Change Surname Of Thai Wife

Ive been happily married for 3 years to my Thai wife (I'm English) and we live in Bangkok.

Her I.D. card expires later this month and will be renewed ... now my question is what surname should she put on the new I.D. card ? ..... her maiden name or my surname ?

I am under the impression that it is better to keep the existing maiden name on the card.

If she does submit my surname does she lose any rights within Thailand, regarding buying land etc or are there any hidden benefits ?

Thanks in advance.

DT

No, she does not lose any rights if she uses your name. My wife uses my name on her ID and passport and has had no problems buying land, buying condos, buying cars, or registering my private plane in her name. Many years ago it was a problem but no worries now. I wondered also if she would be treated differently because she has a farang last name and happily she is treated with respect just as before.

Documents will need to be changed.

The Tabien Baan is easy as this is generally dealt with at the office where you change name and the new id card is issued.

The DL will accept the chaneg of name in the Tabien baan/id card.

My wife has my family name.

She says it is much easier to write than her old Thai surname. :o

It also raises less questions when we check into a hotel together.

My wife took my surname when we got married and I find that when we go to check in at a hotel the price gets bumped up. I've seen the same thing when questioning the price of things over the phone. She now has to pay farang prices!! I do think she does get more respect with the western name though.

She can use your surname and absolutely nothing will change with her rights in TH. My wife changed her last name when we got married and until now she haven't got any difficulties of any kind.
On the other hand she can continue to use her maiden name with no difficulties, she can still get Visas as your spouse (she shows the marriage certificate) you can get spouse Visa for Thailand (show same certifcate). As this is the 21st century nobody in Europe bats an eyelid if you have different names, you dont even have to be a different sex :o Edited by Mahout Angrit

She will not be able to apply for the "30 Baht" (no free) health system.

WCA

My wife had no problem getting a new 30 baht Gold card after her cards were stolen last month from her handbag She had her Thai ID card in her married surname (since last May 2006).

First she got her ID card renewed in her married name again and then she applied for her new replacement 30 baht Gold Card at Khon Kaen Hospital. They asked for her ID card

PIECE OF CAKE - No problems whatsoever.

ONLY query was out of interest " How do you pronounce your married surname"

So it should be a piece of cake!! My wife is as Thai as she ever was and entitled to all the Rights of a Thai National whatever her surname (unless Thais married to Foreigners are treated as 2nd class Thais).

Mind you I have to admit when my wife visited a clinic with her Gold Card 2 weeks ago they saw her name and asked if she was married to a Farang. She said Yes and they literally threw the tablets at her and said NO charge. Clearly Farang wives are expected to pay. At least in the UK the nurses and doctors recognise patients as equal and not based on their wealth. To be honest that ONE nurse was the only one that behaved that way.

Now if I had gone for treatment and of course would have had to rightly pay, no doubt they would have been very polite to me even though I am not Thai (money talks - what a shame. Money does not make me better class and more worthy than a poorer person just luckier.

If your wife does not get a Thai ID with her married surname I could envisage problems with various official documents in the future (e.g. getting a Passport and/or Visas in the married name if the Thai ID Card name mismatch, AND it may be heavily queried by other countries' Immigration if a pre-marriage surname is used.

Does not exactly support the genuineness or authenticity of the marriage having different surnames on major documents - JUST MY OPINION (I have NO experience)

Regards, Dave

If your wife does not get a Thai ID with her married surname I could envisage problems with various official documents in the future (e.g. getting a Passport and/or Visas in the married name if the Thai ID Card name mismatch, AND it may be heavily queried by other countries' Immigration if a pre-marriage surname is used.

From 18 years experience and living both in Thailand and Europe there have been absolutely no problems travelling, living or dealing with officials.The documents dont mismatch, they are all in the same maiden name. My wife even avoids the slight jibe of being called "Mia Farang' in Thailand if I'm not with her. :o

Does not exactly support the genuineness or authenticity of the marriage having different surnames on major documents - JUST MY OPINION (I have NO experience)

Thats very 'old fashioned' in 2007 :D It's not only the famous who retain their maiden name these days.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Thats very 'old fashioned' in 2007 :o It's not only the famous who retain their maiden name these days.

I accept what you say and of course the rich and famous do not come under suspicion by Immigration.

I was referring mainly to the possibility of trying getting a Resident Visa for a new Thai wife, if you have courted her mostly indirectly (e.g. over the Internet), her English may not be good (your Thai nil) and you have not lived with her for long (if at at all) at the time of marriage. These are ALL signs the EU Immigration are looking at for a "suspect marriage". I am NOT saying the marriage is not Bona Fide, just that these are grounds for reasonable suspicion (especially if several apply). The Thai wife ALSO not committing to changing her name adds to Immigrations nervousness and suspicion. I was not attempting to pass judgement and I agree with what you are saying (why should a wife automatically have to give up her name - although my understanding it is common in Thailand as it is in the UK) I WAS trying to give an example of a possible practical problem (fair, prejudiced or not).

I am sorry if I appear "old Fashioned". I was trying to recognise in the Modern age MANY Foreigners meet their wives over the Internet, marry after one or only a few "in person" contacts and then try to get "marriage Visa's or Residency for their new wives in their country. I am merely pointing out that not changing the surname to that of the husband change does not add to an EU/US etc. Immigration Office confidence.

I am told Immigration are NOT usually querying the marriage genuineness of THEIR citizen, but the motives of the foreign wife from a poor country coming into their country. They fear (as often happens) the wife"disappears and overstays as an illegal" once in their country OR "holds out" with the marriage for a minimum time before "not needing their husband" to be able to stay in their own right.

I in the past tried to bring my first Thai wife into Spain. I was advised ALL the above examples INCLUDING the surname not being the same would be unhelpful.

The surname in my case was not an issue as my first wife bore my Surname. My first wife did however turn out to be a major Gold Digger with considerable deception, lying and planning to initially cover up that fact. She only wanted a great time, holidays, clothes and GOLD whilst I was married to her and IN Thailand, and then she tried to get me to go back to Spain ALONE (whilst I tried to get her VISA -which she never intended taking up) and keep sending money to her so she could stay in Thailand and keep her University Thai boyfriend. I only found out about him after I went back to Spain (having already finished with my wife).

Several people regretfully felt unable to interfere and tell me what was going on behind my back even though some had become my friends. HOWEVER, thankfully ONE did feel uncomfortable with the deceptions of my first wife (which she found out late herself) and made several BIG HINTS as best she could to try and protect me. Long story, but that Lady is now my wonderful and kind second wife :D and I have chosen to live in Thailand with her not take her to Spain.)[/i]

Regards, Dave

From 18 years experience and living both in Thailand and Europe there have been absolutely no problems travelling, living or dealing with officials.The documents dont mismatch, they are all in the same maiden name. My wife even avoids the slight jibe of being called "Mia Farang' in Thailand if I'm not with her. :o

Thats very 'old fashioned' in 2007 :D It's not only the famous who retain their maiden name these days.

I work all over the world and as a traveler i have found that it is a lot easier to get my wife a visa to go with or come visit since we changed her name. Sorry not all places are as open minded as you would like them to be.

She will not be able to apply for the "30 Baht" (no free) health system.

WCA

[/qu

Not so..living up here in Udon and the wife with my last name on her ID card has applied and received her 30 Baht...free health plan which is good for 25 years. Also, my daughter with my last name also received her card for the 30 Baht ..free health plan ..which is good for 7 years. ...Akuhead

Regards, Dave

I have had experience in this. In Australia my wife’s married name (my name) is used on all documents, passport, ownership, citizenship, medical and everything else a normal Australian national would put in their name. She has never notified Thai authorities of being married to me and she has kept her maiden name in Thailand. So all documents, ID card, passport etc. are kept in her maiden name in Thailand. In other words she uses my name in Australia and her name in Thailand.

What happened: On applying to renew a Thai passport over 4 years ago at the Sydney Thai Consulate the officers there refused to do it. She had all proper documents but the excuse they used was "your married name is on your Australian Passport, you can't get a Thai Passport with your maiden name". "You can not have 2 names." Then the officer advised us to "go to Bangkok and get it done there, they will not ask any questions there." True and as bizarre as it was she used her Thai ID card in BKK and had a new Thai passport in 2 days.

Names miss matching can cause problems, but I still think it is better for her to keep her maiden name in Thailand.

What happened: On applying to renew a Thai passport over 4 years ago at the Sydney Thai Consulate the officers there refused to do it. She had all proper documents but the excuse they used was "your married name is on your Australian Passport, you can't get a Thai Passport with your maiden name". "You can not have 2 names."

Names miss matching can cause problems, but I still think it is better for her to keep her maiden name in Thailand.

While as I said above this wouldn't happen to my wife as her name is the same on her British passport as her Thai passport (her maiden name) so she only has one identity. It is odd the experience you had at the Thai Embassy in Oz, why did she produce her Australian passport at the Thai embassy? In London they dont even ask if the applicant has a British passport all they require besides the completed application form is her Thai ID. Indeed many applicants dont have another passport.

What happened: On applying to renew a Thai passport over 4 years ago at the Sydney Thai Consulate the officers there refused to do it. She had all proper documents but the excuse they used was "your married name is on your Australian Passport, you can't get a Thai Passport with your maiden name". "You can not have 2 names."

While as I said above this wouldn't happen to my wife as her name is the same on her British passport as her Thai passport (her maiden name) so she only has one identity. It is odd the experience you had at the Thai Embassy in Oz, why did she produce her Australian passport at the Thai embassy? In London they dont even ask if the applicant has a British passport all they require besides the completed application form is her Thai ID. Indeed many applicants dont have another passport.

The Thai passport had expired by about 10 years. She was using her Aussie one for travel. The Consular Officials wanted to know how she travelled so asked to view it, that is where the problems started. The Sydney Consulate is run by bureaucratic old Thai men, they are not helpful and just didn't seem interested. There were some staffers there willing to help but the senior older man stood over them. They could have given better advice than "go to Bangkok get it done there they won't check".

The Thai passport had expired by about 10 years. She was using her Aussie one for travel. The Consular Officials wanted to know how she travelled so asked to view it, that is where the problems started. The Sydney Consulate is run by bureaucratic old Thai men, they are not helpful and just didn't seem interested. There were some staffers there willing to help but the senior older man stood over them. They could have given better advice than "go to Bangkok get it done there they won't check".
I see and I agree, so next time it'll be OK if you dont let it elapse again (you need to extend it soon, after 5 years...dont forget :o

My wife,after her thai husband died,reassumed her maiden name,and didn't change it after marryng me;no problem for me,it's her right!

Now,she could ask,and obtein without problem,my cityzeship;to make it easier i would like her to take my surname too,meaning she would have two surnames.

Is it possible to do it in Thailand?Same advice please. :o

My wife,after her thai husband died,reassumed her maiden name,and didn't change it after marryng me;no problem for me,it's her right!

Now,she could ask,and obtein without problem,my cityzeship;to make it easier i would like her to take my surname too,meaning she would have two surnames.

Is it possible to do it in Thailand?Same advice please. :o

When we ask about doing this same thing 2 surnames they told my wife she could not. Good luck

Not so..living up here in Udon and the wife with my last name on her ID card has applied and received her 30 Baht...free health plan which is good for 25 years. Also, my daughter with my last name also received her card for the 30 Baht ..free health plan ..which is good for 7 years. ...Akuhead

At what age can a child get a 30 baht free health card?

My wife had the same surname as I, the only problem being that it us spelt the same way as the word for 'iron', which gets a comment everytime she uses it. She shpould have aded a 'garang'.

..At what age can a child get a 30 baht free health card?

My wife had the same surname as I, the only problem being that it us spelt the same way as the word for 'iron', which gets a comment everytime she uses it. She shpould have aded a 'garang'.

Hi,

My wife got my 3 year old stepson's 30 baht free health card only the other day - NO PROBLEM.

My wife "thinks" a Thai National child is eligible from Date of Birth.

Hope this helps

Dave

I did not see the "?" mark.

There never was any law that a person with a foreign last name could not own or buy land or property. There was an internal directive in the land department not to register land for foreign married couples because of the joint property provisions of marriage and the law that foreigners can not own property. That was the easy way out of potential future problems.

About 5 years or so ago a new rule was made that allows registration of land ownership by those married to foreigners but prevents spouse later claiming ownership under marriage joint property rules. Thai buyer says money used is not joint marriage property and spouse agrees. Problem solved.