Police very eager to issue fines?

Timwin

I got a traffic violation fine for crossing the line in traffic lights. The funny thing is that the fine was on my bike when I got back and the bike locked. I don't remember even crossing the line anywhere. No police ever stopped me and I ride quite slowly. Quite a lot of people in the stations at Pattaya Beach Road paying fines, 50-60 ahead of me. Most were foreigners :)

Edited by Timwin

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Troll post ... ?

if one does a traffic violation or is caught with any illegal substance then you have to expect the penalty.

Why is it that farangs come here to Thailand get caught and then cry foul  ? .......  :shock1:

Do you feel better now after your early morning moral tirade? Is that your thing?

Op, its a bit hard to understand your post.

not sure what you did.

but,  if it's traffic lights,  then you made the mistake of stopping in the first place.

if you had gone straight over the lights,   regardless of what color the lights were, all would be fine. the cops just don't  care about this one. :thumbsup:

Or did you park in the wrong place. red / white lines on the kerb ?

Edited by stanleycoin

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Troll post ... ?

if one does a traffic violation or is caught with any illegal substance then you have to expect the penalty.

Why is it that farangs come here to Thailand get caught and then cry foul  ? .......  :shock1:

I witness dozens of traffics offenses everyday and in many years I've never once seen a cop to do anything so his story is indeed noteworthy.

"Crossing the line in traffic lights."

What does that mean?  Stopping past the white line at the lights?  Passing traffic queued at the lights and crossing the centre line of the road to get to the front of the queue?

If it's stopping past the white stop line then clearly an offence but one that is committed daily by pretty much every motorbike.  Never known it enforced in Pattaya before and sounds like a new easy source of revenue for the BiB's.  

Don't you just love it when they ignore a law for years until everyone has got used to it not being enforced and then having a crackdown?

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

Troll post ... ?

Because Thais mostly get away with such trivia. It's simply one of the many ways to fleece the faring.

Once in awhile as it must be part of their traffic stop circuit, they will fine motorbike drivers for stopping past the white line at Thep Prasit and Thappraya in Jomtien.  They do flag the offenders over, maybe the OP didn't notice being flagged down and got his license number noted.  Just a guess.

I got a ticket yesterday turning off Thrapaya on the final run down to the beach (just before Hemmingways...........had my licence, tax,insurance..................never had bike book on me...........fine 400 baht down at soi 9.

Never like to carry the book incase the bike is stolen.............maybe have to have a copy made up and take that out with me,though from what i have read they can claim the copy in illegible and still fine you.....

Wonder how many of us carry the book?

7 hours ago, Timwin said:

Just chains and padlock but after one hour in parking, not immediately...

Do you believe you may have crossed a line and simply not seen the police?

Presumably somewhere near where you parked the bike.

It is one of their little earners, people over the line, along with no helmet, no IDP,   left turn on red. I cut through a pedestrian walkway to save going to the lights further on and got my ticket. But I do not hear much of people getting tickets in absentia other than parking infringements. They surely can't be putting them on parked vehicles at random. 

When they are filling their coffers the police station does get rather busy, but Thais get fined too.  I usually get one a year!

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

I got a ticket yesterday turning off Thrapaya on the final run down to the beach (just before Hemmingways...........had my licence, tax,insurance..................never had bike book on me...........fine 400 baht down at soi 9.

Never like to carry the book incase the bike is stolen.............maybe have to have a copy made up and take that out with me,though from what i have read they can claim the copy in illegible and still fine you.....

The law specifies a copy of the "log book" (registration) or "green book" is required. I always carry a copy. No need to carry the original book.

4 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

I have for years on all vehicles i have,  it's not hard to carry a photo copy under the seat or in the glove box on cars,   it saves time and money, also it keeps the blood pressure in check. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

16 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

I have for years on all vehicles i have,  it's not hard to carry a photo copy under the seat or in the glove box on cars,   it saves time and money, also it keeps the blood pressure in check. :jap:

what about for a rental? how could you possibly have the book?

12 minutes ago, torrzent said:

what about for a rental? how could you possibly have the book?

well put it this way,  they take a copy of your passport when you hire 

a bike, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,   I will let you work out the rest.

But i own my cars and bikes , so i don't have a problem. :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

well put it this way,  they take a copy of your passport when you hire 

a bike, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,   I will let you work out the rest.

But i own my cars and bikes , so i don't have a problem. :thumbsup:

what if they take a cash deposit instead of passport...how does that change things?

18 minutes ago, torrzent said:

what if they take a cash deposit instead of passport...how does that change things?

Not a lot.

But i can't be held responsible for peoples bad negotiation skills.

If you just remember,   Money Number One.

In this instance it will work in your favor, i'm sure.

or just walk to the next shop house renting bikes out.

and try again.  :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

9 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Not a lot.

But i can't be held responsible for peoples bad negotiation skills.

If you just remember,   Money Number One.

In this instance it will work in your favor, i'm sure.

or just walk to the next shop house renting bikes out.

and try again.  :jap:

not following, how does this affect the green book or not?

Troll post ... ?

Do you really need to wheel out the troll accusation? It gets really tedious.

Yes some bad apple police about with illegal checkpoints but if guys stay within the law there's no problem.