TREADMILLS - Any advise with treadmill purchases here?

r136dg

I'm looking for a treadmill without fancy bells & whistles (phone apps, pulse alarms, speakers, usb ports, ect), will incline and hold up for jogging on that incline (I'm under 100Kgs). I've been looking at Lazada and really don't know how to differentiate between junk & a solid unit, and would rather not spend more than 25,000 if possible.

What's the minimum HP motor you'd want? Are manual inclines ok? It's confusing because many of them have zero warranty, or maybe 1 or 2 week warranties. Few seem to have a 1 year warranty. The reviews on Lazada are worthless & can't find any reviews on those models outside Lazada.

I would really appreciate hearing anyone's experience with treadmills off Lazada, or any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Hi r1

I have looked at treadmills here and have many reservations. Most are made in China and though many feel substantial, I don't know for sure. I would not go with a manual incline... it would break the flow of changing incline while you walk/jog...

What concerns me is that the ones in the gym that I go to are often "down" - - I live out in the countryside and if they break that easily, it will not be easy for me to get a repair person out here. For that reason, I would not buy from Lazada w/o a warrantee or guarantee or means to having it repaired. 

I just don't trust the quality these days... but maybe go to a local health club and talk to someone there about whether or not their machines are reliable and which brand they recommend... 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was the git who pretty much ended Nordic Trac in the UK: the makers of the funny cross-country ski machines. I wrote to the Advertising Standards Authority and they agreed that some of the claims didn't make sense. Anyway, to get to the punchline, the company started making treadmills with ridiculously steep inclines instead. Walking up a steep slops is very demanding, well-tolerated and saves your knees. So for home use a steep slope and walking would probably make it last. I'd get the steepest slope possible, because I think the thump of running loosens everything. 

If you just want cardiovascular work an exercise bike, or a real bike and a magnetic turbo trainer, would be a lot more durable. It takes a few months to build the endurance in your quads that allows you to really work your heart, but after that it's fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put on your running shoes.  Go to your local mall or department store.  Try a few out and see what suits you.  Listen to what the shop assistants say.  (In my experience they're surprisingly knowledgeable about which ones are rubbish quality.)

Do check your door width (if applicable).  Some are simply too bulky to go through a normal door.

• Thanks 1

I recently bought a Major Sport crosstrainer through Lazada.

Cost was about 12,000 baht. It's great!

Anything that gets me exercising must be good - and sticking it where I can see the TV works wonders.

It's enough. Price is good, and the display shows time exercised, pulse, speed, and estimated calories.

That's all I need to know to encourage me to do more. It has 4 modes if you want to be more competetive.

Assembly takes an hour or so, but once done, it's done.

I have very little experience with such devices, but I'm happy with this.

By the way, it's made in Taiwan.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

I recently bought a Major Sport crosstrainer through Lazada.

Cost was about 12,000 baht. It's great!

Anything that gets me exercising must be good - and sticking it where I can see the TV works wonders.

It's enough. Price is good, and the display shows time exercised, pulse, speed, and estimated calories.

That's all I need to know to encourage me to do more. It has 4 modes if you want to be more competetive.

Assembly takes an hour or so, but once done, it's done.

I have very little experience with such devices, but I'm happy with this.

By the way, it's made in Taiwan.

Is a cross trainer a treadmill?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

It's all exercise machines to me.

Whatever you buy it has a positive effect.

Better than being picky on helpful forums.

The guy is asking for a treadmill particularly. A cross trainer would not be suitable for either overweight or elderly people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

An educated guess would be 50% end up as an expensive towel rack.

Have you ever committed to an exercise program before?

I would join a gym for a few months and see if you have the motivation

Just depends on the person, if it were me it would be a towel hanger, but I have gone through three sets of tires on my bicycle in the last few years. My wife on the other hand has worn out two treadmills. We won't join gyms because we like the freedom to chose our time and also like our privacy.

• Thanks 1

Lol the guy is asking for a treadmill, we have awnsers of:

- get a rowing machine

- join a gym for a few months first

-save ur knees, get a bike machine

-get a cross trainer 

-take up reading whilst you exercise 

-go to the sauna instead

-get your running shoes on and go test them all

so to follow suit, and to answer to your question-

Forget the running machine, just cut some snacks out instead.

nah just go gym and ask 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Seanbhoy said:

Lol the guy is asking for a treadmill, we have awnsers of:

- get a rowing machine

- join a gym for a few months first

-save ur knees, get a bike machine

-get a cross trainer 

-take up reading whilst you exercise 

-go to the sauna instead

-get your running shoes on and go test them all

so to follow suit, and to answer to your question-

Forget the running machine, just cut some snacks out instead.

nah just go gym and ask 

You forgot one, build a swimming pool - best exercise ever...

• Thanks 1

Thankyou all for the responses. Some learning curves here, no doubt. From my research so far I believe a continuous drive motor is more important than HP & an electronic incline of 12-15% would be a must. Of course when you get into units with these features it looks like price tags start around 70,000+ and of course they have all the electronic crap I'd rather not have.

There's only a Big C near me & those units are junk, but I'll venture into Chiang Mai (as suggested with running shoes) to check out a couple sporting goods stores there.

If I come across anything extraordinary I'll post experience/purchase.

Thanks!

Ketosis, fasting, plant based whole foods diet, ect., all that's good stuff; but, I'm simply after the legs workout with cardio, not weight loss;-)

Edited by r136dg
xtra reply

If you have not already looked, check out HomePro online as they often have some good deals. Last month I saw a 89,000 baht treadmill going for 29,000. i guess it was a end of model runout, but at that original price I would expect it to be a decent machine.

• 6 months later...

I am looking for a heart rate cruise control treadmill .

It does at it says , it keeps your heart rate at your desired beats per minute.

I'm burgered if I can find one here.

Has anybody come across them ?

On 11/7/2017 at 6:58 PM, Mickmick said:

If you have not already looked, check out HomePro online as they often have some good deals. Last month I saw a 89,000 baht treadmill going for 29,000. i guess it was a end of model runout, but at that original price I would expect it to be a decent machine.

Lazada has those kind od discounts on treadmills sometimes, but I wonder if the prices aren't just inflated to make it look like the bargain of the century?