What causes?

sinbin

Does anyone know what causes these red marks above my eyes? They always appear after a nights sleep and can last about 24 hours before fading. There is no pain and the red colour varies. I do usually wake up with an headache but the marks do not always coincide with the headaches. There is no swelling around the bruise like marks and they appear over either eye but never both at the same time. Thanks in advance for any sensible suggestions.

003.JPG

This appears to be bruising and that it appears over only one eye suggests to me it is coming from lying on that side, irritation from the pillow perhaps (you do not by any chance wear an eye mask?)

However it is not normal to bruise that easily. Are you on a blood thinner? If so suggest seeing doctor/getting your blood checked. If you are not on a blood thinner it would be well to see a doctor explaining that you have started to bruise very easily and get a complete blood ocunt and possibly coagulation profile.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Are you on a blood thinner?

I'm on no medication or suppliments and I do not wear an eye mask at night. It'll appear over either eye but never the two at the same time. I've been getting this problem for a few years now but being as I suffer nothing other these embarrassing red marks I've never saw a doctor about it. I saw a nurse once and she said if I wasn't suffering any other problems then not to worry. The mark in my picture is well defined and probably the worst I've seen. Hence my concern now.

Does it appear in any other places you have hair?

Closer looking at the picture looks like red blotchy rash as well on your forehead.

I don't know, but I'm not sure how your brain perceives stress when you're asleep.

Could the food you eat and drink before bed be a factor, or the soap you wash with or cream you use before bed be causing it?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Does it appear in any other places you have hair?   No

Closer looking at the picture looks like red blotchy rash as well on your forehead. Not a rash but more likely from towel drying after my shower. The mark is more like a 'love bite'/Hicky.

I don't know, but I'm not sure how your brain perceives stress when you're asleep. Neither do I

Could the food you eat and drink before bed be a factor, or the soap you wash with or cream you use before bed be causing it? I don't know but I doubt it.

This is bruising.

As one ages, the skin and capillaries do get more fragile, but still something has tio provoke it. Since it is always on side or the other I expect it has to do with the side you are sleeping in and something that puts pressure onto your forehead as you lie on your side but hard to think what that can be.

Are you noticing easy bruising or petechiae (rd spots) elsewhere on your body? Have you had a physical check up in past year or so?

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are you noticing easy bruising or petechiae (rd spots) elsewhere on your body? Have you had a physical check up in past year or so?

Not at all. I've had a annual check up for the last 11-12 years. Never a problem. Currently my BP is around 138-42 over 80. So am going for a check up this week hopefully.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is bruising.

If it was then surely I'd feel pain on the bruise site, but I don't.

I went for a full medical and blood tests today. My BP was high everything else was within ranges set. I asked the doctor about the mark. He believes that when I sleep my BP shoots up which is why I usually wake up to an headache. The mark, he believes are the capillaries busting. He found nothing that would otherwise cause this problem. I'm now on a month supply of Amlodipine 5mg once a day.

Thanks for all replies. 

Archived