CM Driving Appreciation

ZeVonderBearz

I'm a big fan of the roads and driving in CM.

Currently, my favourite CM/Thai driving manoeuver is the no-look left turn into fast oncoming traffic. The majority of Thai's, be they bikers or drivers have this manoeuver down to a real fine art. The Chinese are also very good at performing this manoeuver. On the rare occasion I've seen farang attempt this manoeuver they've been quite good, but they often take a fleeting glance to the right just before the left-hand turn is made. For me, this glance really undermines the integrity and conviction of the manoeuver.

Please share your appreciation for CM/Thai drivers here.

My favourite is the opposite , "the painfully slow left turn" from the main road/traffic into a driveway or small soi. 

If done correctly, its a little like docking a cruise ship. Firstly, around 20m from the soi, come to a complete stop in the middle lane. Use of indicators is an instant fail.

Next, edge ever so slowly towards the soi, all the while not giving away your intention to turn. At the soi, come to a complete stop again. Linger (apply makeup, tune the radio etc) before actually committing to the turn. Then begin the turn, very slowly with a few more stops mid turn. Use of a mobile phone during the turn is not mandatory, but highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

My favourite is the opposite , "the painfully slow left turn" from the main road/traffic into a driveway or small soi. 

If done correctly, its a little like docking a cruise ship. Firstly, around 20m from the soi, come to a complete stop in the middle lane. Use of indicators is an instant fail.

Next, edge ever so slowly towards the soi, all the while not giving away your intention to turn. At the soi, come to a complete stop again. Linger (apply makeup, tune the radio etc) before actually committing to the turn. Then begin the turn, very slowly with a few more stops mid turn. Use of a mobile phone during the turn is not mandatory, but highly recommended. 

Wow! I've not experienced this situation personally but through your powerful story telling I feel like I was there and a great appreciation for it. As the night draws ever closer and the full moon of the 12th lunar month is upon us, I'm really hoping the people of CM can outdo themselves, and provide fireworks both on and off the road tonight. I want to see as many no look right hand turns as possible. Can't wait.