Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

Elkski

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

I didn't like if I wanted something they'd send a house boy out to get it - or, if I wanted to drive myself I'd always have 2 house boys tagging along.....I got tired of the lack of options....

no house girls available?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Almost all the "big" people did move with bodyguards - always made me nervous....

As a fact, a few offered me guns to carry as I liked to kick around by myself from time to time....

See?  This is one of the main differences between Thailand and PI . I can live in a house here without any form of security which means I don't need a gun to protect myself. 

Would not be possible in PI unless you arm yourself or get a guard .  Even the banks and all the public buildings have armed guards.  

17 minutes ago, balo said:

See?  This is one of the main differences between Thailand and PI . I can live in a house here without any form of security which means I don't need a gun to protect myself. 

Would not be possible in PI unless you arm yourself or get a guard .  Even the banks and all the public buildings have armed guards.  

Pawn shops and 7/11's have armed guards as well. That is not an automatic association that  the place is dangerous. Filipinos i have spoken to feel it is a positive and makes them feel safer.

I can think of another country with a love affair with guns!  Sometimes i get the impression you just make a statement without thought. There is CCTV everywhere in Thailand - what is that for if not security?  And, of course even a door and a window are not just for the elements, they provide a form of security as well. In general the level of crime risk in most countries is much more likely to relate to the environment you live in than anything else. Highly populated urban areas are normally the higest risk of crime and very rural areas the lowest risk. 

Edited by Gruff

1 hour ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Because even without violent crime there is still crime.

Yes i agree but we are seeing CCTV images of violent and brutal  behaviour every day on Thai Visa News. I am aware that this may  (or may not) give an overall distorted impression of safety in Thailand but it is certainly having a negative impact on me. I am not a member of any similar forum in Phils to make a comparison.  I would be interested  if others are and can comment.

Asking for anecdotes is very entertaining, but statistics are more accurate. :ph34r:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Philippines/Thailand/Crime

But as every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, the stats in different categories yield different results.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

3 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Asking for anecdotes is very entertaining, but statistics are more accurate. :ph34r:

But as every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, the stats in different categories yield different results.

Assault 400x more in Thailand, suicide 3x more in Thailand, Violent crime 3x more in Thailand, Total crime 7x more in Thailand.

Nah, the stats  don't add up, all the extra crime but less murders in Thailand, that's cos the Thai police lie. Hard to make comparisons when Thai police record murders as suicides or traffic accident.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

9 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Thanks very interesting, will probably silence a few !

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Assault 400x more in Thailand, suicide 3x more in Thailand, Violent crime 3x more in Thailand, Total crime 7x more in Thailand.

Nah, the stats  don't add up, all the extra crime but less murders in Thailand, that's cos the Thai police lie. Hard to make comparisons when Thai police record murders as suicides or traffic accident.

Agreed it does not seem to follow that allault is so much higher in Thailand and murder less. Perhaps it is the Police executions in Phils that 'tip the scales'

I lived in Thailand for 3+ years, and in the Philippines for 2 years.

Here is my thoughts on the matter:

Thai women:

1. Are more beautiful (this is according to my personal taste of course)

2. Have clearer skin

3. Are slimmer on average

Filipinas (Philippine women):

1. Have bigger, rounder butts

2. Have bigger boobs too

3. Tend to be chubbier, and some are actually fat (something you rarely see in Thailand)

4. Often have moles, even facial moles, while Thais almost never have any

5. Like foreigners (especially white men), much more than Thai girls do

6. Speak English much much better than Thais, so communication is much easier

7. Almost all are Catholic, but many are not really religious.

For example my ex-gf never been to church (except for a wedding or baptism ceremony) in the 1.5 years we have been together.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:21 PM, Elkski said:

My question is what are the pros and cons of retirement in each country? and why?

Of course I would go visit any country many times including  taking a 4-6 month or longer look before I would consider a official move to  retire there. But so far I have only looking in Thailand and I wonder if I should expand my search to the Philippines. 

I was hoping to get more factual specifics than just stinks.. NYC and LA and Thailand stink compared to fresh mountain air of UTAH.

I do hear the food is not as healthy or tasty in the Philippines.

This may just be a Toyota vs Honda type preference for many.   I've read where some men think gals from certain Asian countries are better looking but I don't believe it is proper to make such generalizations. 

Ok, if the question is about retirement, here is my answer (I thought its about the looks of women...)

1. Thailand is much much more developed.

I would say 20 - 25 years ahead of the Philippines

2. Food in Thailand is so much better, there is no comparison really.

Fruit and veggies are better, cheaper, more abundant (at least when comparing big cities)

Street food is better, healthier, cleaner, more varied.

3. Roads in Thailand are much better

5. Rent in Thailand is cheaper (I would say 20% lower for similar accommodations)

5. Internet and mobile costs are cheaper in Thailand (and the internet is faster)

6. Electricity costs are lower in Thailand

So does the Philippines have any advantages ?

1. Women are friendlier, and adore foreigners (especially white, but not exclusively)

2. Easier to stay for long term.

They have a system where you put USD 20K in a Philippine bank, and can stay permanently there, and even work if I'm not mistaken.

3. Most people speak descent English, so communication is much easier

8 minutes ago, soomak said:

5. Rent in Thailand is cheaper (I would say 20% lower for similar accommodations)

5. Internet and mobile costs are cheaper in Thailand (and the internet is faster)

2 factually incorrect, rent, same long term, more expensive as a tourist in PI, data plan on my phone, 300bht (AIS) Vs 300peso (SMART) and SMART throw in all I can eat SMS per month.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:53 AM, Aussieroaming said:

And if you want to cook your own food there's plenty of supermarkets that stock fresh imported products (fresh and processed)Try this link if you want to see the food diversity.

http://filipinofoodaficionado.blogspot.com/2011/10/philippine-regional-specialties.html

Yes, there are supermarkets, but the price of fruits and vegetable is about twice that of Thailand, and the variety (of fruit) is smaller.

Also, getting to the supermarket is more complicated, as public transportation is crap, and the traffic is horrible.

In bkk you can usually take the BTS to the supermarket, or just a very short taxi ride.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:10 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

How is the traffic in manila? A lot of crazy drivers like in Bangkok?

Traffic is really not dangerous, just extremely congested.

Many times for example, it would take you 45 minutes for a 4km ride in Makati.

And public transportation is really bad.

59 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

2 factually incorrect, rent, same long term, more expensive as a tourist in PI, data plan on my phone, 300bht (AIS) Vs 300peso (SMART) and SMART throw in all I can eat SMS per month.

Yes, we know you like to argue...

I paid between 15-18K baht for apartments in a condominium in Bkk.

In Makati/BGC/Manila you may get a tiny 27 sqm condo for this price.

I ended up in a 33K peso per month apartment, which at current rates is 21.5K Baht.

As for internet:

DSL/cable internet in Phil is between 1,000-1,300 peso (650-850 baht) for 3Mb, and 2,900 peso (1,900 baht) for 50Mb.

In Thailand I paid 640 baht for 10Mb plan, and that was in 2014. Its probably faster by now for the same price.

Edited by soomak

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

30Mb now.

I pay 1200 baht for 200 MB/s fibre optic, 3BB.

Also 600 baht for fibre optic from sinet, but only 100 Mb/ s

Philipino women are nicer. Too many guns for my liking, this was in 1993, just after the yanks left Angeles.

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I pay 1200 baht for 200 MB/s fibre optic, 3BB.

Also 600 baht for fibre optic from sinet, but only 100 Mb/ s

For 600 baht you can get 3Mb in the Philippines.

And actually its less than 3Mb, since all their plans say "Up to 3Mb".

They don't commit to a minimum speed.

Edited by soomak
more accurate explanation

No it shows that Filipinos will leave their poor country and go anywhere in the world where they can make money to send back home.  Over 10% of the Phillippine population lives overseas and sends money home , there are 3 1/2 million Pinays in USA ---Thai 350,000.  Europe and Arab countries have a lot as well who work there to send money back home.

Surprised noone mentioned it but the Philippines has a massively increasing population still while Thailand has levelled out.  

This means Thailand can focus on quality of life issues Phil has massive problems due to population pressure the govt and wages can't keep up.

The Philippines has very large amounts of desperarely poor people. Phil is third world and Thailand is not .

Phil is dangerous would never bring my can't to live there only to a quieter island or tourist area like Boracay.

Phil has whole islands and cities that are no go zones . The last year thousands have died in war and drug crackdown. The Phil oresident is an admitted murderer. Most Filipinos support extrajudicial killing. They support abritrary murder.

The country is a social disaster and one of the best examples of how NOT to run a country or society in history.

They are very 'proud' but proud of what exactly?

I would have no qualms about moving to Thailand or Malaysia or Vietnam. I do like the Phil for tourism

But move to Phil..nope

The best countries and most mature people in SE Asia going in order are Malaysia, Indonesia , Vietnam and Thailand.

Note safety being very important for me and most people. Why move to a place that is so dangerous?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Another nice thing about the Filipinos. They don't think all white foreigners speak English and come from the same country.

They actually seem to know a little about the world,  geography, languages and music.

Was sitting in a beach hut one day listening to Romeo Santos on my mini-speakers (nobody else around), and the maintenance man came up to me and said "I like Latino music, do you speak Spanish?". Never met a single Thai who realized there was more to western music than 70s rock or hiphop.

Yep Filipinos are more worldly and easy going conversationally. 

The most socially adept with conversation in Asia except for Malaysia perhaps and not because they speak English either !

46 minutes ago, taipeir said:

The best countries and most mature people in SE Asia going in order are Malaysia, Indonesia , Vietnam and Thailand.

Note safety being very important for me and most people. Why move to a place that is so dangerous?

Re safety take a read of Post 223.

53 minutes ago, taipeir said:

Phil is dangerous would never bring my can't to live there only to a quieter island or tourist area like Boracay.

Phil has whole islands and cities that are no go zones . The last year thousands have died in war and drug crackdown.

Try to tell that to MaeJoMTB, he is living in a different world than you and me. 

I agree with you completely . 

12 hours ago, soomak said:

Yes, there are supermarkets, but the price of fruits and vegetable is about twice that of Thailand, and the variety (of fruit) is smaller.

Also, getting to the supermarket is more complicated, as public transportation is crap, and the traffic is horrible.

In bkk you can usually take the BTS to the supermarket, or just a very short taxi ride.

Depends where you live, I used to walk to the supermarket. As for fresh fruit i could either go to the supermarket or buy at the weekly fresh fruit and vegentable market (only used to appear on Sundays). Price wise I never really considered it but you could be right, cant compare to some Thai markets for price and freshness.