legs; well, that is a different story.

I agree with the concept of improving ones opportunities. What I really meant was those constantly on the look out for a better option / upgrade if you like.

I knew a maid who moved in on her bosses husband, then on his boss.

I personally knew a long term acquaintance who wanted to meet me on a visit but later told me she was getting married 2 weeks later and explained she wanted to see if I was interested enough to marry her instead.

Another partner never needed money, when asked why, she was being funded by an Americans credit card.

All keeping their options open for a better catch I believe.

2 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I agree with the concept of improving ones opportunities. What I really meant was those constantly on the look out for a better option / upgrade if you like.

I knew a maid who moved in on her bosses husband, then on his boss.

I personally knew a long term acquaintance who wanted to meet me on a visit but later told me she was getting married 2 weeks later and explained she wanted to see if I was interested enough to marry her instead.

Another partner never needed money, when asked why, she was being funded by an Americans credit card.

All keeping their options open for a better catch I believe.

Well, I thought I had covered those types with the statement about "not willing to do anything for it but spread her legs." However, I would recommend part of your selection criteria for women should be to avoid those types, shouldn't it?

Well, I thought I had covered those types with the statement about "not willing to do anything for it but spread her legs." However, I would recommend part of your selection criteria for women should be to avoid those types, shouldn't it?

My English wife wouldn't even do that!

I'm happier with the Thai wife, nothing else required.

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

You should have been on top of the mountains behind Taal in Tagaytay, a great little city with clean streets, good restaurants, plenty of nice hotels, cool climate and very safe. I have lived in several provinces in the PI--Luzon, the Visayas and Mindoro. The major safety issue I have seen in the PI is personal property--you leave it unattended it will be gone and if you catch them in the act they may get violent. As far as danger, there may be more guns being carried by guards/police in the PI; however, I have twice had guns pulled on me by Thai citizens here in Thailand and not once in the PI--and that is with about an equal amount of time in each place; lived in each for more than ten years, visited each for more than 50 years.  Now, I live in Songkhla in the South of Thailand and it is quite dissimilar to the PI--culture, religion, language, bureaucracy, corruption, food, clothing, etc. However, if you are only talking about Muslim insurgents and/or wannabe autonomous regions; there may be a political similarity between the three Southern-most provinces in Thailand and Southern Mindoro and the Sulu archipelago in the PI.

thanks for widening the the eyes there! 

-  that Taal Vista sure looks a better proposition - but 22 years ago, there weren't as many options available, as are now...

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My English wife wouldn't even do that!

I'm happier with the Thai wife, nothing else required.

Yeah, I now many men who are satisfied with a woman who just spreads her legs regularly. Quite frankly, I wouldn't put up with one who wouldn't, but I want more. I want sex, good looks, intelligence and productivity. I want what I want when I want it and just how I want it.

43 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, I now many men who are satisfied with a woman who just spreads her legs regularly. Quite frankly, I wouldn't put up with one who wouldn't, but I want more. I want sex, good looks, intelligence and productivity. I want what I want when I want it and just how I want it.

I've only met one intelligent (as me) woman, we fought.

I've met 2 intelligent men, one I was friends with, one we didn't click.

When you're at the top of the tree, there aren't many other branches. 

31 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Well, I am sure if you get out a bit and meet a few more people, you may find a taller tree.

i chose Thailand over Phil for a number of reasons.

1 quality of teh food in Phil is poor 

2 the poverty is overwhelming

3 i felt a lack of personal space

4 I;m not keen on the sawed off shotguns that the security guards carry

5 i was less keen when there was no security guards

6 The women speak good english and I really am not interested in their hard luck stories

7 all the stories are hard luck 

32 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

i chose Thailand over Phil for a number of reasons.

1 quality of teh food in Phil is poor 

2 the poverty is overwhelming

3 i felt a lack of personal space

4 I;m not keen on the sawed off shotguns that the security guards carry

5 i was less keen when there was no security guards

6 The women speak good english and I really am not interested in their hard luck stories

7 all the stories are hard luck 

I couldn't agree with you more about the hardluck stories, i have done a lot of Online dating in Phils and i am not looking for much of an age gap either. However you can guarantee that (even if it takes a month or more of communcation) they will start to talk of hardluck stories and how short of money they are. I am not talking 60%, 70% of them i reckon more like 95%. Eventually they just can't help but effectively start to beg !  I suppose in someways it is understandable as so many Filipina do work abroad, see what money Westerner or Arabian can earn and they do send it back home for their families and are not necessarily selfish. They may not be being hyprocritcal in expecting a western guy to provide but their constant hardluck stories and (frankly greed) are relationship damaging. In comparing Phils to Thailand i think Filipino food is under-ated and Filipina are over-rated

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, you have to realize that the US is a nation of immigrants, so our food is usually based upon other countries, but we have added American influence to it and created some really good dishes. Unfortunately, too many foreigners think the fast food garbage we export is what is meant by American food. There are many Americans who refuse to eat that garbage--any bar and grill serves a better burger than Mickey Dee's, any local pizza joint makes a better pizza than Pizza Hut or Dominoes, and any mom 'n pop restaurant has better fried chicken than KFC.

Yes i do realize that, i was just challenging a comment that there is no cuisine in Phils. Lechon, Pancit Sinigang, Adobo, Caldereta look them up on the net and they will be decribed as being of Phils origin. Like them or not is another matter but they do have a ' relatively unique cuisine'

I meant it with no disrespect. 1/3 of the country lives on less than $1 a day.  I used to have a 12 year old with spinabifida come to my house every day looking for cans and bottles. He didn t go to school, it was heartbreaking.  Because of the poverty, the heavy hand of the catholic church,  exploitive politicians and years of colonization,  Pinoys are amongst the most down trodden people on earth

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, you have to remember, TV posters, people who apparently chose to live in Thailand, or who  follow life in Thailand via TV, would likely prefer Thailand. I have many friends in the PI who swear that the PI is so much better than Thailand. Forget what any other person says, go and see for yourself; there are many good things abut the PI, if you open your eyes to see. 

I think there must be a lot of truth in that and it is noticeable that those on here (with the notable excepion of Pgrahmm) have trashed the Phils, using words such as 'shithole' without any supporting reason

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am not much interested in productivity, i can cook, clean, wash my clothes and iron myself. If i want some sort of intellectual inspiration i can chat with male native English speaking aquaintances / friends. More lkely to stretch my brain that with someone with English as their second language.

Edited by Gruff

6 hours ago, Gruff said:

I couldn't agree with you more about the hardluck stories, i have done a lot of Online dating in Phils and i am not looking for much of an age gap either. However you can guarantee that (even if it takes a month or more of communcation) they will start to talk of hardluck stories and how short of money they are. I am not talking 60%, 70% of them i reckon more like 95%. Eventually they just can't help but effectively start to beg !  I suppose in someways it is understandable as so many Filipina do work abroad, see what money Westerner or Arabian can earn and they do send it back home for their families and are not necessarily selfish. They may not be being hyprocritcal in expecting a western guy to provide but their constant hardluck stories and (frankly greed) are relationship damaging. In comparing Phils to Thailand i think Filipino food is under-ated and Filipina are over-rated

Not to mention insanely jealous....They seriously give the phrase an entirely new level of meaning.....

A lot a also seriously hooked on the cheap facial plastic surgery available there.....

6 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I meant it with no disrespect. 1/3 of the country lives on less than $1 a day.  I used to have a 12 year old with spinabifida come to my house every day looking for cans and bottles. He didn t go to school, it was heartbreaking.  Because of the poverty, the heavy hand of the catholic church,  exploitive politicians and years of colonization,  Pinoys are amongst the most down trodden people on earth

At least they can vote.

17 hours ago, smotherb said:

Wrong assumption! Who said they were girls that only 'spread their legs'?

9 hours ago, Gruff said:

Yes i do realize that, i was just challenging a comment that there is no cuisine in Phils. Lechon, Pancit Sinigang, Adobo, Caldereta look them up on the net and they will be decribed as being of Phils origin. Like them or not is another matter but they do have a ' relatively unique cuisine'

Yes, I have eaten them all. My favorites are bulalo, tinola, sisig, pinokbet, lechon kawali and just plain garlic fried rice. Certainly, there is food in the PI, cuisine may be a stretch. However, most non-Filipinos do not seem to like Filipino food. For example, other than where there is a Filipino community, where are there Filipino restaurants?

9 hours ago, Gruff said:

I am not much interested in productivity, i can cook, clean, wash my clothes and iron myself. If i want some sort of intellectual inspiration i can chat with male native English speaking aquaintances / friends. More lkely to stretch my brain that with someone with English as their second language.

Yeah, seems to be the sad song of those whose relationships with women lack productivity and intelligence.

You seem to have a poor view of productivity--housework, my my, even you can do it eh? When I speak of productivity, I am referring to being able to contribute to the relationship rather than simply taking from it.

Edited by smotherb

13 hours ago, tifino said:

thanks for widening the the eyes there! 

-  that Taal Vista sure looks a better proposition - but 22 years ago, there weren't as many options available, as are now...

I first visited Tagaytay maybe 40 years ago.  The city was the headquarters of some of Aquinaldo's forces in the days of the Philippine revolution. What I like about it is its climate, quite cool compared to the rest of the PI, with beautiful scenery and views of lake Taal and the volcano, and just an hour or so South of Manila.

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Wrong assumption! Who said they were girls that only 'spread their legs'?

Well, I did. And, you were the one who used the feminine pronouns in your comment to which I referred. Are you now talking about baklas or gigalos?

13 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Hark at this guy!

Must be tough being perfect!

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, seems to be the sad song of those whose relationships with women lack productivity and intelligence.

You seem to have a poor view of productivity--housework, my my, even you can do it eh? When I speak of productivity, I am referring to being able to contribute to the relationship rather than simply taking from it.

2 ex wives, both intelligent, 2nd one Mensa IQ,  both working, so in your understanding i guess that means productive. I am sure it can lead to a good relationship but it certainly does not assure it. And boy when the relationships failed they just kept taking and taking and taking !  I don't think it need to be a sad relationship without productivity and intelligence.

Yes, I have eaten them all. My favorites are bulalo, tinola, sisig, pinokbet, lechon kawali and just plain garlic fried rice. Certainly, there is food in the PI, cuisine may be a stretch. However, most non-Filipinos do not seem to like Filipino food. For example, other than where there is a Filipino community, where are there Filipino restaurants?

There are a few around, there is one i know of in the West End of London that caters mainly for lunchtime office workers. I believe the reputation of Filipino food is destroyed (not by the cuisine they can offer) but by the very poor standards and lack of consistency in Filipino restaurants. I will defend Filipino cuisine but totally agree the standard of restauarants is often abysmal and you cannot avoid getting bad food in Phils.

Edited by Gruff

Go to a hair salon and take a haircut plus shampoo..Then u understand what the difference is..

In Phillipines they do not seem to know how to wash u hair u lucky if they got running water in the shop.if u get sweaty and faster heartbeats that comes from the forbidden Msg what pinoys throw in ur dish.

Edited by Destiny1990

5 hours ago, Gruff said:

There are a few around, there is one i know of in the West End of London that caters mainly for lunchtime office workers. I believe the reputation of Filipino food is destroyed (not by the cuisine they can offer) but by the very poor standards and lack of consistency in Filipino restaurants. I will defend Filipino cuisine but totally agree the standard of restauarants is often abysmal and you cannot avoid getting bad food in Phils.

Well, I have to agree about poor standards and consistency, but if there are no Filipinos around that London restaurant, I guess Filipino cooking may might survive in London. You see very few if any Brit restaurants survive where there is no Brit community either. The unfortunate fact with US food is that all most foreigners see are the US franchised fast foods--lousy food at exorbitant prices.