Well chosen pieces of property, on the understanding that they would probably be resold after 10-20 years, depending on how things went.

In the meantime the property would be rented/leased for the best return possible for the least day-to-day hassle.

This is what I do on a daily basis for the company I work for. It's interesting to see how different investments perform, especially when you can compare real data from different commercial and residential categories.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

You just have to remember that if you withdraw before 5 years you get heavily penalised.

LTFs can be good for Thai income tax payers because of the tax credit.

There's only a penalty within five years (it's actually six or seven now, I forget) if you use fund charges as a deduction but yes, for taxpayers they are especially cost-effective.

The only regret I have in my fifteen years of living here is, following the advice you've just given for as long as I did! If I'd done what I thought was the right thing at the time I would have been far wealthier today than I am. Fortunately, however, I eventually stopped listening to that same old mantra and for the past few years I've had some very exciting investment returns. I strongly recommend that posters make up their own mind on this subject, objectively and based solely on fact rather than on bar stool banter, on this point.

Without working, investing in Chinesse companies likew Alibaba, etc, may be a good deal. With work involved, any import-export activity may be lucrative. Investing with some management involved, mix use townhouses may be good, up to 3.000.000 THB. That's the favorite real estate investment by the Chinese in Thailand, with a rental return about 0.25 % / month.

Edited by Muzarella

1) Soapy Massage Parlor <cheesy grin, eye roll, laughs>  
2) Harley Davidson Dealership in BKK
3) Restaurant specializing in fish entrees on the beach in Krabi

I'm assuming the Thai genie is giving me three wishes, 'eh?  :biggrin:

If you have made Thailand your home you should have some investments here so you will not be too badly effected by exchange rates. The Thai baht has been a very stable currency over the last 15 years.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The only regret I have in my fifteen years of living here is, following the advice you've just given for as long as I did! If I'd done what I thought was the right thing at the time I would have been far wealthier today than I am. Fortunately, however, I eventually stopped listening to that same old mantra and for the past few years I've had some very exciting investment returns. I strongly recommend that posters make up their own mind on this subject, objectively and based solely on fact rather than on bar stool banter, on this point.

Thailand, as far as investment is concerned is no different for investors than any other country on Earth. It rarely suits the slow witted to invest here! Personally Ive found it more than satisfactory.

Most expats love to buy high all giddy in a new country and wanting to impress the new fiancee and free her from the bar

And then for reasons to numerous to mention they sell low. And fly off into said sunset

All thais landlords know this...Just a matter of time and they got plenty of that

As a foreigner you cannot  legally purchase land.....Do not believe anyone who tells  you otherwise.... many foreigners have lost all of their savings  establishing fake companies with fake nominees. There are many other investments that work but leave the land to Thai citizens.

As a foreigner you cannot  legally purchase land.....Do not believe anyone who tells  you otherwise.... many foreigners have lost all of their savings  establishing fake companies with fake nominees. There are many other investments that work but leave the land to Thai citizens.
That's odd you would think there was at least one post in the search section confirmimg this how was it stolen? ... or.. Shall we say..
Your stretching the truth just a tad

1)

Well chosen land, farmland or empty plots that can be leased or rented out. Land only gives a running income not less than long-term fixed bank account (1.5% p.a. and up). Over a 10-year period land value will in average doubled; however some land doubles value in 5-years only,  so on top of interest one can have up to four times the investment back – or more a few specific areas – over a decade.

2)

Stock market, well chosen dividend paying, SET-listed public limited companies (Plc), with a reasonable P/E (price earning) and B/V (book value). In long-term average you can make 7% a year from a combination of dividend (after tax) and increased trade value; i.e. you double up your investment in a decade. If selecting the right companies, in the right business, you can double up in 5-years or shorter time, also at SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand).

3)

If inexperienced – or just as a spread of risk – one can invest in so-called "Fund Books", which are mutual funds. The banks Asset Department will take from 1% to 1½% a year to handle the funds, however some do the job quite well. You can choose both dividend paying funds, and accumulating funds. If choosing a mutual fund with bonds only, you are not taxed, and if choosing LTF (Long Term Funds), you are not taxed either, if keeping the invest "long term"; i.e. minimum 5-years or 7-years; depending of chosen risk-factor the gain has been from around 20% (after annual dividend) up to 40% (accumulating) over the last 5-years.

Above 1-3 are based on personal experience.

38 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

That's odd you would think there was at least one post in the search section confirmimg this how was it stolen? ... or.. Shall we say..
Your stretching the truth just a tad

No he's not stretching the truth at all, in my 15 years here I know personally of two people who lost money and property that way. The first was an American who agreed to buy a house from an Australian and the agent recommended a lawyer. The American made no checks on the lawyer whatsoever and put total faith in him, including signing documents that he didn't understand because they were written in Thai. It was five years later when his new girlfriend looked at his tabien bahn and realised the lawyer was the owner of the property and he'd issued an usufruct to the elderly American. Had he made checks he would have found out the would be lawyer was no such thing. The matter is with the civil courts but the elderly American will be dead from old age before it gets its first hearing in about eight years time!

Correct- and I have been  in Thailand since the 60s- and know of at least 20 people who have been done in thinking they can own land- fake or incompetent lawyers; bent real estate offices; land offices that issue documents in other people's names and more.

My favorite story- a foreigner working  as the Managing Director of a company who was told by his 'staff' that he could buy land- all he had to do is give them the money and they would hold the land for him in their name . I urged him not to do it- he did-  and lost some big money-never saw the staff again and eventually was transferred back to his home country-