Extension of Non O, Hold Passport?

Question about timing..

I will be going to the Mahasarakham Immigration office at the end of the month to get my NonImmigrant O (marriage) Visa extended for another year. My current re-entry permit expires on December 2.

Does anybody know if they can do it on that same day, or if it will need to be sent to Bangkok for processing?

If not the same day, will they hold my passport for a period of time for processing? Or will I get it back and have it in my possession during processing.

I ask since I would want to be able to fly to Bangkok and stay in a hotel during the following week, but both require that I show my passport.

Am I better off just going to Bangkok and doing the renewal at the immigration center there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

You have to apply for a 12 month extension of stay at the office where you live.

Your application will be sent to Khorat and you will be given 30 days under consideration.

You will be given your passport back.

From what I understanbd, you can apply at any immigration office in the province where you are registered.

For example, Chonburi province has offices in Chonburi, SriRacha and Jomtien. So you should be able to go to any of those to get your extension of stay. And do 90 day reports as well at any of those. Ubonjoe may be able to clarify this

34 minutes ago, MandoDog said:

Does anybody know if they can do it on that same day, or if it will need to be sent to Bangkok for processing?

No they can't. You'll be given a date to go back and have the extension stamped in your passport. That date could be 30 days form the date you apply or 30 days from December 2nd. It won't be sent to Bangkok, but the regional office will have to sign it off.

37 minutes ago, MandoDog said:

If not the same day, will they hold my passport for a period of time for processing?

No they won't keep your passport.

38 minutes ago, MandoDog said:

Am I better off just going to Bangkok and doing the renewal at the immigration center there?

They wouldn't accept your application unless you have a Bangkok address. You need to apply at your local office.

1 minute ago, MandoDog said:

Thanks for the prompt and specific responses. Good to hear that I will get to keep my passport. So I can continue to travel within Thailand during the processing period.

Yes you can, but remember that immigration might want to make a home visit. That's unlikely if it's a 2nd+ application at the same office, but something to bear in mind. If they do a visit it's usually within a few days of applying as it needs to be done before the application is sent to the regional office.

1 hour ago, THAILIBAN said:

From what I understanbd, you can apply at any immigration office in the province where you are registered.

For example, Chonburi province has offices in Chonburi, SriRacha and Jomtien. So you should be able to go to any of those to get your extension of stay. And do 90 day reports as well at any of those. Ubonjoe may be able to clarify this

good question; have heard it both ways; i Was with my friend a few years back when he was bounced out of one provincial office and told to go to his 'local office';Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai

Edited by YetAnother

2 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

Where there is more than one office in a province that the offices are designated by districts within the province.

There is no office in Chonburi city. Sri Racha serves that part of the province.

On 11/4/2017 at 7:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

Where there is more than one office in a province that the offices are designated by districts within the province.

There is no office in Chonburi city. Sri Racha serves that part of the province.

Ah, I did not know that Chonburi as the provincial capital does not have an office. Surprising....

So in this case, this means as a foreign resident of Chonburi City, you cannot use the Jomtien office, and as a resident of Pattaya, you can not use Sri Racha for any Visa-related transactions, such as renew extension, do 90 day reports, TM 30 after re-entering the country a.s.o. ?

3 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

Ah, I did not know that Chonburi as the provincial capital does not have an office. Surprising....

So in this case, this means as a foreign resident of Chonburi City, you cannot use the Jomtien office, and as a resident of Pattaya, you can not use Sri Racha for any Visa-related transactions, such as renew extension, do 90 day reports, TM 30 after re-entering the country a.s.o. ?

If you are not living in these districts you cannot use Jomtien immigration (aka Chonburi immigration) Pattaya District, Banglamung District, and Sattahip District.

Sri Rachas is the remainder of Chonburi province.