Citizenship requirements/limitations for a Retirement Visa

A friend of mine, who is a Bangladesh citizen, is interested in obtaining a retirement visa ("Non-Immigrant OA Visa") for Thailand and subsequent extension(s). He is 57 years old and has the required B800,000 in a Thai bank for more than 3 months and he presently has a Thailand tourist visa in his passport. Does he qualify for a retirement visa extension? I have looked on the internet, but I can find no statement regarding the countries from which citizens may apply for and receive a Thai retirement visa. Can a citizen of any country (specifically Bangladesh) that has a valid tourist visa for Thailand apply for and receive a Non-Immigrant OA Visa? Are any other documents required for a Bangladesh citizen (assuming that he qualifies for a Non-Immigrant OA Visa) to get the Non-Immigrant OA Visa, such as perhaps a Police Report or Medical Certificate? Thanks in advance for any guidance or information. 

A OA long stay visa could only be applied for at the Thai embassy in Bangladesh.

He can apply for a change of visa status at immigration to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would need to be in the bank for 60 days when he applies for the extension for the visa application the 60 days is not required. No medical or police certificates are required.

Basic requirements for the change of visa status application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

4 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

There is no answer to questions like this because it depends on how "immigration" sees the applicant, He appears to have been here long enough to have had a bank account for three months yet he is on a visa which allows for only a ninety day stay, which gives the the impression that he is a visa runner who has found a better way of staying in Thailand. Anything is possible but once a procedure is posted here it is often interpreted as an entitlement so the best thing to do is go to Immigration and ask.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

How could you possibly get the impression that he is a "visa runner" from my post? My friend is a retired senior government official who has traveled to and through Thailand dozens of times over the past 5+ years. He is not presently in Thailand, but in the past he has held a Thai business visa and work permit and has generated significant income in Thailand, hence the very substantial bank account here in Thailand. He is now simply looking for an easy and straight forward way to travel to Thailand relatively quickly as he has serious health issues (kidney transplant) and he may need to get treatment at a Thai hospital on very short notice. He will not live here for any significant period of time, I expect. It was my suggestion to him that a retirement visa might solve his problem. Bangladesh (along with India and Pakistan) is on an immigration "watch list" which may cause problems for his long stay visa application, which was the reason for my inquiry here. But his background and financial position put him in a unique and I expect strong position for a retirement visa, and if I read UJ's post correctly, the major problem is that he will need to stay in Thailand for at least 60 days ("then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement") before he can apply for the 1 year extension, which may be a problem for him as to my knowledge he never stays more than 3 to 5 days at a time. But I can now at least explain the requirements and problem to him.    

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA long stay visa could only be applied for at the Thai embassy in Bangladesh.

He can apply for a change of visa status at immigration to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa he could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would need to be in the bank for 60 days when he applies for the extension for the visa application the 60 days is not required. No medical or police certificates are required.

Basic requirements for the change of visa status application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Thanks for this. If I read your post correctly, my friend would need to have stayed in Thailand for not less than 60 (or more than 75) days from his entry before he can apply for the 1 year extension -- correct? I accept that what you say is correct, but in the site that you link to I only see the "the application must be submitted more than 15 days before visa expiration" (i.e., with a 90 day visa, not more than 75 days after having entered Thailand).  Is there any way around this requirement, as staying in Thailand for 60 days is likely not possible for my friend? 

Edited by Fat Prophet

14 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Thanks for this. If I read your post correctly, my friend would need to have stayed in Thailand for not less than 60 (or more than 75) days from his entry before he can apply for the 1 year extension -- correct? I accept that what you say is correct, but in the site that you link to I only see the "the application must be submitted more than 15 days before visa expiration" (i.e., with a 90 day visa, not more than 75 days after having entered Thailand).  Is there any way around this requirement, as staying in Thailand for 60 days is likely not possible for my friend? 

They are 2 separate applications.

For the visa application he must have at least 15 days remaining on his 60 day entry from the tourist visa or the 30 day extension of it. After the visa application is approved he will get a visa stamp and and a new 90 day permit to stay stamp. The 60 day entry from the tourist visa will be canceled when they do the 90 day stamp. The 90 days start on the day they do the stamp.

Then during the last 30 days of that new 90 day entry he can apply for the extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

“How could you possibly get the impression that he is a "visa runner" from my post? My friend is a retired senior government official who has traveled to and through Thailand dozens of times over the past 5+ years. He is not presently in Thailand, but in the past he has held a Thai business visa and work permit and has generated significant income in Thailand, hence the very substantial bank account here in Thailand. He is now simply looking for an easy and straight forward way to travel to Thailand relatively quickly as he has serious health issues (kidney transplant) and he may need to get treatment at a Thai hospital on very short notice. He will not live here for any significant period of time” 

I gave the circumstances which give the impression that he was a visa runner.
He would be a prime candidate for a non immigration visa which is valid for one year and allows for multiple entries, it costs a little more than a single entry non-imm visa but that is no concern apparently, just the sort of visitor Thailand needs. He would still be best advised to apply in Bangledesh, it is possible that medical treatment could be admissable for that visa. He may have to “work” at it but if successful he could come and go as he wished for a whole year.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

He would be a prime candidate for a non immigration visa which is valid for one year and allows for multiple entries

If he already has a tourist visa and (presumably) is in Thailand or will be soon, then the process outlined by Ubonjoe ... get a visa entry change at immigrations to a non-imm O entry and then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at immigrations ... makes more sense.

Not sure an embassy would be eager to give him a non-imm O visa if he already has a valid tourist visa in his passport and, if he is already in Thailand, travelling back home to get a new visa would be an expensive and unnecessary way to proceed.

If he went to a neighboring country for the non-imm O, it's unlikely or impossible to get a multi entry visa as you outlined.

53 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I gave the circumstances which give the impression that he was a visa runner.

How could he be a visa runner since he is from Bangladesh. He does not qualify for a visa exempt entry or a 15 day visa and must apply for his tourist visa in Bangladesh unless he has legal residency in another country.

54 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

He would be a prime candidate for a non immigration visa which is valid for one year and allows for multiple entries, it costs a little more than a single entry non-imm visa but that is no concern apparently, just the sort of visitor Thailand needs.

Can you suggest where he could get it. Getting a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement are not easy to get.

The only visa he could apply for would be a OA long stay visa at the embassy in Bangladesh. Since he already has the money in the bank getting an extension at immigration is good choice.

• Like 1

He probably wants a multi entry visa. Those are not easy to get, except the expensive elite visa. If he travels a lot maybe it still worthwhile because the free limo service saves the taxi costs. 

You can also get multi entries on a retirement visa. But then he has go to the process obtaining it, including being in Thailand for 2 months.

OP - For the retirement visa - I don't know anyone who has used Thailand Long Stay Co (unlike Thailand Elite) - but have seen Long Stay Co fast track staff/kiosk at the airport. I've been generally aware of this company, via the internet, for at least 8+ years.

Link is at http://thailongstay.co.th/service.html 

This may be something your friend may want to check out, even via email.  Considering his health, this may save him some running around.  Their Gold package is THB 21,000/year (far less than Elite), but on the plus side they handle fast track and 90 day reporting.  They clearly state the income requirements, but nothing about having to be here for 60 days.  

4 hours ago, Paul944 said:

He probably wants a multi entry visa. Those are not easy to get, except the expensive elite visa. If he travels a lot maybe it still worthwhile because the free limo service saves the taxi costs. 

You can also get multi entries on a retirement visa. But then he has go to the process obtaining it, including being in Thailand for 2 months.

Two months!?

Unnecessary if you start with any Non Immi O Visa and the financial deposit and documents ready - two days maximum.

If you want to use a "work around" of course it takes longer.

The correct way is always the best way.

OP - i converted a visa exempt entry (same process as tourist visa entry) to non imm O earlier this year at chaeng wattana (CW) in bangkok.  to help your friend get an idea on the timeline, i entered thailand on march 1 and went to CW a couple days later with the required documents, etc..  they took the paperwork and told me to return in approx. two weeks.  i went back two weeks later and received the non imm O stamp in my passport.  that visa allowed a 90 day stay (to may 31) and day 1 was the day i applied (early march), not the day i picked it up (mid march).  then i went back to CW in mid may to apply for the one year extension of stay, bringing along the same required documents as before.  let me know if you have any questions on the process.

edit:  i went back a 4th time to get a multiple re-entry permit which allows you to come and go as you please.  each time i return, i get permission to stay until may 31, 2018.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, buick said:

OP - i converted a visa exempt entry (same process as tourist visa entry) to non imm O earlier this year at chaeng wattana (CW) in bangkok.  to help your friend get an idea on the timeline, i entered thailand on march 1 and went to CW a couple days later with the required documents, etc..  they took the paperwork and told me to return in approx. two weeks.  i went back two weeks later and received the non imm O stamp in my passport.  that visa allowed a 90 day stay (to may 31) and day 1 was the day i applied (early march), not the day i picked it up (mid march).  then i went back to CW in mid may to apply for the one year extension of stay, bringing along the same required documents as before.  let me know if you have any questions on the process.

edit:  i went back a 4th time to get a multiple re-entry permit which allows you to come and go as you please.  each time i return, i get permission to stay until may 31, 2018.

Thanks very much, very helpful.